Home

What games are we going to this fall?

FroZticles

What game you picking up this fall?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What game you picking up this fall?

• SWG-expansion
    • World of Warcraft
    • Battle for Middle-Earth
    • Battlefront
    • other (explain)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks awesome but will not be. For a brief period I was on the staff, but I quit because my efforts to set things right came too late in the process. The balance is non-existent in this game, the guys who designed it don't know the first thing about game design. It's overly complicated, with too many units and a few uber unbalanced units that everyone will use while the majority sit idle. They've just tried to include every single unit from EU, which is rediculous, and what's more they haven't thought about what specific role each unit will fill - most of them have about three different types of weapons. It's such a shame too, such talented artists and programmers led to create a bad game.

Back on topic, I mentioned above I'm looking forward to Warhammer: 40,000 - Dawn of War. I just downloaded a video from E3 where the guys making it demonstrate all the different gameplay elements. It looks absolutely awesome. The level of interaction between units and with the battlefield itself is spectacular. Now I'm pretty much looking forward to this game just as much as Battle for Middle Earth. Check it out if you haven't already done so:

http://www.dawnofwargame.com/

The Sims 2 people!!!

Hum... well yeah I'm gonna buy Sims 2 for sure.

BfME looks great also, but I'm worried about the multiplayer aspect. I mean, General's MP was kind of crappy, and I think they don't give us enough info on how it's going to be.

For once, I agree with DMUK... that Mark Skaggs guy is only talking about unit emotions, and "wow it's the army of the dead! wow, they've whiped out all of our troops!". I mean, come on we want to see some real stuff. Also, the little base camp we saw is kind of crappy....

Battlefront looks great. I'm not very fond of shooters, but since it's SW, I'll give it a try (and why can't we PC users have the demo on the OT DVDs as well??).

Other than that, it's gonna be Sith Lords when it's out and Dragon Age in a couple of years...

Yeah, I'm also a bit wary of how BfME Multiplayer will pan out. Stuff in that demo video like the Army of the Dead and the Balrog are cool and all, but it will be strange in multiplayer.

I'm starting to get more excited about Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War than Battle for Middle Earth now. The multiplayer gameplay should be a lot more exciting anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest DarthMaulUK

I was looking closely at Battle for Middle Earth. But three things worry me

1) Its an EA game and their stuff sucks

2) Its based on the Generals engine which really isnt that flexible

3) Real in game screens are few and far between

So this could end up being yet another big licenced turkey. Only time will tell but im going to give it a miss because ROME:Total War is coming and that is REAL strategy wargaming.

http://www.totalwar.com

DMUK

1) Its an EA game and their stuff sucks
No it doesn't :D
2) Its based on the Generals engine which really isnt that flexible
Well they've taken the Generals Engine and changed it quite a lot. As for it not being flexible in the first place, I don't know where you got that since it's one of the most moddable and flexible engines I've ever seen.
3) Real in game screens are few and far between
Actually you're wrong there too. You're assuming all the screens you're seeing are from cinematics, when in fact just about every screen I've seen are from in the game. You just don't recognise it because they've done away with the dated control panel along the bottom of the screen, so playing in the game actually looks like cinematics.

The big problem about BfME is that we don't have enough "official" info. We get a couple of screens and an occasional new unit emotions video.

They don't even show what are the races on their website (even though it's pretty obvious by now), they don't show any units or buildings either. Usually, you should be able to see what's going to be in a game... Maxis (even though it's part of EA) shows us some stuff about TS2, Blizzard has info on races and classes of WoW and BioWare's employees are posting often in the boards to answer questions. Even LA gives more info on their games.

EA is the kind of company who makes as many games as possible (and as fast as possible), and they don't really care about how good the game is after it's released (there are exceptions, but it's true most of the time).

To comment on DMUK's post :

1. Most of their stuff sucks. Not all, but most.

2. I hated the Generals engine. Like Vostok said, it's supposed to be changed a lot, but I'm especially worried about the base building part and the multiplayer aspect.

3. What I hate about their video and screens is that they are almost all about Minas Tirith. Like I said earlier, they don't show us enough stuff. We know that MT is in, and that it looks great. Show us Idengard now.

