Revan....Male or Female??

ILB

Is Revan Male or Female  

294 members have voted

1. 1. Is Revan Male or Female

• Male
    • Female
    • I don`t care....

That is why "canonizing" either/or version of Revan is ridiculous. It unequivocally shuts out the other half of how the story plays out for Revan. That is why I am completely against any "canonization" of Revan (and/or Exile).

Actually according to Prime both sides of the argument on the 'canon' LSM Revan issue is C-level Cannon, the canon LSM Revan statement by LLC is the same identical level of 'canon' that the game itself is, so the so-called canon Revan doesn't really take anymore special precedent, as the game is free to contradict it. One side cannot outrank the other... just like I have always stated, Revan is whatever we want him/her to be.

It is a guideline for other EU writers nothing more.

While I dislike the word canon used in reference to anything EU, it is something that must have sprung into existence from fanboys pestering LLC, and something we have to live with. Of course I still use the word 'apocrypha' in reference to the EU so I'm just out of date I guess. ;)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I always choose a female avatar, if I have the possibillity to do so. Just because I'm 100% female...

But my brother preferes a female Revan, too. He says, that the women just look better than the boys - and always playing a male Char get's boting with the time (He mostle plays one-gender-games).

We also agreed to use a female Revan in our Fanfiction. We called her Diotima and mostly I think of Revan as Dio...

Um... how about male cuz it's CANON. Anyways, I can't stop luvin ur LEGO Revanchow :D

who cares about things like "canon"? *lol* Comeon, if everything in this gane had to follow the canon, you wouldn't have the possibillity to choose a gender anyway!

What's is or isn't canon only has, or rather should have, relevance only to sources like novels or references like the chronologies or guides or whatever. In the games themselves, it should always be optional, and I'll be more than upset if I see a hardcoded Revan or Exile in ANY game! The were both male to me, and who can tell me I "played it wrong"? Besides, Revan's gender and alignment was still optional in KotOR2, so it - and the Exile's - should be in any subsequent game where it has relevance as well.

Yeh, Revan is whoever you want he/she to be.

I personally see him as a light side male, and if they refer to him as that in references and future books then great, but even if they didn't it's not a huge deal. If the book says Revan's Male you can just picture Revan as you want. That's probably why in Shadows and Light when Duron Qel-Droma has a vision, Revan is wearing his sith mask when he defeats Malak, so as not to reveal the gender or alignment but so you can decide

C-Canon--Contradicts G canon in this instance--mostly because according to G-canon, C-canon cannot be trusted--how do we know according to G-cannon, C-canon is not what the Empire with it's mysogenistic tendenices wanted us to believe about Revan?

I boggle at Leland Chee, seriously. Female Exile and Male Revan, I've played. I've tried to see a POV of them being the better stories, but...nope. Doesn't do it for me.

LSF Revan, DSM Exile. Those are the definitive stories in my mind, the best written.

K2 had potential and good moments, but overall, the plot was a slapdash effort with more holes than content. (If they scaled back that workbench, they might have had time and room enough for some cohesion...) Even with that, Brianna gets the closest thing to a full character arc that game manages. She starts as the weakest of the sisters, shunned and subservient, only to go on her trip and come back as a cross of Cinderella and Carrie. Mical gets no such development or arc. Even Dark Side, you can Jedi him up (and kill off any further discussion) in two conversations. Brianna's like a K1 character in that she makes you work for it.

Plus, a Male Exile gets Kreia's creepiest speech ever. (comparing the "virtues" of both women, complete with Kreia speculating on whether Visas's scars would turn the Exile on).

Male Revan? The whole Bastila romance left me cold. It came across as infatuation, part Force Bond, part a real need to cut loose. Bastila's never had a chance to FEEL, the Masters had their prized Padawan on such a leash! Great power in the Force, sure, but an emotional cripple - thank you, Jedi Bast...er Jedi Masters. So, there's this cute guy, a Force Bond, plenty of curiosity and a chance to explore what she couldn't get in an Enclave. More a recipie for disaster than the actual hard work of romance. Well, that, and I found Bastila's role in creating and giving birth to Revan Mark 2 makes the relationship a tad too Oedipus Rex for my taste.

The Carth romance? More work, trickier to get right. I'm more apt to see him and a female Revan walking off into the sunset, though, because the willingness to work and emotional maturity is there. There's no Force Bond here to magnify what may or may not be present (though I highly suspect Flyboy's FS, and NOT because of Dustil), and the two of them get to know each other, THEN fall arse-over-teakettle.

But, putting the romance debate aside...Juhani seems more likely to see her future in the face of another woman over the face of a man, especially given her affinity for women to begin with. Ditto with Yuthura, if you choose to turn her. Mission already has a deadbear older brother and the "adopted" brother in Zaalbar. Jolee's comparison to Sunrider fits a LOT better with a Female Revan, given Sunrider's situation. His "fight or part ways" speech also fits the Carth romance, as she'll have to regain his trust or end the romance after the revelation. Top that with Leviathan. You know Saul's not going to permanantly damage Bastila. Malak will give him a lightsaber edema if that happens. Carth, being the ex-lieutenant, not a Jedi, and probably reminding Karath of all the things the dude turned his back on, is asking to get fried.

