Home

What happened to Highland Productions?

graahf

This is probably pretty obvious to you guys.. But I remember going to that site years ago to download midis, but now its like every trace of it is gone (all dead links I find) and even searching this forum didn't really turn up anything.

If its gone for good does anyone know where to get the midis it hosted? In particular I'm looking for all of the mt-32 midis - finally bought a mt-32 module!

Nah, really, when Mixnmojo crashed for THE umpteenth time wiping out the pages, neither telarium nor I were really working on it anymore, so it never got uploaded again. The MIDIs are still lying around outthere, I'm sure - soundtracks.mixnmojo.com at least used them for their mp3 versions. But then again... Laserschwert just posted, so he should know ;)

However, we never released MT-32 MIDIs as far as any of us recall. All the MIDIs were rearranged for General MIDI.

You're right, guys... I used your files for my MP3-soundtracks... anyone interested in me hosting the MIDIs as well?

By the way, Serge, congratulations on Denmark making it into the quarter finals of EURO2004... unfortunately Germany sucked, so they didn't make it AND coach Rudi Völler retired... luckily I am not enough into soccer to care. Although I would've watched if Germany would still play :p

Thanks guys. I guess you were right - there were no mt-32 midis on highland. I managed to track some MI1 and MI2 midis down made by Quest Studios though - which is weird because their site makes no mention of them whatsoever.

Still curious if there are more floating around somewhere..

Originally posted by graahf

Thanks guys. I guess you were right - there were no mt-32 midis on highland. I managed to track some MI1 and MI2 midis down made by Quest Studios though - which is weird because their site makes no mention of them whatsoever.

Yeah, Tom (Lewandowski of Quest Studios) was the one who started it, really. Got a lot of help from him with converting properly from MT-32 to GM when HighLand started out.

It's possible to get all the MIDIs out in MT-32 format yourself with SCUMM Revisited 2 - don't ask me how, I don't remember ;). They're stored as Standard MIDI format 2 (as far as I recall), which means individual iMUSE sequences are stored one in each track - all "playing" at the same time (which is why it sounds dreadful when (if) SCUMMRev plays them back).

So, if you load it into a sequencer (that supports format 2), you can split them up and mix them as iMUSE would (which coincidentally is how HighLand did it in the first place - other than removing all iMUSE SysEx's and changing velocities and patches to match the MT-32).

The iMUSE mixing is the part that takes the longest time - if you want it accurate, some tracks, such as woodtick in MI2, are pretty hairy, since some tracks may actually fade in and out of the complete mix to add/remove a few additional instruments to an already playing track.

Originally posted by Jake

Okay, http://highland.mixnmojo.com should have content on it in the next hour or so, assuming the server gets its act together. There :)

Oh god, Jake... Did you really have to do THAT :)

Interesting how the page actually still looks OK in Firefox, being authored way before anyone cared about web standards...

Only a few links that don't work. Fantastic. Horrible. :)

Originally posted by Laserschwert

You're right, guys... I used your files for my MP3-soundtracks... anyone interested in me hosting the MIDIs as well?

Guess Jake already took care of that... Whether we want it or not, HighLand lives again :p

By the way, Serge, congratulations on Denmark making it into the quarter finals of EURO2004... unfortunately Germany sucked, so they didn't make it AND coach Rudi Völler retired... luckily I am not enough into soccer to care. Although I would've watched if Germany would still play :p

Did watch the game against Sweden, but soccer (or any spectator sport) is not my forte. Actually, I pretty much hate it :) Unless there's a lot of other people and various beverages involved.

Originally posted by Serge

Yeah, Tom (Lewandowski of Quest Studios) was the one who started it, really. Got a lot of help from him with converting properly from MT-32 to GM when HighLand started out.

It's possible to get all the MIDIs out in MT-32 format yourself with SCUMM Revisited 2 - don't ask me how, I don't remember ;). They're stored as Standard MIDI format 2 (as far as I recall), which means individual iMUSE sequences are stored one in each track - all "playing" at the same time (which is why it sounds dreadful when (if) SCUMMRev plays them back).

So, if you load it into a sequencer (that supports format 2), you can split them up and mix them as iMUSE would (which coincidentally is how HighLand did it in the first place - other than removing all iMUSE SysEx's and changing velocities and patches to match the MT-32).

The iMUSE mixing is the part that takes the longest time - if you want it accurate, some tracks, such as woodtick in MI2, are pretty hairy, since some tracks may actually fade in and out of the complete mix to add/remove a few additional instruments to an already playing track.

Yeah, I'm aware that its possible to rip iMuse soundtracks... But I imagined it was quite a bit of trouble, and I was right I guess ;)

The good news is that the MI1 and MI2 sets I found by Quest seem to be 100% complete. I'm just curious whether Quest did any other MT-32 midis of Lucas games. Anyone know? Thanks again for the info :D

Archived