Home

JA Dying?

Obi_Kwiet

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many people picked up JA just for Siege.

The stats are decent, thats still a good ammount of players in both games, but there are some questions:

How many are bots? How many of those servers are empty?

and the main one: How many are really playing the game?

Its great if 600 people are playing on 400 servers... Most servers are empty, I would think maybe 200 of those 400 are empty. And then, out of the 600 players, probably 350 are honor players. Then maybe 50 players in spectator mode (probably 1 per every 2 or 3 servers) And then maybe 75 bots. Thats 475 players that you dont want to play with (or cant, or wont), out of 600.

Of course all of that is just a guess....

Originally posted by =X=Master HeX

Another side note:

You know what I find funny is I go away for a month or so and slider copies all features of xmod, throws a few emotes and saber hilts in and calls it a day... Now I understand why chosen got so upset with this kid.

well, you should be expecting this, hex, after all it happened the same in jk2.

Amidala's right. I play Movie Battles II, and everyone's just waiting for Battlefront to come out. Trust me, MBII will die as soon as Battlefront is released. It's basically a sort of replacement for Battlefront until it is released.

And the point of saying this is that this will most likely happen to all parts of the JA community, the guys who play with their honour-rules, the normal FFA players, Siege lovers, etc. In the end the new games replace parts of JA, though I don't think JA will die out completely. But the population is almost guaranteed to decrease.

Originally posted by Obi_Kwiet

It.s worth 20$. Not the 50$ I paied for it though...

I look at it this way:

- I paid $50 for JA on day of release for PC

- I paid $50 more for the Mac version, ordering it when it came available.

I have no regrets whatsoever.

Why? Because the SP experience is - IMO - better than *any* other FPS put out last year. Yes - better than Halo, than Call of Duty, than Tron 2.0, etc. I consider the SP experience better than any except for KotOR.

As for MP, perhaps it is that I don't play much that I just don't get the hand-wringing and machinations about the 'deadnesss' or 'non-deadness of things ... can you find decent play? Then you have a 'live' game, if not, it is dead to you.

As for new games ... has Far Cry killed JA? No. Thief 3? No. DX:IW? No. Doom 3 will have the MP value of Painkiller. But HL2 ... well, the expectations run so high that I am hard pressed to see how it can succeed ... if there aren't 60,000 people on it, they'll say it is dead ...

Oh well, have fun fighting ... :rolleyes:

Mike

I think that unnamed and Ami are right.

Mostly I agree with unnamed - we can't simply be driven by sheer numbers - more servers and more players doesn't really matter to me. What there should be is a list of known 'good' servers so that good players can play there. Maybe there already is one, I don't know.

Basically, I don't need thousands of servers brimming with players to enjoy the game. All I need is one server, with maybe 4-10 players, on either FFA, TFFA, or CTF (maybe even Seige!) to play.

Originally posted by txa1265

Why? Because the SP experience is - IMO - better than *any* other FPS put out last year. Yes - better than Halo, than Call of Duty, than Tron 2.0, etc.

Mike

So you think a crappy story with hardly any new player models and a bland story line is better than Halo and Call of Duty?

I mean, have you even played any of these games? It does not seem like it at all.

Originally posted by txa1265

I consider the SP experience better than any except for KotOR.

The nice thing about the SP game is that it is never "dead" as long as you still enjoy it. :)

Originally posted by Pal™

with hardly any new player models

But some of use don't require new player models for the game to be fun. ;)

So you think a crappy story with hardly any new player models and a bland story line is better than Halo and Call of Duty?

I mean, have you even played any of these games? It does not seem like it at all.

Yes, I have. I was in no rush, so I played them late last year and early this year.

CoD == MoH++, *NO* story (OK, WWII, but that is a scenario, not a story), some excellent sections but mainly on-rails linear, with just updated graphics. Don't get me wrong, it is an excellent game for what it is ... but don't pretend there is a story or development.

Halo was a two year old game when it hit PC, and it showed. Good game. But it seemed old compared with Tron and Elite Force 2. I was in agreement wiGameSpy's 'top 25 overrated' on this one.

Jedi Academy was not perfect. I think that the story was pretty decent, but they could handled some of the RPG-lite elements better. It was more of a 'side-quel' - not a sequel, not an expansion, but rather a new game based on the same technology.

I mean, look at the story from a different angle: The evil lord had been vanquished, but the Hero had spared the apprentice. Yet the apprentice, seeking dark power and vengeance, had discovered an ancient artifact, rumored to have been created by the Dark Overlord humself. The artifact allows the apprentice to draw dark powers to it, and to use it to empower and enslave minions to do her evil bidding. The old Hero has taken a new apprentice of his own, one with much promise, whose desitny lies upon the same road, but in direct conflict with, the dark apprentice.

Sounds like a good RPG to me ;)

Mike

Originally posted by Prime

But some of use don't require new player models for the game to be fun. ;)

But when you buy a sequel you kinda expect new characters and exiting new graphics but JA failed to deliver any of that. Heck that didn't even check the multi player sounds so half of the characters say "Take that".

But when you buy a sequel you kinda expect

But that's the thing isn't it ...

A true sequel, more than 3 years later, Elite Force 2 had significant graphical improvements over Elite Force 1 based on the same engine ...

A true sequel, about 3 years later, NOLF2 had significant graphical improvements over NOLF1 based on the same engine ...

I call Jedi Academy a 'side-quel'. It was ~1.5 years later, was not a true sequel, nor an expansion pack. It *DID* have graphical improvements as well as achitectural improvements to the engine, in line with the time elapsed and the age of the engine (i.e. JKII already took advantage of a large Q3 engine knowledge base from games like EF).

