Home

Supporting OJP

razorace

Well, people seem to be willing to "stick with it" if the unpopular gametypes are over quickly (hince the 20 timelimit) and immediately followed by something more popular.

Yeah, which of course just means those of us who DO like those gametypes get screwed out of a good time. Then again if it's one of us with admin access we can just change the settings on the fly!

Lath brings up a good point about callvote spamming. How do we stop this?

Some people, just to be annoying (or to stop them from being vote-kicked) will continuously bring up votes, without any break in between. The votes always fail. Should there be a delay between how often you can call a vote? Say "callvote spamming" limits? Could the vote thing be combined with "center print" somehow to draw more attention to it? A lot of people don't know how to vote, period or they just ignore it....

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why don't we just make it so a person can vote only 1 time in a game type like say you can only call for a nextmap 1 time and when someone does it thats it no more trys tell the next round. But then I no nothing about the coding so i have no idea if that would wrok or not. btw i tried the nextmap vote it doesnt work at all.

TeamVoteKick is the only "kickvote" option that need to be on on Meatgrinder, period.

When noobs whine about not being able to kick the good players.. I laugh. ;) Trust me, on all the other public servers with votekick enabled, it's inevitably abused, hence why we have that rule! ;) Some people are idiots, they will try to kick the bots individually too. Other times they do it as a joke just to see if they can kick us. More often than not though people who visit have no idea who any of the admins are, and have never heard of OJP. In short, they're completely without a clue...!

As to the callvote spammers, I say some kind of delay between callvotes for each individual player. Say they can only callvote every X seconds or whatever. And that should be counted when a vote is not in session, so they can't just spam a vote immediately after the first one fails and ad infinatum. Put a decent value on the default value, and make it customizable. That should make everybody happy... right?

I think the basic voting options we need are TeamVoteKick, RestartMap, NextMap, and that's probably all we really need. And if at all possible, those should be usable even if people don't have the client mod installed...

Would it make you guys happier if players could only call 3 votes per map? It looks like Raven added code to do so but they never enabled it.

We could try it out on Meatgrinder, but I see how somebody could just abuse that by spamming three superfulous votes at the start to ruin it for everyone else. Unless you mean each player would be limited to calling 3 votes per map... which might work better. Doesn't seem like much reason to do more than that on a single map and would cover the bases.

Not to go too off the topic at hand or anything (not sure where else to post it without starting a new thread) but I just wanted to say that OJP Enhanced is the best saber mod so far. The saber combat is fun and realisticly epic, it goes back and forth all the time and it can be ended pretty quickly (Well for me, i play with friends and put g_DodgeRegenTime 2000 so its enough to dodge a few blows but not be invincible). I've had lots of fun fights with this, where my friend would attack too much and exhaust himself a bit while his dp got drained slowly and he'd lose his saber down a hill or something. At that point he either had to go down and get it or die, it was great fun moving around a layered level like that.

But the only problem so far with 2000 dodge regen time is that you have to be careful against really aggressive two hand users, they can easily tear through it in one good blow sometimes. Mostly to counter them i have to rely on Tavion's stance or Blue, stay at a good distance avoid being directlyh it and try to swing my saber into theirs as they attack to bring down their DP. I imagine it isnt as popular because the game gets really awkward with more people playing, one on one ffa is great though. I know your focus is on saber combat mostly but i find that improving guns would help a bit more, seperate it into another class or two, not as expansive as mods like Movie Battles II with objectives but if you could find some way for gunners to be really fun to play that would be awesome, I like using guns too :X.

Speaking of more changes, I can't wait to see some of the other changes you have planned as you've not touched force powers, which could be made more fun. I wish i could provide a dedicated server or something but I only have one computer and it isnt very "Server" material (low specs). But I just wanted to say as a fan of Jediknight since DarkForces II that your mod has been very enjoyable (I've played some of your earliest released builds, but not as much as 0.0.5/0.0.6 lately as its much more fast paced and epic). Keep up the good work :).

• 3 weeks later...
No just make it so you can only use nextmap, and only 1 time. I'm scared of kick vote that would screw kron and I, you know how many times people have tried to kick us?????

They try to kick you on our server?!

