Home

JA Dying?

Obi_Kwiet

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trolling aside...

Looks like JA has dropped out of the top 10 with the next list (ending May 29th, same source):

1 City Of Heroes - NCsoft $46

2 Far Cry - Ubisoft $39

3 Battlefield Vietnam - Electronic Arts $36

4 Rise Of Nations - Microsoft $35

5 MS Age Of Mythology - Microsoft $33

6 Unreal Tournament 2004 - Atari $38

7 Call Of Duty - Activision $39

8 Counter Strike: Condition Zero - Vivendi Universal Publishing $35

9 The Sims Deluxe - Electronic Arts $27

10 Drop JC - eGames $10

Though it could pop up again I suppose.

I'm thinking the game will get a boost (if we don't have a JK4 by then) around the time of the Star Wars DVD releases (September), and then with Episode 3 (next Spring/Fall).

It's still the "only" dedicated server Jedi game out there, next to Jedi Outcast (and still will be even alongside Battlefront and Republic Commando).

PS: According to a quick scan of ASE, JA is beating out JK2 again. (490 servers 765 players for JA vs. 381 servers/524 players for JK2).

And while nWo's people are playing JK2 1.02 (152 of them), 356 are playing 1.04 (and only 16 playing 1.03). The majority of JA players are playing 1.01, all force powers enabled, all weapons enabled, with a mod (629 with mods vs. 136 with no mods) of some kind (admin mods, with some version of JA+ being the most popular). FFA (JA has 465 players here) is first in both games, Siege (102 players) is second in JA with Duel (78 players) a ways behind. CTF: 53 players, Team FFA: 38 players, PowerDuel: 29 players.

In JK2 it's FFA first with CTF a long ways behind (only 92 servers, vs. 366 for FFA) with Duel and then Team FFA trailing far behind. Only 5 playing JM, 1 playing Holocron, and 0 playing CTY.

The next month or so should be exceptionally good for players - mods that shake things up are moving along - OJP , MovieBattles, ForceMod 3 and my as yet undisclosed mod.

With so many mods going forward, I have a hard time seeing how JA is dying ...

Hate to say we told you so... but we did and 99% of you refused to listen.

Amidala may not have the "***hole gene" ;) that some of us guys have, but I have to give her credit for holding out this long and trying to make things better for as long as she has.

The rest of you though... dismissed us as "arrogant" or "full of ourselves" but when we told you this "how dare you take the time to learn & play the game better than me, I'm going to ban your lamer ass" attitude started showing up on public servers, more of you people should have done something about it.

It all started back with the jk2 vulcan's admin mod and reached a boiling point with what was the AIDS in the blood of this community:

Jedi Academy mod for jk2.

You guys have been jumping on this slider guy for months now, but you are about a year and a 1/2 late on your crusade.

That chosen one jackass and his mod did more damage to this community than any other group of people or mod did.

When the dickhead-admin mentality started popping up, here came his mod to reward them with new "punishment" features in each version after version and of course the retards snatched it up like a crackhead does $5 rocks.

Yet almost none of you would speak up against him and what he was doing back then and the current state of things would not be as bad as they are if the rest of you would have spoken up like the competitive community did.

Sure some of you would say in general, "abusive admin mods are bad" but you never had the acorns to name names and put the spotlight on the people who were putting them out week after week.

But then again, it was just us being "elite pricks" for picking on the mod makers/admins/honor dorks right?

Oh sure chosen made his mod for JA and removes the punishment features because he "learned from the mistake he had made with those commands in jk2"...

right, anyone want to buy a bridge I'm selling?

The rest of you finally caught on to what we had been preaching from day one and put some heat on the guy as well as these other mod makers.

And guess what?

It worked like we told you it would.

Being "popular" with the general community is what mod makers thrive for. If they are praised and can say "I have the most popular mod in the series" you think they are going to change anything?

Bash them like the pricks that they are (for making a mod that they know harms the community, yet continue to put it out to feed their ego) and stop public support of their mod and watch how things change. Just like they did with our pal chosen one all of a sudden.

