Home

Question for Xboxers about XBox2

Hannibal

I've been reading info about the next Xbox and I think they just lost a customer in me.

No HD and it's not backwards compatible. This means it will not play any of your current Xbox games.

What kind of crap is that?

I really don't mind it not having a HD thats no big deal. But not being able to use my old games on it... So I guess everytime an XBox comes out in order to play my old games I'll have to have another system. So by the time XBox6 is out I'll have 6 systems I'm playing. :rolleyes:

What does everyone else think?

Have you heard anything else?

I think this is greedy Microsofters making a big mistake. They are making nice ground against Playstation what better way to fix that than to piss of your loyal customers.

Well, SNES wasnt backwards compatible with NES, and N64 wasnt backwards compatible with SNES and Gamecube wasnt backwards compatible with N64, so, I don't see the big deal here.

The no HD part pisses me off though. Hopefully theyll give you an option to instally your own HD.

no hard drive??? cant use all the games i have now??? what is microsoft thinking!?!?

why would i want to buy one if thats the case? i might have to start buying everything for pc and constantly upgrading it, probably be as cheap as buying a new xbox or playstation console every few years!

Originally posted by Acrylic

Well, SNES wasnt backwards compatible with NES, and N64 wasnt backwards compatible with SNES and Gamecube wasnt backwards compatible with N64, so, I don't see the big deal here.

That was at a time when Nintendo was untouchable. They basicly could do what they wanted (NES to SNES). When you basicly own the market you can do what you want. But that kind of arrogance will also lose the market for you remember Sega then came along and then Playstation. When Gamecube came along the technology had changed so at some point a company is going to have to make a system that is not backwards compatible. The problem isn't on top and is fighting to catch PS and they need to not be pissing people off.

I don't want to have a grave yard of Xbox systems just to play my older games.

Originally posted by Hannibal

I don't want to have a grave yard of Xbox systems just to play my older games.

I can definately agree to that... Let's see Pong, Atari 2600, Intellivision, NES, SNES, PS 1... I stopped there.

After reading this thread, I'm glad I didn't break down and get the X-Box and just stuck with the PC platform, at least I can do some work on my PC as well. :D

I couldn't care less about backwards compatibility. The HD is what gets me. I HATE memory cards. I HATE THEM I HATE THEM. The HD is SO convenient. But being able to play Xbox games on the Xbox 2 means nothing to me. The PS3 is not likely to be backwards compatible either, so it's not going to affect the market atall, Nintendo's next gen console isn't planning backwards compatibility either.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm goign with the PS3:D I got a PS2 so I guess my favorite franchises are with Sony, plus it sounds liek the PS3 is going to be able to do A LOT of things, I've even read somewhere that there is goign to be 2 versions of the PS3 one being a "pure" video game system, and one that with be "THE Home Entertainment System" who knows??? nobody will know for sure till it's released.

well apparently the xbox2's graphics chip is developed by avi wheras the original xbox'x graphics chip was not, so in order to have backwards compatability avi would need to go through a painstaking process of sharing info in order to write thier new chip to be able to play old and outdated games from xbox1. or something like that. i seen this on an episode of G4tv.com and i'm pretty sure that's the reason they gave for the compatability thing. as far as the hard drive goes, it better be in there. that's all i'm gonna say.

Originally posted by Venom750

I watched a games show called cybernet and it said you will be able to play you old games on Xbox 2.

It seems that what I read may have just been rumors. Maybe someone starting a smear campaign trying to turn people off to the Xbox's growing market.

:confused:

No HD? Thats just lost my love of Xbox 2. I'm not buying around 5 memory cards like the PS2 and the PS1, that was way too much hassle. So I guess I won't be touching it until they bring out a hard drive or decide to put it in.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there an advantage to not having a hard drive?

I am not a big gamer and the only system I have is an X-Box that I won in a charity raffle. The only game I even have for it is KOTOR.

Will the abscence of a hard drive somehow increase the speed of the system (if indeed the rumor is true!)

Originally posted by dark jedi 8

well apparently the xbox2's graphics chip is developed by avi wheras the original xbox'x graphics chip was not, so in order to have backwards compatability avi would need to go through a painstaking process of sharing info in order to write thier new chip to be able to play old and outdated games from xbox1. or something like that. i seen this on an episode of G4tv.com and i'm pretty sure that's the reason they gave for the compatability thing. as far as the hard drive goes, it better be in there. that's all i'm gonna say.

No, the point is that the xbox uses a Nvidia geforce 3 graphics card, the new xbox is using a ATi graphics card. All the older games are made to be compatible with geforce 3 chips. So if you try to make it compatible with ATi chips you have to take apart the games then you also give ATi information about Nvidia chips. Nvidia can sue Microsoft for that.

Originally posted by nacho35

Is there an advantage to not having a hard drive?

I am not a big gamer and the only system I have is an X-Box that I won in a charity raffle. The only game I even have for it is KOTOR.

Will the abscence of a hard drive somehow increase the speed of the system (if indeed the rumor is true!)

Well you can play your save games in your friend's house if you use memory sticks rather than haul your xbox there. But you have to get alot of those memory sticks which is annoying, instead of just one hard drive.

Gah!! I'll never get the XBOX 2, nor do I want it. I can't play XBOX 2 games on my XBOX either though...

XBOX 2 will suck: no hard drive, no backwards stuff, and...it sucks...cause I wouldn't be able to get it. Its games wouldn't work for a normal XBOX either...

:fett:

• 2 weeks later...

1. Microsoft atually bought a small company last year, forgot their name tough. Their specialty? Converting graphics stuff, say, from a Nvidia card to a Ati one...

2. The harddrive costs money, and it takes up space (remember the outcry when the people saw the Xbox behemoth for the first time next to a ps2 or GC).

3. MS has made a contract with a company that specialices in Flash memory solutions. So in case there is no HDD, you will most likely still only need one "memory card".

4. I will definitely get a Xbox 2, as MS holds a lot of my favourite properties ( Halo, Battletech, Crimson Skies, Shadowrun)

Archived