Home

www.JediServers.com closing down

The host of my two Jedi Outcast servers and my Jedi Academy CTF server just informed me that they will be closing down as of June 16. I will have to decide if I want to continue these servers with a different host (I am already using http://www.escapedturkey.com for two of my other servers).

Just to let the people who use my servers know what is going on.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too am directly affected by this. My server, Meatgrinder Redux (see signature) will be shutting down the 16th as well.

Having just briefly looked over some of the pricing, EscapedTurkey looks like the best deal so far, though I may have to setup a Paypal account.

; p

Whatever the case I can't deal with it immediately as I'm heading out of town for a few days this weekend for a wedding.

Originally posted by Kurgan

He's been warned...

Who?

Ok, since he thought he'd be cute, I banned all three of his accounts, pruned them and banned his IP. Enough spamming. ; p

WTF?

A mis-clicked button perhaps?

Customer Service wise, jediservers was pretty good.

Server wise, they were trash. Horridly unstable, lots of loss, low maxrates really killed it for me.

We went and got one from extreme networkz and they have maxrates greater than some q3/wolf hosts, and they were just as cheap if not cheaper, with extremely good stability, absolutely no loss, and overall awesome performance.

Honestly they were my first professional host, so maybe I'm biased, my first impression was a good one.

Maxrate of 5,000 for all game modes wasn't so great, but 15,000 for Siege was pretty smooth as far as I could tell. People overseas and with dialup had higher pings (300's-500's) but otherwise it was pretty good. You mean there's better?

Woo hoo! But anything is better than hosting on my windoze computer sharing my DSL account.

; p

uh huh... but Escaped Turkey servers share multiple games...

So a JKA server may also be shared with BF, CoD, etc, etc

And very often when Turkey servers crash, the hang stays and the Raven auto-restart fails to kick in... Leaving a crashed server until the admin can fix it...

This is a fact, I've known several people with the problem... another fact:

Cheap = Nasty (Turkey are TOO cheap... if JS are out of business, Turkey will be soon!)

MammothGames are the best bet on the list:

10,000 max rate; Unlimited Server space for maps/mods; Control Panel like JediServers; On-line support; and more...

Their prices are pretty cool too!

Not that it bothers me... I'm one of the rare few remaining with B.S. Gaming :D

Originally posted by Marcus(JSA)

uh huh... but Escaped Turkey servers share multiple games...

So a JKA server may also be shared with BF, CoD, etc, etc

And very often when Turkey servers crash, the hang stays and the Raven auto-restart fails to kick in... Leaving a crashed server until the admin can fix it...

This is a fact, I've known several people with the problem... another fact:

Cheap = Nasty (Turkey are TOO cheap... if JS are out of business, Turkey will be soon!)

MammothGames are the best bet on the list:

10,000 max rate; Unlimited Server space for maps/mods; Control Panel like JediServers; On-line support; and more...

Their prices are pretty cool too!

Not that it bothers me... I'm one of the rare few remaining with B.S. Gaming :D

Cheap does not always mean ****ty servers.

Hell look at VSK, worst server company in the world, and very overpriced.

My server is officially dead. I'll have to take down the rest of the JS ads when I get back though... (of course anyone clicking on them will see that JS is no longer providing hosting).

I didn't see the last few hours of the game (too sleepy) but I think people had fun. It was certainly packed!

Originally posted by Mephistox2

isnt it supposed tyo have ****ty service and reall, really high pings?

for turkey servers that is..

High pings? No. I took this screenie of my http://www.escapedturkey.com hosted server a few minutes ago (~6PM EDT):

ASE_screen_061604.jpg

The service has been fine. If you have some experience running servers it's great, because they give you a lot of control, it's part of the owner's philosophy. For instance, I can change the mod the server is running or the command line myself at any time, instead of having to generate a trouble ticket and wait for the host to do it. There is a nice web-based control panel that makes it easy to do that and upload files, etc.

Also, he made a script to automatically warn players and then restart the server nightly in the early AM hours to keep it running smoothly (JA servers should be rebooted every 24 hours or so because the Linux ded server uses up more CPU cycles the longer it runs between restarts).

I've been with them for more than six months and haven't had any problems.

(JA servers should be rebooted every 24 hours or so because the Linux ded server uses up more CPU cycles the longer it runs between restarts).

Interesting, I did not know that.

So what, if any, advantage is there in running a linux server rather than win32 (other than the host provider gives you no choice)?

Interesting, I did not know that.

So what, if any, advantage is there in running a linux server rather than win32 (other than the host provider gives you no choice)?

It is much much cheaper for a server hosting company to use Linux because it is "free", compared to Micro$oft, which charges $860 for one Window$ $erver 2003 license. The hosting company can then charge you a much lower price and still make money (or not).

Although M$ Window$ $erver 2003 is supposed to be a very good product, Linux is just as good (better say Linux fanatics) a server OS. The problem is with the Jedi Academy dedicated server for Linux, not Linux itself.

Archived