Sure there will always be guys who continue to pump out this grabage, but you people could have made a difference if you spoke up and acted long ago, you know back then when you were making fun of us for doing just that?

:rolleyes:

My point?

None really.

Post your little jpeg image replies, make your snide remarks, post your game spy server/player stats and try to prove me wrong, but in the end you know I'm right.

This community is dead and you have yourself to blame for it.

Originally posted by TK-8252

I think it's time to put the stick down, Ami. The horse is dead. :(

I know real FFA is dead, I was trying to explain that to poor dear Dark Fox and give him some alternatives (CTF, Siege, Movie Battles, UT2004) when a couple of slider's groupies showed up and told me to sit down and shut up. Well, you know how I am going to respond to that! :amidala:

I have already conceded that the honor weenies have won with their scorched-earth policy and the game is dying because of it. But those honor guys just won't get their heads out of the sand (or wherever else their heads are stuck) and see what destruction they have done.

These are some numbers from a Saturday night (June 19):

Call of Duty: 4701 servers, 7196 players

Unreal Tournament 2004: 3539 servers, 4119 players

Jedi Academy: 425 servers, 663 "players" (many are bots)

'nuff said.

But on a brighter note, FK| unnamed is back and Sanguis Fratrum has two servers that I have seen people playing on, so that is cool. I even saw mediablitz on one of my servers for a few minutes, that was amazing!

unnamed, go to http://www.firetrill.com/forums and register there. They are mostly gun noobs but there is a saber ladder there that might interest you.

unnamed, the JA community isn't really dead, but I can understand how you can say that. Like Amidala proved, games that were released after JA easily outnumbered it by popularity. We can't blame it all on these abusive admins or the admin mods, I just don't think everyone wants to be a Jedi and swing a Lightsaber.

Besides, I think the Jedi Knight series aren't too well known compared to other games like Counter-Strike and Unreal Tournament. You know how most First Person Shooters get well known instantly befored they're released.

well we are not really "back" in the normal sense.

most of the original SF (and later shock ~) guys are not playing full time.

we have all pretty much branched into other games but for old times sake, some of us decided to give jka another run in our spare time.

SF does have two servers up and you will see some old names on a few ladders here and there, but don't expect to see the monster game play we had in jk2 in our prime.

A lot of us (like myself) have not touched the game since it came out, but I'm sure in very short time we will be raging noobs across the servers just like the old days.

;)

I'm doing my best on top of school and RL to crank out a new xmod to fix the ctf community. Newer version will have lift delay fixes, ammo bugfixes (oops), a full internal SQL server for stat logging, and some more stuff.

The SQL stat logging means things like recording match scores via internal database, top ten players, real ip logging with aka commands, and whatever else I can think of. I was having issues getting ja to accept something complex like a database but I'm passed that now.

Latest beta is always up at: (in the console type) connect cat5camp.com

Another side note:

You know what I find funny is I go away for a month or so and slider copies all features of xmod, throws a few emotes and saber hilts in and calls it a day... Now I understand why chosen got so upset with this kid.

i agree with unnamed, mods like vulcanos ruined the game. but not only that. remember jk2 before the release of jk2 1.04? i know lots of people that played jk2 1.03 and they don't play jka thanks to jk2 1.04. simple has that. my hope is that this won't happen in the next jedi knight game.

Originally posted by Prime

I think we pretty much can. :)

Yeah, but not we can't blame it all on that. I don't think this game would have been as popular as say Unreal Tournament 2004 even if this honour code never excisted. I'm sure JO/JA would be more popular than now, but not enough to have like 2000 servers.

Not everyone wants to swing a Lightsaber with the Force, and as you've noticed most First Person Shooters become real famous even before they're released. I like JA, but the original part of it makes me sick. That's where all the wonderful mods come in, one of them being the great Movie Battles 2.

Originally posted by Master William

Yeah, but not we can't blame it all on that. I don't think this game would have been as popular as say Unreal Tournament 2004 even if this honour code never excisted. I'm sure JO/JA would be more popular than now, but not enough to have like 2000 servers.

It would have been nice if we had had a chance to find out, but now we'll never know what might have been....

