Home

Where can I find a 'background stripper'?

Sanspoof

Are you thinking of SCUMM Revisited? That program will certainly let you view backgrounds. Unfortunately it only works on MI1-MI2 and all subsequent SCUMM games, so anything made earlier than that is out of the question.

You can download SCUMM Revisited here.

There's also Scumm16, a program that lets you look into the resources of the games from Maniac Mansion to MI1-MI2. I've uploaded it to my webspace: get it here.

(On a different note, Scumm16 disappointed me a bit since it refuses to view the Loom FM Towns resources. But you probably won't have that problem.)

• 2 weeks later...

Ssssh, don't tell anyone, but there's also a SCUMM Revisited 5 pre-release build 130 here:

http://scummrev.mixnmojo.com/SCUMMRev5_Build130.zip

Since I'm not going to be able to work on it for the next several months, might as well release what's done so far. Don't ask me what it does, because I don't remember. It does view background images from (the original) Maniac Mansion as well as Zak256 (but doesn't save as far as I recall - there's always PrintScr...).

Also some weird video exporter thingy (without audio, no audio support whatsoever in SR5, but you can obviously rip that with SR2 and mux'em together with VirtualDub or something) that I believe Remi used to release the videos at TSB ;)

Lots of unimplemented stuff - most viewers are bad and unfinished, etc. etc. But it does some stuff :p

Thanks ;) The "next several months" was probably even being optimistic. Most likely I won't do more on it ever. Might release the source sometime, though (although it won't be for the next month, since I'm leaving), if Ben or someone else wants to work on it.

For my part, i need to create background in order to change the background picture of the old scumm games...

So, i need a program (or just an help and i can create it) which transform a BMP in a CLUT file and a SMAP file.

I've made a big project and it's my last problem ! Several programs (scumm16 , scumm revisited...) transform the backgrounds in a BMP or GIF file but i had never find a program which can tranform a GIF or a BMP to a background usable in MOnkey island 2.

The CLUT and SMAP file are used in Scumm Revisited: CLUT is the color palete and SMAP is the pixels map.

How i can do for find it ???!!!!

I NEEEEEED it !

Thank you !

Originally posted by damien11

For my part, i need to create background in order to change the background picture of the old scumm games...

Even if you had such a tool, you'd still need another tool to put back the new graphics into the resource file - unless you have a tool like this already.

Also, is what you're trying to do really worth the work? Maybe it would be easier to use AGS or something to get what you want.

No exactly... But thank you for your answer.

i had ever created a tool for export image from the game to a Bitmap File (or Gif) .

And i had ever made a tool for put an image (the RMIM (SMAP) format) in the game.

BUt what i'm looking for is a tool which transform BMP (or Gif) to a COST file, or SMAP and CLUT files ( those files are readable by Scumm)

Is someone can help me ?

Originally posted by damien11

Is someone can help me ?

You can search for Serge's description (I think it's somewhere on the ScummRevisited site - if that still exists). The simplest way would be to store the image uncompressed, so you could at least see if it works.

But I don't know of any tool ready for use that can convert Bmps to CLUT/SMAP.

Archived