Home

Unit Massing

After our game today, I thought about this.

Everyone massed units. We threw masses of units against each other. I thought this was very unstar warsy when it comes to the particular civs we were playing. I mean, come on, none of the civs(except for saber's confed) would mass so many units(especially my desperate 200 rebel troopers).

So, should SWGB2 discourage massing units?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.

Large amounts of units in the game give it an epic feel. I think that the typical army size range in SWGB was good enough to make the game seem epic without being overwhelming (ie, no 500 unit games). Maybe a little smaller for grphical and balance reasons, but I dont want Galactic Battlecraft.

I agree, although I am the Naboo player in question, that swarms of Naboo fighters just do not correlate with the Star Wars universe. As for the Rebels I don't see them being much of a problem, as we saw at Hoth they can have masses of troops and Endor showed us swarms of air units also work for the Rebels.

Perhaps the solution is that the Naboo don't really work as a playable civ if the game is meant to be epic in scope. The four galactic powers (Empire, Rebels, Republic, Confederacy) work fine with massed units though.

Certainly if the scale was reduce to make Naboo numbers realistic, the numbers of these four would be unrealistic.

i appologized because I thought I was going to be able to swoop in and basically kill all of saber's workers with them. but i met some resistence in luke'sdads fighters. thankfully i was in t4 with full upgrades and he wasnt. so i knew i had him there.

I love to mass a wings with mounties. 1 unit on it's own isn't great, unless it's jedi. but a wings kill all troops and workers. whereas the mounties get all the mechs, heavy weapons, power cores and CC's. Easily my favorite combo in the game. And since they're so cheap it's easy to mass produce them.

Windu Naboo are no match for the Imperials, Rebels, Republic or Droids and its quite obvious that 15 fighters and a hand full of soldiers are no match for armies of 10,000 or more.

A-wings are cheap your right so cheap infact that it takes 10 of them to wipe out 150 workers in 30 seconds. If you had of used strike mechs you would not have apologised about killing all his workers. Obviously you know they are overpowered....

A Jedi on there own can't fight an air cruiser so they are not that great and cost a hell of alot.

Air Cruisers are easy to deal with though.

Froz, it sounds like you've got some pent-up aggression towards A-Wings.

Windu, I agree the Naboo would probably build a greater military presence after the Battle of Naboo, yet they still would not be on the scale of the armies we saw in the Battle of Geonosis.

froz you can say the same thing about the elite geonosians.

boy somebody has been raped by a wings before...

besides, without upgrades, they have an attack power of 2 with 15 HP. Buy a couple of fighters and stop crying. :)

If someone let's me get to t4, and buy all the upgrades for them, that's their fault. not mine. attack sooner or more often so i dont have the resources.

Yeah, stop whining Froz. :)

pbguy never relies on a-wings to win the game, they're usually just the coup de grace. It's his mounty floods that do the damage and there's nothing "cheap" about that. In that game I was dead long before the a-wings turned up. I screwed up really badly early on and lost my cc in T2. If I'd played better I wouldn't have got to the point where a-wings could do that much damage, or where I couldn't recover from it.

exactly. at t4, a worker raid shouldnt hurt you that badly. it's just a way to make the holonet a little cheaper. they're very effective vs troops too.

and saber, if you look back at our game (which i did this morning) you'll notice our troops passed each other (in t2) and didnt see each other due to a little path of trees blocking them! otherwise the game could have gone differently.

also, you sent your troops at my carbon guys the wrong way! the wall of prefabs wasn't done! and if you'd have come all the way to the left you'd have seen i was 2 short of a full wall and you might have done some serious damage! :p

Vostok - while that is true, the simple fact that the Naboo could put up that many fighters under occupation was quite a feat. One could also assume that there were many other hangers under guard at the time, and you then factor in the Gungan Army. Although i agree that they would never be as powerful as the CIS, Republic, Empire or Rebels, i think in this case the game would gain more from their inclusion that it would from their exclusion.

As part of what was said regarding their weakness, that is why in my 'Conquer the Galaxy' Clone Wars campaign, the Naboo are a non-playable civ, and just reside on Naboo. The player can only choose the Republic or Confederacy until all campaigns are completed on the hardest difficulty setting, then they can play as the Naboo.

Pay no attention to Froz. He claims he's a great player but for some reason he isn't keen on demonstrating it in a game. He claims it would be unfair of him to play any of us, yet as a result of his posts on this forum he doesn't exactly strike me as the type of person who cares about his opponent's feelings. I won't believe he's anything more than a rook until he proves it. Even posting a recording of one of his games would be enough, but something tells me he won't even be willing to do that.

vostok- I never said I was a great player but thanx for the compliment. I would post up my records if I could get my old computer working that I played swgb on with all my good records on it. But after it died I just bought a new one and started playing SWG. I was going to post a couple up of me fighting drunk but I can't so you'll have to wait. If you have this forum match at a reasonable time I would be willing to play but 4pm is like 2am here (off the top of my head)

pbguy- Self proclaimed inter+ I have never seen you in a inter+ game or even heard of you and if you were as great as you make your self out to be I'm sure I would have. If we have a 1v1 I hope you don't use your 20 min t2 rush on me that looked brutal. :rolleyes:

saber- Nice someone can admit they did not play that great in that game but I guess vostok and pbguy have to bigger egos to admit it. You rock for that.

Archived