Jedi Knight games have all of the things that other action games have (guns, different game types, scores) AND in addition had the ultimate, coolest melee weapon AND Force powers, which added a whole new dimension. AND it was based on one of the most beloved "universes" in the world, with all the colorful characters and locations. It had all the elements for true, lasting popularity, even without the type of add-ons that Half Life has.

But, it also had the Achilles heel of made-up, silly "honor" rules and the admin mods to brutally enforce them, thereby driving away both new and old players, instead of welcoming them. All because too many of them got SO upset that their virtual character was "killed" while they were typing something, or while they were foolishly standing around "unnarmed" when they should have been playing the game. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad and pathetic.

Originally posted by Master William

Not everyone wants to swing a Lightsaber with the Force...

Hmmmph, what's wrong with kids nowadays?!.....

could jk2/jka ever be as popular as die hard fps' like ut or q3?

No of course not, but not everything has to be based on sheer #'s.

But even being smaller, it could have still had a thriving player community for much longer than it did.

Look at tribes.

Old game, smaller than the giant player base games like counter-strike, but it has one of the best and most active community bases around.

The reason jk2/a "died" was simply this:

connecting to servers and playing (ie: killing other players) became looked upon almost along the lines of something like game hacking/aimbotting.

You pop down 39.99 for a game, fire up multiplayer for some action...

and see:

"You are banned from this server."

everytime you try and play online almost anywhere.

Why would people stick around in that atmosphere?

Even as bad as the abusive admin commands were, I still say the single worst thing to ever happen to this series was the /kickban command.

It made it too easy for 9 year old kids who were too stupid or not trustworthy enough for rcon, to just "make go bye-bye" anything and anyone who did not conform to their little play world.

Originally posted by =X=Master HeX

Another side note:

You know what I find funny is I go away for a month or so and slider copies all features of xmod, throws a few emotes and saber hilts in and calls it a day... Now I understand why chosen got so upset with this kid.

Can we officially say that Slider is the JA eqivalent of BOFD or whatever the **** his name was?

You expected him to NOT touch your work? ****, I just won the pool.

Originally posted by FK | unnamed

A lot of us (like myself) have not touched the game since it came out, but I'm sure in very short time we will be raging noobs across the servers just like the old days.

Don't forget to record some demos.... those JK2 demos you guys posted here were some of the funniest moments I had ever gotten out of that game. ;)

The whole "Debate" (if you could call it one) really boils down to one question.

"Who do you blame for the (death of/ruination of/decline of/etc the community)?"

With the answer given either being:

A) Raven Software & LucasArts for creating and releasing Jedi Academy.

OR

B) "The Fans" who sent the community in a certain direction favoring the non-competative, role-player-lite, honor code obsessed, admin abuse, etc. atmosphere/attitude.

Then after the blame game, the "Solutions" being proposed were:

1) Make a new game that's better, since JA sucks. (this hasn't happened yet)

2) Make a mod, 'cause JA can be "fixed." (many people have done this)

3) Bitch & Moan until Raven/LA changes the game to what we want with patches. (the most popular choice by far)

4) Reject JA and go back to playing JK2.

5) Reject Star Wars and Jedi Knight and go play some other game entirely.

Since all this has been covered in excrutiating detail time and again with plenty of flames on all sides, I don't see the benefit in beating a dead horse...

The topic itself was basically a rant/vent that wasn't necessary, but there was no need to close it since it wasn't turning into a flame war. But shame on anyone who wishes simply to fight about something old like this just for the sake of fighting...

It really is a simple deal in the end. Either you like JA, you don't like it, or you kind of like it. There are definately more than a few people still playing JK2 and JA, and some that play both and plenty that play neither. It's enough that we can all get along, despite our differing tastes.

For me it's not about the game I like being the most popular game on the planet, or having the best graphics or most popular engine. I just like a game that's fun to play, moddable and one I can pickup and play anytime. There's a large number of "lamers" and bad admins out there, but as we've all said until we sound like broken records, every community has those, so they can't be eliminated (much as we'd love to). Since we can still find good servers, the fun can continue...

Archived