I realise that i have nothing constructive to say here, and i hope you will forgive me for this, but:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you know how many times people have tried to kick us????

kick vote that would screw kron

:lol::rofl::lol:

Thankyou.

• 2 months later...

Hey I think I can help out. With co-op mode available for OJP, I'm thinking of doing some things:

1) A new campaign, preferably one that involves RPG-esque gameplay

2) Doing a .pdf (Acrobat Reader) manual for OJP Enhanced. I can do this in my free time, but I need to know where I can get a program that lets me save .pdf documents

3) Creating hype for this mod by whoring it on other forums and creating a trailer. I have Adobe Premiere, so I will be learning how to use it. Shouldn't be a problem, I think I just need 1-2 days to learn how to use it

I do, however, have problems with #1. I have had prior mapping experience with Doom 3 and System Shock 2, and recently I gave GTK Radiant a shot. Fair enough, it works like any other map editors. However, here's the problem: I can't script. Well actually I CAN script, but I suck at it. When mapping for Doom 3, I had to refer to scripts in the game in order to get the hang of scripting. It's been such a damn long time since I've actually mapped, but it shouldn't be a problem, I get the hang of editors very easily. Thus, I need someone to guide me along the scripting system. Just hold my hands for a few weeks, and I'll be set to do things on my own, since I learn fast :)

Second problem with #1 is that I will be taking my GCE A levels this year, which determines if I can get into university. Heck I don't even have time to work on my Doom 3 mod, let alone time to work on a new campaign. However, I'm very interested in doing it. Thus, I can only work on it after November. For now, I need to learn the ropes of GTK Radiant, so if any of you can script singleplayer maps, please pm me! Thanks a lot!

Anyway, with regards to the trailer, this is what I have in mind. It will be something like:

"In 1997..." *shows footage of Jedi Knight 1, with music playing in the background*

"In 2002 and 2004..." *shows footage of Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy*

"Now..." *shows footage of OJP*

"Prepare to immerse yourself in the Star Wars universe" *shows footage of OJP's singleplayer campaign, the one that I have in mind*

Btw razor, I don't know if you're for the idea of a singleplayer campaign. If you're not, please let me know so I won't get my hopes too high :)

I do hope you'll seriously consider a SP campaign though. I can be a very good mapper =p

1. That would RULE!!!!!!!!!!! Heck if you just took the maps from Escape from Yaven and add the OJP Enhanced gameplay, that would be too cool. I've always wanted to try that mod, but it has base sabercombat (snore). Before you do anything though, We need to perfect the gameplay and balance the saber combat. We also need to make the coop bots more like the tabbots, because they suck!....and dont take full swings. Of course... we should have all this done by November, or a passable version for it. Do what you can.

2. I suppose you could do that, but I've already written a manual and am usually one of the first to know about the new changes. And make sure you've dueled real people and not just bots before you try it. Not sure how to help you out with a pdf saving thing.

3. Please do! LOL! I've been wanting to do that for a long time but have been too lazy. Try to convince people to run it on there servers while your at it if you can. We could also use some help with mod distribution *coughs*jediknightfiles*coughs* for each build if you want to help out there.

I would also suggest releasing a nicer trailer at least after the next release. There are several bugs we need to fix. Do what you think is best for this. The trailer idea was just a quick thought on my part so the creative control is in your hands....although I would like you to show it to me, Razor especially (because its his mod), and maybe Sushi or Maxstate before you release it.

That's cool hockney, I think you can do the saber manual since much of the features in OJP are designed by you. That way, at least you can play a more active role in this whole thing

On the sidenote

DID YOU GUYS REALISE THAT MY ARRIVAL BROUGHT ABOUT SUCH MAJOR CHANGES TO THE COMMUNITY?! lol jk :p

Anyone that actually completes tasks can be a major player in the JKA community. :)

Anyway, I think your ideas are great. I'm willing to assist with the ICARUS scripting as long as you can deliver the maps.

As for a campaign, one of the things I remember discussing with the Clone Wars mod guys (before it went under) was a mini-campaign about an assault on a droid R & D factory that produced the mangadroids. The destruction of the plant would explain why the Seperatists didn't just stamp out the droids.

Archived