Home

the future of jedi [knight] series ...

darthzick

this is merely an idea and i'm posting to see what others think about it ... so feel free to post comments / questions / flames / etc. ...

can jedi knight and the adventures of kyle katarn go any further? i'm not the one to answer that, but with episode 3 wrapping up soon, and no plans for a final trilogy (ep. 7-9) (yet!?), i'd like to see lucasarts, and possibly lucas, invest some time/money into the star wars gaming universe.

so many games run off of the doom and quake engines, and i must admit it's getting abit old. well, at least for the jk series. those engines serve well for some games, but it doesn't capture the essence of, or give justice to, the power of the jedi.

ever since i was a child (and many of you may agree with me on this), and i saw star wars for the first time, i wanted to be a jedi. when i was young, i'd run around the house in a bathrobe with a wrapping paper tube pretending i was one. now i live vicariously through the games (that as i mentioned don't really capture the glory).

so i'm going to list some ideas, that i wish would be looked into. a new engine would be nice ... but may not be feasable (or worth the investment if say nobody buys games that run on it). but i think once read, my ideas point toward a new engine.

1) realistic sabring: sabres that can penetrate walls and blast doors, not to mention the arms (or legs) of your fellow combatants. if an "arena" wraps around and there's merely a wall that seperates two portions of a map, that wall should be able to be torn into by sabres (as opposed to being lightly scarred like in the current games) providing new paths.

2) along the same lines as the previous, an arena should be able to be altered by the fighting within. support pillars should be able to be cut and force pushed onto opponents (not to mention knocking down the things that are supported, like catwalks above).

3) arenas should have private melee rooms seperated from the rest of the map by blast doors. you can "trap" your opponents in the rooms for private duels by "breaking" the control panel next to the door (wether by sabre or hurled object). that door can be cut into by others who want access to the room for whatever reason. once a door is broken, it's broken.

4) sabre fighting should be more along the lines of a fighting game, well sort of. there should be specific moves (possibly based on the mysterious "forms" of sabre combat that are eluded to in books and comics though never fully explained), each that can be parried by other moves, or blocked, or even countered. the winner of a fight shouldn't just be whoever can hit buttons fast enough, but who can go the longest without letting down his gaurd or making a mistake.

5) more rpg-ish ... the character that you play as in the single player game, is the one that you bring into the online (or lan) arena. so if you don't play the "real" game, you won't last a second in the arena. this leads to more playability, if you want to make a new character you gotta start from scratch. it should also be rpg-ish in the way that kotor was. choices that you make lead to different missions, you might start a jedi, but end up a sith.

6) more customization of characters (maybe even through expansion packs). so if you really want to be wiphid with grey locks or wookie who shaved his head you can be. i know that's going to extremes, but you get the idea.

7) with all that's going on in the multiplayer worlds, you'll probably have to run a dedicated server to keep all this info, and propogate it to the players. so maybe a server software package should be an optional buy (a cheap buy) that makes setting this up a breeze.

8) i'm not saying "no-mods" ... but i would like to see a more high caliber class of mods, maybe released by lucas when they've been thouroughly tested. i don't want to see indiana jones with a light sabre in my lan party, if you catch my drift.

9) it be nice for a fresh story, something untouched, possibly something around the time of the great sith wars, like before the battle of ruusan ... along the times of darth bane and lord hoth. maybe they can even be unlockable characters in the single player game that translate over to the online world. how cool would it be to actually play as bane. maybe even a fan submitted story contest would be cool.

i think that's it for now ... i'd like to hear what others think.

-darthzick :jawa

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's 3.30am in my part of the world right now, you dont expect me to read all that do you..... :p

the future of JK is very tenuous. It'll really need to step up a number of notches, and ditch the quake engine as a result. Therefore, new engine = heaps of time.....release date = god knows when if ever....

you shouldve started this thread in the JO/JA forum, its a good way to start a fight there :D

mtfwbya

Still it is a good thread for off-topic as well seeing as it doesn't deal directly with any current game.

