Home

Alien Versus Predator.

ET Warrior

Well, the Aliens and Predators are just fine, and awesome. If we had a movie based on them battling it out with each other, I'd love it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good plot, but the humans seem to do more harm than good...

Bad acting, and too much cursing. Honestly, no intelligent person curses this much. It makes you feel like the humans are a bunch of 14 year olds in the height of puberty who curse because they think its cool...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Hiroki

Well, the Aliens and Predators are just fine, and awesome. If we had a movie based on them battling it out with each other, I'd love it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good plot, but the humans seem to do more harm than good...

Bad acting, and too much cursing. Honestly, no intelligent person curses this much. It makes you feel like the humans are a bunch of 14 year olds in the height of puberty who curse because they think its cool...

I cuss alot. Are you saying I'm unintellegent?

Its pretty sad that you were bashin on me for making generalizations, and here you are making them yourself.

Honestly, no intelligent person curses this much. It makes you feel like the humans are a bunch of 14 year olds in the height of puberty who curse because they think its cool...

you've obviously never hit a nerd in the hand with a hammer. >_>

Originally posted by ET Warrior

I think Nerds curse more than any other group of people. Including sailors ;)

It's the video games I tell you!!!

I'm a nerd, and I WAS in the Navy. You should have heard me playing Riddick yesterday, I had to shut my door, as to not startle anyone. :D

i don't remember anyone swearing much in any of the alien films, appart from the classic "bitch" at the end of aliens, and that is hardly a swear word at all.

can't remember much swearing in predator either, but it has been a while. P2 may have had a bit though.

It is an interesting theory though... take humans out of films cos they swear... :confused::eek::confused:

I swear all the time, as does everyone i know. I've seen very few films that have anything close to a realistic level of swearing. Especially if you consider that the (obsolete) humans in these films are (a) solidiers, who IRL swear every 2nd word and (b) about to be eaten, a fairly stressfull situation.

I'm surprised anyone even worries about swear words anymore, the only one that has any impact at all these days is the C word, and even that doesn't mean much anymore.

Of course, if they ration the swearwords in a given film, and then put them in at the right moment it can be a good way to add impact, but for most of us swearwords ceased to be an issue years ago.

Well, if you took the humans out, where would all the dialogue come from? Hisses, roars, and odd clicks? That was the problem with the first script...

...or thats what the producers thought atleast.

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

I'm a nerd, and I WAS in the Navy. You should have heard me playing Riddick yesterday, I had to shut my door, as to not startle anyone. :D

Me too, I kept yelling:

GODDAMN YOU MOTHER**** WHY DON'T YOU LET ME BREAK YOUR ****ING NECK!

seriously, this movie could rule.

Well why do you need to curse? It shows a lack of intelligence. You love to listen to what a bunch of guys in lab coats tell you, right Kane? Well that came straight from them. Cursing shows you can not come up with nothing more intelligent. Scientific.

Cursing shows you can not come up with nothing more intelligent. Scientific.

Actually, it should be said "Cursing shows that you cannot come up with ANYTHING more intelligent. So apparantley you can be dumb and not curse. j/k ;)

Anyways, I've been told that before. Never by a scientist, but I've heard it said. And I don't buy it. Why? Tons of people, intelligent people, cuss. Alot. Doctors, lawyers,directors, pilots, comedians, hell(oops, does that make me stupid?), even astronauts or "rocket scientists" cuss. Someone, in basically every profession that requires some intelligence uses profanities.

I like to think of curse words as vocal punctuation marks. If that makes any sense to you.

Well, hell, damn, and such do not bother me. They are alright when used in moderation. Its just when people decide to start saying: "Oh like I was going down to the ****ing supermarket the other ****ing day, and saw that ****er Ronnie walking down the ****ing Sidewalk, and I was like Oh my ****ing God, what the **** are you ****ing doing, you ****ed up ****er?!"

