Home

KotOR

Master_Keralys

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Dr. Curtis Saxton site (a guy that should know this better than any of us :) ) :

3. Continuity

3.1 What is official?

Story and situational elements of any STAR WARS product licensed by Lucasfilm, plus materials integral to the creation of those products (eg. design notes used in the production of the movies).

"Official" status is not a matter of personal opinion.

3.2 What is "canon"?

The non-negotiable "facts" of the STAR WARS universe and its history. All canon material is official. Most official material is not canonical. According to Lucasfilm's continuity editors, writing in STAR WARS Insider #23, canon is defined as:

`Gospel,' or canon as we refer to it, includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the novelisations.

"Canon" status is not a matter of personal opinion.

In more recent history (Star Wars Insider #68) the DK* Visual Dictionaries, Incredible Cross-Sections (2 of which has been written by Dr. David West Reynolds, the AotC Incredible Cross-Section by Dr. Curtis Saxton himself), and the Locations books have also been canonized.

The order goes:

Movies

Script

Movie Novels

Radio Drama

DK Visual Dictionaries, Incredible Cross-Sections, Locations books (Inside the World Of books)

In that order, highest priority at the top.

*DK = Dorling Kindersley

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

the term 'canon' in a literary context is derived from the concept of identifying which of the Holy scriptures are accepted as as sacred and authentic texts, and accepted into the 'Biblical canon'.

:xp: I didn't figure he needed the HISTORY of the word :p

kotOR is definitely not canon, it is a part of the EU.

all EU is non-canon.

the simple definition of what canon is - if George Lucas wrote it.

the only EU that comes close to being canon is the Clone Wars cartoon as although it was not written by GL, he did have a lot of input into it. but even on http://www.starwars.com it's under EU.

Originally posted by Siv

kotOR is definitely not canon, it is a part of the EU.

all EU is non-canon.

the simple definition of what canon is - if George Lucas wrote it.

the only EU that comes close to being canon is the Clone Wars cartoon as although it was not written by GL, he did have a lot of input into it. but even on http://www.starwars.com it's under EU.

damnit Sivksi! Now that you are a mod I cant use my brutally informative sarcasm against you lest I be bated and flamed :p

The NJO 'The Final Prophecy' came with an cdrom, which included alot of info about NJO and its developmemt.....it confirms these two FACTS :*as I mentioned above*

-GLs input into chewie dying

-GLs input into anakin dying. He actually recommended that anakin solo be killed off rather than jacen solo, as originally written,....

-and spare a poor thought for "Splinter of a Minds Eye" replete with strange continuity problems, it was 100% GLs idea, and now holds a dubious respectability in the EU......

so, 1st level canon in itself has its grey areas. Spare a thought also for the SW Holiday Special, even the Ewok Adventure movies :(

mtfbwya

I feel forced to repeat something from my previous (or next previous or whatever :D ) post here:

"Canon" status is not a matter of personal opinion!

That means, you and I don't decide what is canon or not, LucasFilm Ltd. does. ;)

KotOR definatly isn't canon, no.

In fact, nothing LucasArts makes is canon. The fact the company is Lucas owned is irrelavent. :)

I feel forced to repeat something from my previous (or next previous or whatever :D ) post here:

That means, you and I don't decide what is canon or not, LucasFilm Ltd. does. ;)

In fact, nothing LucasArts makes is canon. The fact the company is Lucas owned is irrelavent. :)

Originally posted by Jan Gaarni

indeed. But has Lucasfilm ever published a definitive listing of what is canon or not.....?? eg SOTE = canon ? NJO = canon etc

he he he This discussion has been a raging flamefest like an out of control bushfire at TFN forums for years.... this is comparatively civil :D

mtfbwya

Originally posted by fuzzyfreaker

I find Kotor, the EU Books, and some games to be canon.

That means, you and I don't decide what is canon or not, LucasFilm Ltd. does.

In fact, nothing LucasArts makes is canon. The fact the company is Lucas owned is irrelavent

Word

:D

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

indeed. But has Lucasfilm ever published a definitive listing of what is canon or not.....?? eg SOTE = canon ? NJO = canon etc

he he he This discussion has been a raging flamefest like an out of control bushfire at TFN forums for years.... this is comparatively civil :D

mtfbwya

Yes, several times.

And none of those you mention are considered official canon by the way, just official. ;)

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find Kotor, the EU Books, and some games to be canon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

That means, you and I don't decide what is canon or not, LucasFilm Ltd. does.

In fact, nothing LucasArts makes is canon. The fact the company is Lucas owned is irrelavent

Ok, wheres the official website from Lucasfilm that rules out the fact KOTOR is not canon?

3. Continuity

3.1 What is official?

Story and situational elements of any STAR WARS product licensed by Lucasfilm, plus materials integral to the creation of those products (eg. design notes used in the production of the movies).

"Official" status is not a matter of personal opinion.

3.2 What is "canon"?

The non-negotiable "facts" of the STAR WARS universe and its history. All canon material is official. Most official material is not canonical. According to Lucasfilm's continuity editors, writing in STAR WARS Insider #23, canon is defined as:

`Gospel,' or canon as we refer to it, includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the novelisations.

"Canon" status is not a matter of personal opinion.

I don't presume to pull this out my a** or anything here, this is how it is. :)

In a sense, you can say KotOR is "canon" for it's own time and events taking place in that time period, because all other material from now on and forth must be in line according to KotOR, otherwise the new material based on this time (as in non-KotOR material) can be disregarded at your own discression.

However, calling it canon will only confuse people from knowing what canon in Star Wars really is, which is:

Movies

Script

Movie Novels

Radio Drama

DK Visual Dictionaries, Incredible Cross-Sections, Locations books (Inside the World Of books)

Therefor, the word "canon" should only be used when referring to these works, and these works only!

hmm... this is just a neverending controversy that will probably last forever. I mean for people that think the books and crap arn't canon, after episode 3, star wars is finished for them.

Well, that's their loss, not ours. :D

Right? ;)

Yeah, that's true, ET Warrior. Films are absolute canon. They are indisputable, except for a few minor points.

However, that is one mans personal opinion, from LucasBooks, which is not the same entity as LucasFilm Ltd, which controls the production of all sanctioned Star Wars stories. If it hasn't passed thru them it is unofficial material.

Here is what they have to say about it over at the Continuity and Production Editors at Lucasfilm:

What's 'gospel' and what isn't?

'Gospel,' or canon as we refer to it, includes the screenplays, the films, the radio dramas and the novelisations. These works spin out of George Lucas' original stories, the rest are written by other writers. However, between us, we've read everything, and much of it is taken into account in the overall continuity. The entire catalog of published works comprises a vast history -- with many off-shoots, variations and tangents -- like any other well-developed mythology.

That is the official policy for what is canon and not, straight from the guys who control the Star Wars Universe.

The only person who can override this policy is George Lucas, obviously. :)

If he wants to disregard certain things in EU, or even his own movies for that matter, he can do it.

Archived