Home

Hard contact

Alegis

Originally posted by joetheeskimo5

... and how is it? :D I may or may not get it, depending on what you say.

If you are going to wait for me to finish it ... well, let's just say that lately, in the free-time battle, reading has been losing to gaming pretty uniformly ...

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Woah! Just bought and finished reading Hard Contact, and it's incredible! I'm now double as hyped for the game to be released. HURRY UP, LUCASARTS! :mad: But seriously, I recommend this book to anyone interested in the game. It gives you a taste of what gameplay will be like, and it has an awesome storyline!

i think this book was great. a good fun read, not trying to be anything else. also liked how they explained the difference between a regular trooper, republic commando, and arc trooper. also enjoyed how the book did not tie into the game at all except for the fact that the book was also about a group of republic commandos. i wonder if there is anything else i can think of to say i also liked. oh yeah, i love how they handle the jedi in the book. i was really worried that the book would center around the jedi or at the least take away from the story of the republic commandos, but luckily to my surprise the jedi's prescence only enhances my understanding of the republic commandos.

great read for anyone who doesn't want to spoil the game's storyline, but wants to learn more about commandos. thinking about it, i think it doesn't spoil anything episode 3.

Originally posted by eastcoast2895

also enjoyed how the book did not tie into the game at all except for the fact that the book was also about a group of republic commandos.

Oh, yes it did. It gave us tastes of things like squad nicknames, which guns you'll use (such as the DC-17 and proximity mine), and (possibly) a planet we may play on.

Originally posted by ZBomber

Uh... whens it take place?

Right after the Battle of Geonosis.

Does it tell about the missions, or before/after them?

I don't mean it ties into the game in THAT way. It's not, like, narrating what happens in the video game. It just gives you a taste of what it's like for a Republic Commando at that time. No, it doesn't spoil any missions, unless the planet

Qiilura

is in the game, because that's where the commandos go in the book.

Originally posted by tommygunner

there is a new official website!!!! republic commando it is pretty cool!

Already posted. Yeah, it is cool :)

OT: Heh, happy new year, I've got a post count of 2005 :D

Right after the Battle of Geonosis.

Really? I thought it would be kinda during the beginning of Epsiode III. However, not following Epsiode III too much (to avoid spoilers) so maybe right after the battle of genosis IS in Ep. 3. :)

Really? I thought it would be kinda during the beginning of Epsiode III. However, not following Epsiode III too much (to avoid spoilers) so maybe right after the battle of genosis IS in Ep. 3. :)

Well, not exactly. According to the time line on teh first page of Hard Contact, Ep3 takes place 36 years after the Battle of Geonosis :eek: And I'm pretty certain that's accurate, becuse the author conferred with both a LucasArts and LucasFilms representative.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also enjoyed how the book did not tie into the game at all except for the fact that the book was also about a group of republic commandos.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, yes it did. It gave us tastes of things like squad nicknames, which guns you'll use (such as the DC-17 and proximity mine), and (possibly) a planet we may play on.

i meant that the book wasn't about the game but about things in the game, like you later explain in your post.

also according to the book's timeline the book takes place 3 months after the battle of geonosis

game spoiler:

interestingly the book notes that the game takes place 0 months after the battle of geonosis. here's hoping the first level takes place on geonosis.

also according to the book's timeline the book takes place 3 months after the battle of geonosis

Yeah, but since your spoiler says that

the game takes place 0 months after Genosis,

Hard Contact takes place around that time as well and in the book, the commandos have just left Geonosis, which means it takes place right after the battle there.

.....What? How can Epsiode III take place 36 years after Episode II? :|

That would mean Anakin would be in his 50's at Epsiode III..... Obi-Wan in like his 70's. :|

I find it weird too..I could be wrong but...the prequel episodes have a screwy time line anyway...Padme looks exactly the same in Ep2 as she did in Ep1, but Anakin suddenly grows from 6 to 19 or whatever. So, I wouldn't be surprised if Ep3 did in fact take place 36 years later.

ummm, are you guys talking about the timeline from hard contact? because the timeline is in months, not years (i first made the mistake too). so according to the book's timeline episode 3 takes 3 years (36 months) after episode 2, which seems very reasonable.

also i like to apologize to joetheeskimo5 for being trivial and adding nothing to the conversation, but if i read the book correctly

commandos are put in hibernation when not preparing for or participating in a mission. and in the book it started on geonosis because that's when one commando lost all his teamates, but advances 3 months during the hibernation when they are awaken to prepare for the mission (about a weeks time).

and using the fact the game starts 0 months after geonosis has nothing to do with the book because it is a totally different team.

ummm, are you guys talking about the timeline from hard contact? because the timeline is in months, not years (i first made the mistake too). so according to the book's timeline episode 3 takes 3 years (36 months) after episode 2, which seems very reasonable.

Oh yeah! You're right! I completely overlooked that. Thanks for pointing it out. So, only 3 years difference. That makes a lot more sense :D

also i like to apologize to joetheeskimo5 for being trivial and adding nothing to the conversation, but if i read the book correctly

commandos are put in hibernation when not preparing for or participating in a mission. and in the book it started on geonosis because that's when one commando lost all his teamates, but advances 3 months during the hibernation when they are awaken to prepare for the mission (about a weeks time).

and using the fact the game starts 0 months after geonosis has nothing to do with the book because it is a totally different team.

Ah...good point. You've proved me wrong twice. ;)

Archived