You get it? :)

If you ever see a Scientist speak like that, then make sure and tell me. ;)

I use TONS o' Profanity, and I'm taking engineering courses at college and currently have a 3.63 GPA. nothing astounding, but i've only had one year and my first semester I got raped by Chemistry :(

Cursing excessively has NOTHING to do with intelligence. What's the difference between using THOSE words or using OTHER words? It's just a part of my vocabulary. In fact, the fact that I USE profanity and you don't means my vocabulary is more diverse than yours, so I guess that makes me smarter :dozey:

I use TONS o' Profanity, and I'm taking engineering courses at college and currently have a 3.63 GPA. nothing astounding, but i've only had one year and my first semester I got raped by Chemistry :(

Cursing excessively has NOTHING to do with intelligence. What's the difference between using THOSE words or using OTHER words? It's just a part of my vocabulary. In fact, the fact that I USE profanity and you don't means my vocabulary is more diverse than yours, so I guess that makes me smarter :dozey:

Werd. It's just a sound you make with your throat, toungue, and teeth.

....In fact, the fact that I USE profanity and you don't means my vocabulary is more diverse than yours, so I guess that makes me smarter :dozey:

ok f**kface.....

it all depends on context, when Im with friends, at home I swear enough, but not in everyday work life, or to my grandma !

f**k you ! (see, Im smart like you too ET !) pfft !

mtfbwya

its just part of an evolving language.

New words appear that add emphasis, then they become common-place so that they no-longer have an impact, then newones need to be found to give that impact/emphasis.

Unfortunately, due to some weird old guys being mostly in charge of media censorship the film and tv world ends up being about 2 generations behind real life when it comes to things like swearing.

Damn, god dammit etc... all stopped being shocking in the 50s or 60s, now they aren't even considered swear words. The S*** word used to be shocking in the 70s or 80s, but now isn't really a swearword either. The f-word was rude in the 90s, but with the current generation it is so commonplace that it is no longer shocking.

The only probelm with swearwords is that they can be overused to the point of obscuring the meaning, but then L33t-spk, lack of punctuation and overuse of phrases like "like" have a similar effect... so it has nothing to do with the words themself.

Does anyone know that Buxom used to mean giving and compliant and could be used for men and women. People were asked to be "buxom in their worship of god". It is only later it came to mean something else. Evolving language see?

O.K -> From Ole Korrect that a previous american president who was illiterate used to write on his papers...

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

it all depends on context, when Im with friends, at home I swear enough, but not in everyday work life, or to my grandma !

Exactly, I know when to turn it off, and if I were a soldier trapped in a war between Aliens and Predators, I sure as hell would be cursing to beat the band..

And Astro is a d**k :p

Why bother though? Its just...so stupid. The word means to have sex with somebody, and you are saying it most likely completely out of context, or to somebody you are addressing in hatred. Which makes no since at all.

"I'm gonna f**k you up!" You are saying you want to have it on with him so you can get him up. Is that what you meant? :)

"F**k you!" I want to have sex with you...plain and simple.

"Shut the f**k up!" A completely out of context word.

"What the f**k is that?!" Another completely out of context word...

"I'm f**ked..." I have wanked to the point that I am tired. :p

Just a few examples...

i think using cursing is a way to make a statment more startling. sure its out of context but if it makes a point, why not use it?

and your vocabulary proves nothing about your intellage. For example my english is worse then being greeted by aystros anal intrudar (:p ) but my mathmatical skills are out of this world :D

But English is not your native tongue, is it? And besides, I didn't say you needed to spell perfectly. I just do not understand the use for cursing. You can simply raise your voice if you wish to make your statement startling.

Besides, if nothing is wrong with cursing, then why not teach your kids to do it? :p

But English is not your native tongue, is it? And besides, I didn't say you needed to spell perfectly. I just do not understand the use for cursing. You can simply raise your voice if you wish to make your statement startling.

Besides, if nothing is wrong with cursing, then why not teach your kids to do it? :p

Who said I wasn't gonna teach my kids to do it?

Besides, if nothing is wrong with cursing, then why not teach your kids to do it?

Well, you don't teach them when they're young because young kids have no tact and will use the words at extremely inappropriate times. By the time they're old enough to handle it, they'll have picked it up by themselves.

And as for your "it being out of context", I think it was toms who explained that language evolves. It used to mean that, just as Gay used to only mean happy. Now it is NEVER used to mean happy.

Archived