Home

Bastila Shan-WIP

darthviper107

Originally posted by darthviper107

...Now I'm just waiting for permission from either Lucasarts or Bioware(I emailed both).

*sigh* don't hold your breath....

From the KOTOR EULA.txt

The computer software, artwork, music, and other components included in this product, as such may be updated (collectively referred to as the "Software"), are the copyrighted property of LucasArts, a division of Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd., and/or its affiliated entities or divisions, and its licensors (collectively referred to as "LucasArts"). The Software is licensed (not sold) to you, and LucasArts owns and/or controls all copyright, trade secret, patent and other proprietary rights in the Software. You may use the Software on a single computer. You may not: (1) copy (other than once for back-up purposes), distribute, rent, lease or sublicense all or any portion of the Software; (2) modify or prepare derivative works of the Software;....

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why they wouldn't allow you to do it, because its for a game under the same license.

I think the only times you would have trouble is if you were ripping a model from a Capcom or a EA Games game or something of the sort.

Anyway, I was wondering if you are given permission to release this, are you planning on taking any other KotOR models and putting them into JKA? I think it would be pretty cool to have the Jedi clothes as a model in JKA.:)

Originally posted by Miko Reglia

Anyway, I was wondering if you are given permission to release this, are you planning on taking any other KotOR models and putting them into JKA? I think it would be pretty cool to have the Jedi clothes as a model in JKA.:)

It would greatly increase the amount of actually good player models - which would be a very good thing. Besides, playing anyone from KotOR is bound to be fun. :p

Originally posted by Miko Reglia

I don't know why they wouldn't allow you to do it, because its for a game under the same license.

If you read the EULAs for Jedi Academy and KOTOR you will see that LucasArts allows putting things into Jedi Academy, but they don't allow taking things out of KOTOR, even if you are putting those things into another LucasArts product.

LucasArts would be smart to allow intra-LucasArts product transfers, because it provides cross-promotion (advertising) of their other products. But no one ever accused them of being smart.

I think if one made a model and textures of KOTOR characters from scratch to put into JA, or imported models from another game with a less restrictive license, there would be no problem.

Originally posted by tFighterPilot

Alas, not a very funny one

Meh, I'm not payed to be funny:p

As for the model, I wouldn't really worry about any legal implecations. Your not

A)Claiming to have made it

B)Profiting from it

C)Stealing any buisness.

Since Bioware left it in lucasarts hands, I think you got a green light since their on good terms with the modding community.

Porting models from other games into other games is illegal. it doesnt matter if you're making a profit from it or not, it means that a person can download a model from a game they havent bought. same goes with textures (unless the company specifically says it is okay for public use, like max payne 1 textures)

sorry, but it's not legal.

Originally posted by Autobot Traitor

Meh, I'm not payed to be funny:p

As for the model, I wouldn't really worry about any legal implecations. Your not

A)Claiming to have made it

B)Profiting from it

C)Stealing any buisness.

Since Bioware left it in lucasarts hands, I think you got a green light since their on good terms with the modding community.

Wishful thinking. It's easy to say "don't worry about the legal implications" when you're not the one who will get in trouble.

From the KOTOR EULA.txt

The computer software, artwork, music, and other components included in this product, as such may be updated (collectively referred to as the "Software"), are the copyrighted property of LucasArts, a division of Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd., and/or its affiliated entities or divisions, and its licensors (collectively referred to as "LucasArts"). The Software is licensed (not sold) to you, and LucasArts owns and/or controls all copyright, trade secret, patent and other proprietary rights in the Software. You may use the Software on a single computer. You may not: (1) copy (other than once for back-up purposes), distribute, rent, lease or sublicense all or any portion of the Software; (2) modify or prepare derivative works of the Software;....

I'm not a lawyer but even I understand what that says.

I hope they respond with a yes. They have to know this is in the spirit of supporting their games. I will take a good guess that all of us here have bought more than one of their releases over the years. Personally, I own 34 different LucasArts titles.

Originally posted by ronbrothers

I hope they respond with a yes. They have to know this is in the spirit of supporting their games. I will take a good guess that all of us here have bought more than one of their releases over the years. Personally, I own 34 different LucasArts titles.

You should know that own and bought is not the same thing...

Did you know that the lady who did the voice of Bastilla in KOTOR also did the voice of female Jaden in JA? Pointless bit of trivia there...

I'm glad you're trying to solve this complex legal stuff here, before you release it, as opposed to putting it on PCGM and leaving us with some massive argument to deal with!

I hope you get a positive response from them (it would be good for LEC) but I must admit, I don't hold out much hope myself. I hope to be proved wrong, it certainly won't be the first time!

The file size is 5 MB, but that's because of the sounds, half are compressed and half aren't because my program screwed up. Ahh, I have to reinstall everything to my computer, so now I have to wait for 30 minutes to copy all my files back. But Hey!, School's out so that's OK. I might also, (if LA allows this model) do the Ebon Hawk as a vehicle, I have the model extracted already and it looks awsome, and only 4k polys. Well, if Lucasarts tells me to contact Bioware about it, I'll just put it up, because it will have been their own fault :D

Archived