Home

2005 year of the RTS

Guest DarthMaulUK

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Observe the top Pinned topic and the Topic about the new SW RTS and the "Force has not forgotten us" topics for the exact same thing in differently worded format.

Shouldn't this topic be changed to 2006 the year of the RTS since the game will inevitably get delayed till mid 2006

Though why would we really need modability except to put more star wars things in it?
For that very reason. With decent modability people can actually have civs like Trandoshans, Mon Calamari, Chiss and Yuuzhan Vong without the professionals having to waste their time building in these unpopular civs properly.

I hope you're right Viceroy in that they're going to go for new ideas. I wouldn't mind the C&C style of play in general, but there are three major things I hope they don't carry over:

[*]A limited number of technologies. As I've said elsewhere, having a huge range of technologies and upgrades to chose from makes the game a bit more interesting to me. It means you won't necessarily play the game the same way all the time; if your opponent is using lots of air against you you'd upgrade you AA defences first, but if not you might upgrade something else instead. I don't remember the techs available in Red Alert 2, if indeed there were any at all, but in C&C Generals (although I know Petroglyph didn't make it) there was only half a dozen techs which were researched in the same order every time.

[*]Superweapons. All C&C games have superweapons, and I for one am not a huge fan of them. The games become an arms race to rush to get the superweapon. Not only is it bad for gameplay, but let's not forget that in Star Wars it just doesn't fit. The only civ with a superweapon was the Empire with the Death Star, and the reason they had it was because they were the ultimate evil force. If everyone has superweapons it doesn't have the same significance.

[*]Preset maps. My biggest gripe about C&C multiplayer and for that matter Blizzard multiplayer. A random map generator is essential to ensure decent multiplayer. Relying on map makers to produce new multiplayer maps to keep the game interesting is not a good idea. They should take the hint from Ensemble and their RTS's multiplayer success and get a random map generator.

[/list=1]

Vostok did you properly explore Pre Generals C&C games they indeed had random map generators you actually had to put in your preferences though Which was a pretty good idea then.

RA2 didn't have any techs in it but then the Campaign showed clearly that you wern't researching but showed who/where Researhc was done.

Some superwapons could be in say if you had them on the scale of the Genetic Mutator, Iron Curtain and the Chronosphere.

You could have the Ares Class Tactical Missile for the Confederacy (Some kind of Biological weapon in the Clone wars Cartoon)

Turbolaser Bombardment Uplink center for the empire.

Ion Cannon for Rebels (Disable mechanical things)

For the Republic you could have a Radar Jammer (think how the Republic delivered such a suprise on Geonosis.

I'll try and explain it.

Think having specific units counter another specific units like our Mech Destroyer owning any Mech and our Strike Mechs owning Troopers.

On RA2 there is a generator but you have to pick the preferences tileset and all the other details I think it's in the section which for some reason is called "Create Map" hwo strange I wonder why they called it that.:bdroid2:

I should point out that Battle for Middle Earth does have superweapons (kind of). The Army of the Dead and the Balrog and so forth are (kind of) superweapons. However it works in that context for Lord of the Rings, for Star Wars there is no equivalent.

Froz, just to expand on Viceroy's description of rock-paper-scissors: I'll assume you're familiar with the game of rock-paper-scissors where each item beats one particular item but is beaten by another. The same goes for SWGB:

Rock beats Scissors beats Paper beats Rock

Mech Destroyer beats Strike Mech beats Mounted Trooper beats Mech Destroyer

So it came as little surprise when Electronic Arts announced The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth, a PC RTS based on Peter Jackson's film threesome. The game--subject of a recent hands-on--is one of the most anticipated PC games of the year, and it has RTS addicts already exercising their mouse fingers in anticipation of the game's December 6 release.

Now it appears that Star Wars fans will be getting an RTS of their own. In an interview with the Hollywood Reporter today, LucasArts president Jim Ward was discussing post-Episode III Star Wars properties. Besides talking about "new live-action and animated TV shows" (which will hopefully be better than the Droids and Ewoks series, or the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special), he also discussed LucasArts' future game plans.

Ward said the company's strategy was to create "original Star Wars games like a new real-time strategy PC game that Petroglyph is developing for next year. This game will take the genre in a new direction and will balance gameplay between the hardcore gamers who buy these games and the broader audience that's familiar with the Star Wars brand."

Unfortunately, that's all LucasArts is saying about the as-yet-unnamed Star Wars RTS. Representatives for the publisher declined further comment on the game, saying only that it would be "available next year." However, Ward's comments do reveal that LucasArts is continuing its transformation from a publisher with in-house development to one that farms out games to independent studios.

In the case of the Star Wars RTS, LucasArts has made an interesting choice. The game will be Petroglyph's first, and is most likely the "killer top-secret project" mentioned on its Web site. However, the independent studio has an impressive roster of veteran game designers, including many of the original Command & Conquer team from Westwood Studios.

GameSpot will bring you more on the Star Wars RTS as details emerge.

from gamespot

Archived