Home

Achilles' Lightsaber walkthrough

Achilles

hmm I think I will leave this stuff to those of you who do it so well I read this and felt like I was back in HS algebra(I am horrible at math though I try not to be). I am great with hardware but software is something I never could get right. if there was a step by step tutorial program out there i could probably learn it well enough to mod different color crystals to do something other than color the blade. I was gonna make red more damaging than others but as a result make you also more vulnerable to ranged attack and things like that.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmm I think I will leave this stuff to those of you who do it so well I read this and felt like I was back in HS algebra(I am horrible at math though I try not to be).

It may read like that, I thought the same thing when I first start but it is very very easy I assure you. Achilles did a good job putting this tut together, just test a little bit it gets easier and easier each time you do it.

Ok, I downloaded everything, so I have Hex Editor and a GFF and KT and all that. Then, I find what I wanted in KT, extracted them somewhere, then I open the GFF thing. It doesn't look like it is supposed to, it won't let me put in numbers, there isn't anything there that looks like what you describe. What is wrong?

Which gff editor are you using? As I'm fully noob, I personally found kgff to be confusing. Right now I use the gff editor from Bioware. To my recollection you need to open the GFF editor then file>open the .uti you need to edit. Once its open you should see multiple numbered structs, and at this point you should be able to continue with Achilles's <???>tut. It seems frustrating, but read the tut over a few times and it will start to make sence. At least it did for me.

Oh and BTW thanks Achilles!

Fuu

You're welcome.

Although I'm glad to see that this old thing still gets used, I have to point out that if you're just going for straight item editing, all you really need is this tutorial. This lightsaber walkthough was written when you couldn't edit items using KT. Once Fred updated the tool, basic item modification via GFF Editor became obsolete (although it is still necessary for some stuff). I hope that helps.

No, you just have to change the model var to reference the blue lightsaber. Remember that the blade color is directly tied to the model. w_lghtsbr01 is blue while w_lghtsbr07 is orange. If you don't make the correction in the .uti file, the game will get confused (and might even crash).

What you do is extract the actual lightsaber blade texture and your gonna be renaming it to say for example w_lsabregren01.tga to w_lsabregren02.tga then later you will be using the hex editor to edit your mdl file to reflect these changes. You want to do this when its in your save folder or whatever folder your using to do your saber in.

These are found in ERFs>TexturePacks>swpc_tex_tpa.erf>W

If you want the gren part to say something different you must use the same number of characters for example. w_lsabregren01.tga to w_lsabrejedi02.tga same number of letters :) Hope this helps

Achilles I have a question, you put required next to it why is it required why couldn't you just use the default slots?
For the txi file? There is no default txi file to extract, so you have to make one. Thanks to modern technology you can get around this by using the game's default tga file.

Ok I extracted everyithing I think I need, so when I opened the GFF editor and the sabercrystal file, there wasn't anything I could do. All there was was a drop down thing called "type."

For the TXI, Achilles said there is no way to export the default but its not necessarily true when you export your lsabre<color>01.tga theres a check box thats says export TXI, you can hit that and it should export the TXI for you all you would have to do is rename that and you'd be good to go. The GFF editor is for UTI files, which basically gives the parameters for the crystal/saber your using like the model variation #, name in game, etc.

The TXI is in essence a txt file with a different extension, it tells the game what to do with the texture.

Ok I bet I don't have everything I need extracted. Let me list the files I extrcted so far, so someone can help me with this.

g1_w_lghtsbr01 (I want my saber to be orange so all this stuff is probably orange BTW)

g1_w_sbrcrstl20

iw_lghtsbr_007

iw_sbrcrstl_020

w_lghtsbr_007.mdl

w_lghtsbr_007.mdx

w_lsabregold02 (renamed it from 01 like you said YAY I understood that)

upcrystals.2da

Would that be everything I need?

Ok I bet I don't have everything I need extracted. Let me list the files I extrcted so far, so someone can help me with this.

g1_w_lghtsbr01 (I want my saber to be orange so all this stuff is probably orange BTW)

g1_w_sbrcrstl20

iw_lghtsbr_007

iw_sbrcrstl_020

w_lghtsbr_007.mdl

w_lghtsbr_007.mdx

w_lsabregold02 (renamed it from 01 like you said YAY I understood that)

upcrystals.2da

Would that be everything I need?

For Example:

g_w_lghtsbr99.uti <---the info on your saber

g_w_sbrcrstl99.uti <---the info on your crystal (u_l_colo_07.uti when you extract it)

w_lghtsbr_099.mdl <---model file #1

w_lghtsbr_099.mdx <---model file #2

iw_sbrcrstl_099.tga <---crystal icon

iw_lghtsbr_099.tga <---saber icon

w_lghtsbr_099.tga <--saber model texture

These are pretty much the files you need, I used 99 as an example since that was the example used in Achilles tut.

Make sure you have the uti files for said saber and crystal, it looks like you have everything but you didn't include extensions which is kinda important.

I'd worry about the upcrystals.2da after you get it in game, and know everything is working right :)

So I need to change all the numbers to 99 or something higher than 20 right? And extensions? Huh? Modding for the first time is so confusing....

.uti, .tga, .txt, .txi are examples of extensions you didn't inlcude them in the files you extracted up there so I couldn't tell if you had the right stuff or not.

You can use any # over 10 I believe, but to be safe use something maybe in the 30's or 40's to keep it compatible with other sabers mods.

Archived