Originally posted by FroZticles

EA does not have the best RTS history, generals multiplayer was unbalanced and continues to be with there failed unique sides.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. BfME will only be a single player game. The MP aspect will be horrible.

Gonna have to wait for SC2 to get a decent MP RTS....

Well I won't deny that Generals multiplayer isn't great, I just hope they realise how important multiplayer is to the life of a game and put some effort into improving it.

I can't for the life of me figure out why both Blizzard and EA continue to have only their set number of boring maps for multiplayer as opposed to Ensemble and others who have a random map generator. WH40K: Dawn of War also has set maps instead of random maps, which disappointed me greatly. More than likely BfME will not have a random map generator either... why would it when Middle Earth is pre-defined?

I agree with DMUK that it's BfME is gonna be rubbish they have kinda kyboshed the C&C series

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND

thinks generals is unbalanced it's all about strategy i'm assuming people are reffering to General Ta Hun Kwai attacking Prince Kassad with Emporer Overlord Tanks, or Perhaps General Alexander Attacking Anything with Aurora Alpha Bombers. It's easy to defeat the strongest units you just need to know their strengths and weaknessess. This is where infinite money maps come in handy you can explore weaknesses and strengths without worrying about econ. The same also applies to GB with the venerable Frontline Was maps And gone awry City Build Maps. {yes City Build is the series of maps I came up with the idea for and created the first few I admit guilt to that }

The Answer to The Emporer Tanks V Prince Kassad is easy Fully Upgradded Angry Mobs Cheaper and they rip the hell out of anything on the ground if supported With Rocket Buggies And Quad Cannons.

I May hate what EA has done to Command and Conquer But they've created an all right game to add To an Excellent Series. That's why the game i'm looking forward to is Command and Conquer Tiberian Twilight Or Command And Conquer Red Alert 3. I know both are in the works because if you dig up the site of one of the generals concept blokes and look under generals you'll see sketch's of CABAL troopers and some CABAL units. You'll also see the dropped Chrono Prison which for some strange reason is on the back of my edition of yuri's revenge as well as the siesmic tank for the soviets with many many other things.

• 2 weeks later...

For those like DMUK who are suspicious of BfME because of a supposed "real in-game screens" I advise you to check out Inside the Battle Vol 4, the latest of EA's designer videos. It's got info about base building and resource gathering. There are some things I'm a little wary of, but when it comes down to it a game that looks that cool has just got to be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I plan on buying Star Wars Battlefront, Mercenaries, Star Wars Lego based game, and Star Wars Episode III video game all on PS2. I still have plans to get me a copy of RTX Red Rock, Gladius, Secret Weapons Over Normandy, Wrath Unleashed, 007 Nightfire, 007 Agents Under Fire, The Simpsons Hit and Run, The Simpsons Road Rage, The Two Towers, The Fellowship of the Ring, Return of the King, The Hobbit all on PS2 also. I might get 007 Everything or Nothing, Spiderman 2, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban, Spiderman, Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone, and Harry Potter and the chamber of Secrets. I lost my chance to get a copy of Escape From Monkey Island and Star Wars Super Bombard Racing for PS2 because I can't find a new copy anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: for those people confused as to what the Battle For Middle Earth's context-sensitive interface is, check out the latest designer diary (#5 I think). It discusses the new interface and how it differs from the old one.

I'd also like to state that now the game I'm most looking forward to is Star Wars Battlefront. While I am certainly an RTS player at heart, this game will just be way too cool and I believe I will get horribly addicted.

I just found at a NEW CnC game is in the works it could be RA3 or Tib Twilight someone saw pictures of them on a monitor at EA and posted them on a site and everybody got really excited and EA asked for the pictures to be taken down because of hidden reasons.

Battlefront what's that for again?

Either RA3 or Tiberian Twilight, My money's on Tiberian Twilight since RA2 was released after Tiberian Sun so they'd try to keep both alive and release twilight first then RA3. Plus if you find some of the Concept Artists for CnC games one of them has a few images for Cabal under their generals Section like a Cabal Trooper and Cabal Power plant their's quite a few spread over random sections as well as the lost Soviet Seimech Tank and the Allied Chrono Prison as well as some sort of demented laser on a stick for yuri

Archived