I've been thinking lots of the same. I really want to have dynamic saber damage. However, the character customization part would be the hardest to pull off.

I think they could get an engine to track saber damage & cut into surfaces properly, but to be truely effective you would have to have player control of the saber.

One way they could kinda do this is make it so if you approach a locked door, instead of finding a way around or searching for a key, have a scripted event to cut the door open. That would be the first step. It would require lots of new code and I'm not sure LucasArts has the capability to create an entire new engine, they would have to partner with another co. (Raven?) to really do it well.

The rpg elements would be cool, but I do think that there should be a seperate multiplayer for those who do just want to jump straight to MP. Otherwise they will risk pissing off a bunch of potential buyers. Just will have to separate regular mp & rpg mp. That shouldn't be too hard to do.

Great ideas! :D

My two cents: It would be cool to have some jedi robes to show off, and to have force throw, like you can use pieces of pipe from the walls or crates lying around to swing at your opponents with the force. Also a more sneaky gameplay wouldn't hurt. In DF and JK you really had the feeling you were infiltrating a gigantic base, but in JO and JA it seemed more like you were just going trough the base to make sure noone survived. (At least that what i did.) And the player became to powerful, wich forced them to make the other lightsaber using enemy's supernaturally strong. More adventure and a little less action would also be cool, and even more vehicles to drive. (space combat?) Then mix in the things you guys mentioned and the stuff htat made JA such a fun game, (to me at least) and it would be almost perfect.

Alright, that turned out to be more than i originally planned to say.

Any LucasArts SW game has quite a bit to live up to after KotR stepped up to the plate and took up the level quite a bit. I know it wasn't the old style Jedi game, but I don't think there are too many out there that think it is a bad SW game.

Perhaps it is time, like with KotR, to explore than huge expanse in time BEFORE all of the movies, they have a 20,000 or more year history to play with, why not use it...

Personally, more of a stealth "Bounty Hunter" game would be great, but it only hit one platform....

Personnally, i'd like if we'd go back to the 'Jedi knight' era, with a similar storyline. A rebel merc, infiltrating imperial bases, finds a lightsaber and discovers he's got force potential. There's no jedi academy yet, so it's up to him to train a bit. On the way he also discovers an enormous plot, that would make the empire stronger than ever...

Just like the original JK. Of course we'd need a different story, but these are some good points the story had. It was at least better than JO and JA... And the levels looked better, too. Climbing huge canyons, standing on top of an imperial tower, being bombed by TIE's, infiltrating a gigantic base, there were just so many troopers, you couldn't possibly beat them all and survive... That's the way it should be.

Personally i think kyle has spent too much time on our gaming screens... i think its the end of his gaming career

although, i would like lucas to invest money and thought into a SW tv show. There's been strong rumours of such, especially over at tfn.

a SW show involving kyle would be something i would definetely watch :)

they could get the actor from the df2 video sequences.... and they could get hammil. he's not doing much nowadays :p im sure he'd love some money/ attention/ credibility :D

Tat's actually a pretty good idea, but we're shifting off topic.

Roxstar was right about that, but also not. In the movies, lightsabers being able to penetrate walls didn't make it easier for Qui-gon and Obi-wan, for example. The walls are very thivck and the lightsaber make's only very thin cuts...

I expect the next installment of the JK series to be really good. It will definitely be done for a nextgen engine, which will help immensely. I'm a little leary of it having all sorts of RPG elements. The series is a FPS/TPS first and formost, and I would hate to have that sacrificed for RPG stuff. MP is important of course, but the SP story is what makes the game so good IMO. But as along as the game takes advantage of new technology and is designed well, I can't see it being anything but a success.

I think that a new game is inevitable at some stage. The series is just too successful to pass up. And I hope Kyle makes a triumphant return :)

Alright, you need to be able to make a choice between light or dark side again, but NOT with only one action, but from how you pick your powers and how you handle situations. And like in JK, when the choice is made you become 'True to the light side' or 'true to the dark side' Meaning all forcepoints on the opposite side will be removed and added to your side of choice. Further more, i agree with the 'not too much RPG stuff', but just a little, like in between levels, that you can enhance your strenghth a bit, or something.

