Home

Gameplay worry...

Sabre9

Am I nuts, or am I getting worried?

OK, AFAIK, there will only be Imperial/Scum or Droid/Republic combat, on a fixed number of planets/maps, that will have static features (Endor will have traps at positions X, Y, and Z, there are only 2 paths for AT-ST's to travel through, etc).

Anybody else worried that the gameplay will get static after a couple of months, and that we'll be totally dependent on 3rd party maps for long term play? And because of the map-specific stuff that's possible (again, Endor Ewok traps), and the size of the maps, won't map makers find it's more difficult to make maps, so they'll be fewer of them?

For you veteran 1942 players... how many different ways can you play the same map with the same sides over and over? Or, because I've never played 1942, I don't know what I'm typing about, and am needlessly worrying (I hope!)?

As one who has both 1942 and vietnam, the game never seems to get boring as 2 games are never played the same way. Sure, objectives are the same (capture the base) but there are times when it just feels like a totally new game because of the different ways people play and the roles you take in the game. There's this one map in vietnam which is perfect for sniping. Now most of the guys in the game go for front line fighting, which is cool but i always go for the snipe tactic. And i'll tell you there's nothing like sniping a guy who's trying to snipe your guys or a guy who has you in his sights and you gotta snipe him before he snipes you. And if he does, then you can start all over again, take up a new position and snipe or join the assault as a front liner. But with this game and the diversity of vehicles and ways to play, i'd have to say that battlefront actually looks like it has even more replay value than vietnam. Plus the fact that there are a lot of talented mappers out there who have some great ideas, i think this game will take a long time to get boring......... well hopefully if it is a good game, that is.

I'm not too worried about the gameplay. Even if all the maps prove to be static, with set trap points, etc., I don't see why that should make the game less fun. While the maps might remain the same...I believe the tactics used when playing them will not.

When the game is first released, everyone will be on a pretty even footing and try certain tactics to gain the advantage, etc. Over time, as tactics become known...a different approach will be needed. Also, if the maps are well designed (and I really hope they get the design right), people will start to uncover 'blind spots' and certain tricks in using parts of the scenery to their advantage. Sometimes it comes down to players managing to do something they weren't meant to be able to do.

With a range of classes available, there is always the option of trying to master a certain class, or moving onto other classes and playing the game in a completely different style than you would normally. AS suggested, some maps are probably more conducive to sniping, others to vehicular combat...but playing a different way on those maps could lead to some interesting situations.

I played quite a bit of Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory for a few months running - but I've pretty much kept to a particular class and using certain weapons because I'm more effective with those. However, I intend to go back to the game and try out the other classes and use different tactics - which will make the whole experience fresh.

Archived