Home

OMG that's the map editor from Battlezone 2!

tFighterPilot

It's from 1999 but still working!

http://media.pc.gamespy.com/media/617/617664/img_2161924.html

Few to none of you have played Battlezone 2, and most probably none of you have ever found out its map editor, which is hidden as a cheat code. It's a great map editor for terrain, yet not nearly as good as Radiant for other stuff, that's why everything but the terrain is done in 3D Studio Max. My guess that the entire Kamino and Bespin levels were done in 3D Studio Max, as the map editor it self won't do.

Anyway, that means that mapping for this game will be very easy, as easy as making a map for a strategy game.

Originally posted by tFighterPilot

It's the exact same editor, I know everything about it, and it's not much.

O, they are gonna use that editor of yours also for battefront? And it's simple to use? Maybe I'll try to design a map of my own, never did it before.

I'll look if I can download it somewhere.

I don't see anything indicating that it is in fact tatooine. It looks like just a surface with sand. It could be anything. Although it would be cool if that was the editor and the supposed ease of use would help me build the best maps i could think of.

EDIT: Oh i see what you're saying. The screenshot of tatooine is using the same editor as the one that you used for battlezone. Cool, well it looks like i'll be going into the planning stages for my maps now. Can't wait for this game.

Hi,

The editor is based on on the editor you may have used in BZ2, but it is expanded in capability and does not work like the BZ2 editor, in that you could activate the BZ2 editor from within the game. It is not really designed at this point to be a slick user editor. To really use the editor like we do, you would have to have access to all the raw data files that make up the level files, which are 'munged' (compressed) into that file. Perhaps you could uncompress the various compressed files with a hack, but you would also need a copy of the current editor and some other tools we use, or hack the BZ2 editor to work on the SWB files.

Maybe that is possible, I'm not sure as I have not keep up with the BZ2 editing comunity and the current level of hacking talent working with it. Hopefully the users will push us (Lucas Arts-Pandemic) to release a refined editor for users, if that is something a lot of people will really want.

Perc.

P.S. Level design is easy if you have complete freedom to do what you want. We have to please and consider many different opinions, and work in a large team, with diverse goals.

To the devs: As a gamer and an editor, i think it would be safe to say that many out there would like an editor for this game to build their own levels. I for one have some ideas on levels i would like to build as well and i' sure some of the guys on this board have a lot of other ideas. Please, if possible, release an editor to help us realize these ideas.

Archived