And in-between levels would also be fun. Like, when there's nothing to do, you wander around the academy and you can explore the building a bit, and then you get your next mission around there somewhere. It adds to the realism. Believe me, i just finished a game wich had that, and that was pretty cool. (I shall not name the game for you may mistake me for a trekkie while i am not.)

Originally posted by Doomgiver

Believe me, i just finished a game wich had that, and that was pretty cool. (I shall not name the game for you may mistake me for a trekkie while i am not.)

Hmmm...I wonder if you're talking about...Nah, nevermind. I was going to say...no, no, no. Well, then again...could it be you're talking about a Star Tre...no, that's rediculous.

Sabre's version of da next JK game: (yeah, like GL is gonna do something his fans tell him...)

Great physics

Eg, if you sabre a block of ice, it breaks away, and you can push them to cut your opponents.

Detailed and Branching Storyline

Everything depends on what you do and where you go. You might get extra missions, you might get less missions...

Intelligent AI

Stormtroopers can call for back-up, run away if party is dead, fire "smarter", conceal etc.

Unreal Warfare Engine

Yeah, baby!

More choices in personalisation.

More anakin-style ponytails:D

Some sub-games

Eg. Bonk GL on the skull and win a rocket launcher! :D :D

Originally posted by sabretooth

Great physics

Eg, if you sabre a block of ice, it breaks away, and you can push them to cut your opponents.

I'd definitely like to have more interaction with the environment, especially using Force powers.

Intelligent AI

Stormtroopers can call for back-up, run away if party is dead, fire "smarter", conceal etc.

Intelligent AI and Stormtroopers?

That does not compute. :)

More choices in personalisation.

More anakin-style ponytails:D

The less Anakin reminders the better, IMO :D

Let's face it: We don't have the technology to create the starwars game we always wanted. Wouldn't it be cool if we could cut off a stormtrooper's head and force-throw it at the others.

And that they would fall to the ground in pain if ya aimed for the groin! :D

More kinds of mission objectives would also be cool. I.E. Defend base, support army, covert ops, that kinda stuff.

And the feeling that you really are in a larger war. Like, that you fight large-scale wars with other guys, command a squad, you're being bombed by TIE's, you run for the trenches. The enemy AT-AT walkers are closing in, you have to escape. You cut down some aproaching stormtroopers. People die around you, fight around you, go to the base. The AT-AT almost squashes you, but you manage to jump away in time, then one of the friendly fighters blows it up in time and you continue to the objective...

God that would be awsome.... Let's put the 'war' back in 'starwars.'... Just imagine... *Drools*

Originally posted by Doomgiver

Let's face it: We don't have the technology to create the starwars game we always wanted. Wouldn't it be cool if we could cut off a stormtrooper's head and force-throw it at the others.

And that they would fall to the ground in pain if ya aimed for the groin! :D

More kinds of mission objectives would also be cool. I.E. Defend base, support army, covert ops, that kinda stuff.

And the feeling that you really are in a larger war. Like, that you fight large-scale wars with other guys, command a squad, you're being bombed by TIE's, you run for the trenches. The enemy AT-AT walkers are closing in, you have to escape. You cut down some aproaching stormtroopers. People die around you, fight around you, go to the base. The AT-AT almost squashes you, but you manage to jump away in time, then one of the friendly fighters blows it up in time and you continue to the objective...

God that would be awsome.... Let's put the 'war' back in 'starwars.'... Just imagine... *Drools*

We have all the technology necesarry. We even have more. Look at the latest games releasin'. Their graphics are top-notch, AI is mind-bending and gameplay is like, ground-breaking. LA is lazy. LA doesn't want to make new games. They want to get off with Episode III.

You're commentary on war is exactly what SW: BF is gonna be. But Jedi Knight is an entirely diffrent thing...

Pssst...

Star Wars: Jedi Knight: something something should have the Unreal engine and the game will rock!

Archived