Home

KotOR

Master_Keralys

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by HalfSwedeLarz

is gigabites the highest?i thought it was killabites

You are joking, right? That is, like, the basics of computers!!

*Sigh...*

It goes: bits, bytes, kilobytes, megabytes, and then gigabytes. One-thousand kilobytes in a megabyte, one-thousand megabytes in a gigabyte. Oh, and I think one-thousand bytes in a kilobyte.

:fett:

You are correct, Majin.

The different words mean a certain amount of something.

Kilo means 1 000

Mega means 1 000 000 (1 million)

Giga means 1 000 000 000 (1 billion)

Tera means 1 000 000 000 000 (1 trillion)

Then you have Hecto which means 100, and Deca which means 10, but those arn't used in the computer business to my knowlegde. :)

It's more used in the cooking business. :p

Hi Keralys, are you back !? if so , welcome back !

KOTOR fits into 2nd level (EU) canon well enough, it makes use of the comics that were published explaining events before and after, indeed, there are numerous references to these events in the game dialogue and the little story tidbits you get during loadup...

Since its highly unlikely GL had any input into KOTOR, and any films will be made about this era, it can reside safely as some as a piece of 'unaissailable' canon, namely 'cause it doesnt involve the films' characters/event.....

mtfbwya

Unfortunately, I'm not back quite yet, I can only bounce in every once in a blue moon. Which is too bad, because I miss it around here...

That's kind of what I figured. The only problem I had was that the Valley of the Sith didn't seem to align correctly with the images we had of it from the comics (even Jedi Academy, which seemed a lot more accurate, at least if I'm remembering correctly). They certainly did a good job of getting the backstory correct up to that point, though. A few other little things bothered me, though I'm not recalling them at the moment, but I think overall the game's pretty safe.

An interesting aside, as well, particularly for the EU nerds out there:

The Rakata, if Knights is officially second-level canon on par with the books, comics, etc, could well be the answer to a great number of mysteries. As in, the Maw - which could easily have been assembled by them. As in the Corellian system and Centerpoint itself, which actually seems characteristic of the kind of thing the Rakata seemed to like doing. For that matter, the species that brought the Corellians the hyperdrive in the first place.

Unfortunately, the tidbits I've been hearing about KotOR II would seem to indicate that it will not be canon, as it indicates the Jedi all wiped out except for one (the player character) and that doesn't seem to fit with what we know about the rest of the continuity. But it may, who knows.

I know the timeline; this particular game occurs roughly 3955-3957 years before the battle of Yavin, putting it at about 3925-3927 years before the events of Ep. I. This is taking into account the events of the original Sith War with Exar Kun, which is usually placed with its conclusion at 3996 years before the Battle of Yavin.

Last note, especially for Astrotoy7: did anyone else notice Canderous Ordo's reference in one of his war stories to an early Yuuzhan Vong probe to the galaxy? It was in his story about the situation in the ice asteroid belt.

Fight Fight Fight Fight Fight!

Hmmm... I dunno, we don't know much about the Sith Era .remember in ep II they sya there hasn't been a war in a millenia so it's possible that there could of been a time where there wern't many jedi left. Until i see more of the game. I dunno if it's canon or not.

Originally posted by Majin Revan

Especially for Astrotoy 7?!?! I'm the biggest New Jedi Order Series geek!!

And yes, I did see that, it is the Yuuzhan Vong, just go here:

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=131291

:fett:

he he he .. Its probably that Keralys doesnt know you Majin,,, he and I have had many EU and NJO discussions in the past, we are on a similar wavelength so he referred to me because he knew I would be interested in such a tidbit had I not noticed it :D

ET, although you may not approve of the NJO, your binary watch still allows you entry into the geek honours system :D

mtfbwya

And here I come to correct you, some people here ARE smart.

can·on1

A secular law, rule, or code of law.

a. An established principle: the canons of polite society.

b. A basis for judgment; a standard or criterion.

It is called canon because that is the word in the English language to describe it.

Canon is the official story of Star Wars. It cannot be refuted in a discussion about star wars, while anything that is not canon can be.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

It is called canon because that is the word in the English language to describe it.

Canon is the official story of Star Wars. It cannot be refuted in a discussion about star wars, while anything that is not canon can be.

Let me add to that:

It cannot be refuted, unless it is obviously incorrect.

That doesn't happen alot though and is usually just visually. The mistakes are not intentional.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

the term 'canon' in a literary context is derived from the concept of identifying which of the Holy scriptures are accepted as as sacred and authentic texts, and accepted into the 'Biblical canon'.

in the SW universe therefore, canonization, allows for the categorisation of the varying levels of works, be they literary, cinemetic etc according to their relative 'authenticity' in the SW universe. First Level canon is defined by anything which George Lucas has written and or directly stated.....namely the 3 films. Alot of the EU subsequently falls into 2nd level and below canon..... eg. GL approving that chewie and anakin die inthe NJO is second level canon. the KOTOR comics and games are even a lower level, as they have no direct correlation with GL but have used concepts of the 1st/2nd etc levels of canon to create works that fall into the SW expanded universe.....

mtfbwya

Guest HalfSwedeLarz

knowledge, smartness, and wisdom are all different so just because you answered that doesnt me you people are 'smart'

Archived