I also like the half-twist it adds to the revelation. All through it, you expect Revan to be this big bruiser. Well, not only is he a she, but she's about Leia-sized (I prefer smuggler, sue me) to boot.

Light Side Male Revan. The Bastila romance was very fulfilling to me. I think it was awesomely played out. The Force Bond did play a role in their romance, but it wasn't the deciding factor in it. A lot of people say Revan dominates the Bastila romance or that Bastila is pushed into it and doesn't want it. Bastila does want it but she's in conflict with the Jedi, and I as Revan, love helping her through her problems and seeing her happy in the end. Bastila has a the whole Republic depending on her and despite the pressure, she is able to remain relatively strong. Bastila also has to deal with the emotional trauma from her mother's situation and father's death. Though the game may not portray it at it's best in the raw dialogue of the text, I see it as a very heartwarming story, that love has the power to save people from darkness in addition to leading them to it. Also, Carth already had a wife, and I can't stand the idea that Bastila has to be by herself, lonely and with no one to share her life with. As I've said a bunch of times on KFM, I'd be there for her and protect her to the end. Also my idea of the situation in KotOR2, is that Revan left known space to combat a darkness beyond the rim to save the Republic, but not for the sake of the Republic itself, but for a place that's safe for Bastila to live. That'd be my reason, as Revan, for leaving, although no doubt it left a scar on both of their hearts. Also when Bastila says that the relationship between her and Revan is a result of the Force Bond, that, I think, is her way of trying to deny her true feelings for Revan. Though their bond links them together, it doesn't mean that they have to love each other...but they do. They chose to. The Bond gives them intimacy and a quick understanding of each other, but it does not mean that there has to be love involved.....look at the Exile and Kreia. I don't think there's any real romance there. Bastila is not overwhelmed by Revan in their relationship, either. Revan tries to help Bastila through, not drag her through, her times of need. When Bastila says,"You're stronger than I am...", I interpret this as Revan being able to continue strongly on the mission along with his feelings for Bastila and emotional exhaustion from the long adventure. Bastila has trouble with this because she is taught by the Jedi not to feel emotions. But even Jedi are people, and people feel emotion, so it is only natural. I'd wish though that Bastila and Revan would have more closure to their relationship in KotOR1. It cuts off when Bastila isn't afraid to feel love anymore, and I really think, that after that with some well-earned R & R from the Star Forge mission, Bastila and Revan had a great year before Revan left. It's really clear also that in the cutscene for LSM Revan in KotOR2, that Bastila is heartbroken over Revan's sudden departure, but he knows that it's for the best, and so does Bastila. Even though they would love to have stayed together, there would be no doubt that they would always be on the run from the looming darkness. Also I really don't see why a lot of people don't like Bastila's character, but like Carth's. Bastila, at first is an emotional wreck, but the same goes for Carth. He snaps at the PC about trivial things and complains about trust, but he has his reasons - Saul, just as Bastila has her reasons for her behavior - Keeping Revan on track to find the source of the Sith armada. Also, when I as the PC, first found out that I was in fact, Revan, of course it was a big plot twist and if I were really the PC in my game, it would affect me greatly. However, losing Bastila is something that cracks right to my core and finding her and saving her from harm would be my prime objective...not saving the galaxy or worrying about myself being Revan like Carth does. I would have no reason to save the galaxy if I couldn't save Bastila because, she's the reason why I'm trying to save the galaxy, so that she can live safely with some very well-earned and deserved peace from all the crap she had to fly through during the Jedi Civil War.

It's really clear also that in the cutscene for LSM Revan in KotOR2' date=' that Bastila is heartbroken over Revan's sudden departure, but he knows that it's for the best, and so does Bastila.[/quote']

There's a cut scene for this? How do you trigger it?

I prefer Revan to be a light side male.

Seems to me that while those who say it doesn't matter are technically correct (afterall, the game is supposed to be a multidimensional experience aimed at a wide audience), but I would still say that I side with the male version. I expect those characters would most likely be cast as male in a movie or in book/"comic" form. Still I think it would be stupid, or uninspired (perhaps) to limit yourself in an RPG. Play out the possibilities and then mod or pick and choose after that if your too addicted to stop playing. But technically, taking the attitude of some of the people in this form, it would also have been perfectly reasonable to assume that Darth Vader couldv'e been a female darksider (at first blush anyway, before Obi set the record straight). Afterall, why would you assume Revan HAS to be female b/c of Malak's supposed devotion? As was mentioned, DV slavishly followed EmPalp's lead for 20 years, and the emperor was male. Besides, seems to me that Malak ONLY wanted Bastilla for her abilities (was he gay or just a eunuch I suppose?). Anyway, seems to me that if you want to milk the game for all it's worth, play it all sides at least once. 'nough said.

I prefer Revan to be Male. After all, thats the character thats on the "Infinite Cash/All Lv. 1 Feats" save I got off the internet. (Joke)

Meh, I've tried to play with a female character, but I always end up shutting off the Xbox. I don't have anything against females, but I just prefer to use Male PCs.

Archived