Mike

with hardly any new player models

Ummm...

New Models

Jaden (HMale, HFemale, Rodian, Twi`lek, Zabrak, and Kel Dor)

Howler

RocketTrooper

Boba Fett

Rancor

Mutant Rancor

Sand creature.. thing...

Jet Pack Trooper

New Tavion

Alora

Alora 2

Rosh

Cultists

Cultist Commandos

Kothos (those dudes with Rosh in Vjun)

Jawas

Tusken Raiders

Noghri

Wampa

ragnos

Rax (the fat guy who caught Jaden)

SnowTroopers

Human Mercenaries

Assasin Droids

Saber Droids

Chewbacca

Hazard Troopers

Sabotuer

X-wing GLM

Tie-Fighter GLM

Tie-Bomber GLM

Shuttle GLM

Swoop GLM

Wedge

Total: 39 (Probably missed a few...)

Not to mention tons of new MD3 models.

And the new skins werent too bad either. I mean, look at Lannik Racto, they used the Jedi model, but his body looks really different (same face....) but still.

Old Models

Kyle

Luke

Jedi (reskinned a lot)

ATST

Jedi Trainer

Bartender

Stormtrooper

Imperials

Stormtrooper Commander

Imperial Workers

Interrigation Droids

Sentry Droids

Sentry Turrets

Training Droids (little balls)

Cant think of anymore...

Total: 14

Hope I didnt miscount somewhere... *shrugs*

Sadly they used the Jedi model over and over to make new skins. :-/

What a good game needs is realism. for instance, take JO patch 1.3, compare patch 1.3 to 1.4

we had lots of complaints about 1.4, thats because they patched too many things, namely the backslash whilst spinning. people prefered the 1.3 but a good thing was you could go back to 1.3 if you installed 1.4 (patch commander) thus you could fit into a realistic star wars fantasy environment or go to 1.4 where you behave etc.. lol

personaly, when i get the chance im buying JO again and will stick with patch 1.3 | damn shops dont got JO grrrr, only JA.

i have JA and i think it is a dieing community, i saw few servers when it came out, possibly because of bug, but since 1.0.1.0 i saw more, lots more servers but then this past 3 month, the server amounts has decreased by half. im only getting 1,500 servers give or take in all seeing eye, that included pinged out servers.

sounds like a lot but its not compared to what i used to see 3 months ago.

Originally posted by richard10101

i have JA and i think it is a dieing community, i saw few servers when it came out, possibly because of bug, but since 1.0.1.0 i saw more, lots more servers but then this past 3 month, the server amounts has decreased by half. im only getting 1,500 servers give or take in all seeing eye, that included pinged out servers.

If you are getting 1500 servers in the All Seeing Eye, it's because it is showing you saved information from servers that are long dead and gone.

Go to Tools->Options->Misc, and check the box that says "don't save server info", refresh the list, and you'll see the current number of servers (464). Shows you how much it has dropped though.

Originally posted by Master William

You know, to be honest, my in-game JA browser displays more servers than All Seeing Eye. All Seeing Eye always says 'filtered out by modifiers', or something similar to that.

I discovered new MBII servers with the in game browser...

That's because you checked one or more boxes in the Modifiers section above Favorites (ping, country, mods, password, etc.). Uncheck all those boxes and you will see more servers than the ingame browser.

I'm beginning to agree with Amidala here (gee, imagine that!). If anything in JA is dying, it's the pure FFA community, not the game itself.

People who wish to continue playing as the developers intended are moving to other game modes, ones that are less conducive to the roleplayer lite/honor n00b/whiner people.

Kurgan NOOOO!!!!!!1

DONT GIVE UP HOPE, THAT LEADS TO THE HONOR SIDE! :(

It might pick up. Im completly convinced that the server bug in the beginning stopped the community from having at least double this size right now.

Kinda sucks, I was checking out some honor site once, and read the rules, it said something like this:

You can have FFA only if everyone on the server wants it. If not, even if its only one person, you cant FFA. You must respect the wishes of that one person.

My question: What about the 1 person who wants to FFA, why not respect his/her wishes?

I wish you could at least compromise with the honor guys. One time I was on a server, not laming sort of thinking about laming, although I knew I would get banned/kicked... something. I mentioned about how laming was funner than this kind of 'play' and said maybe we should try it out. They got mad and kicked me :-/ It was like the 'dark side' they would never turn to it, or at least try it out (not saying the dark side is good... lol)

If you are getting 1500 servers in the All Seeing Eye, it's because it is showing you saved information from servers that are long dead and gone.

Oh, thats what it was :-) heh, oh well, I uninstalled ASE a while back. I was wondering why a lot of dead servers were still on the list. Although sometimes the in game browser found servers not on ASE, and the same way around, ASE found servers not on the in game browser list.

Originally posted by Kurgan

If anything in JA is dying, it's the pure FFA community...

*Bones passes his medical tricorder over the charred, dismembered corpse, and looks up*

"He's dead, Jim"

You have Siege, I have CTF. I just started a new server to beta test xmod 2.7 beta: Chop Shop INCREASED GUN DAMAGE CTF. It will be open to the public tomorrow, but if you can't wait to try out the enhanced weapons, search the CTF servers by name. The password is "ctfpug". If you decide to go, download the xmod 2.0 client first

http://xmod2.cat5camp.com/downloads/xmod2-client-2.0.zip

and you will see a cool new scoreboard. xmod 2.7 has an internal SQL database that gives real-time stats for flag captures, returns, kills, deaths, etc.

Archived