Home

LucasArts continues to limit availability of its adventures

Udvarnoky

If you would take a gander over at the good old Company Store, you may notice the absence of the Adventure Collection, the compilation that contained Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, and Sam & Max Hit the Road. The product was removed from the web site today.

While not entirely surprising given LucasArts' loving attitude towards the adventure genre, this is yet another blow to the adventure community and leaves Full Throttle, Grim Fandango, and the Monkey Island series as the only remaining available titles from LucasArts' extensive adventure library. Woo.

This somehow all reminds me of the dutch party company "ID&T", they became big with the music style "Hardcore", when "Trance" become more popular and commercial they abandoned the "Hardcore" style.

After a while hardcore came back (due to other companies) and they are now happily trying to milk from hardcore again.

My point being, like this comanpy, LucasArts is more commercial based then trying to stay with their roots. When Adventure games become popular again (which they will, due to other companies), they will once again start milking from the Adventure cow.

(4 years ago people said hardcore was "dead" as well, but as long as there are fans and creators whom like it, it will never die and just get popular with the next generation. )

Originally posted by Udvarnoky

While not entirely surprising given LucasArts' loving attitude towards the adventure genre, this is yet another blow to the adventure community

Geez, how long are you guys going to point out these things ?

I mean, couldn't it be an " out of print" problem ?

This "LucasArts conspiracy" state of mind is becoming ridiculous. Really, I honestly think so.

Originally posted by guybrushthedwar

Geez, how long are you guys going to point out these things ?

I mean, couldn't it be an " out of print" problem ?

This "LucasArts conspiracy" state of mind is becoming ridiculous. Really, I honestly think so.

Usually when an item is out-of-print the company will not remove the page; your order will just get cancelled. You could still be right, but the Adventure Collection was, in my opinion, the most important product left at the store and now it's gone. I mean, look at the huge selection of adventure games that can be purchased from the web site right now. And yes, I realize that the games are old. If I'm overreacting, then everyone is invited to laugh at my expense when the item suddenly pops back up.

Conspiracy? I dunno, but it's getting increasingly more difficult to get adventure games from LucasArts, and I think it has less to do with stock being emptied than with the company's desire to get away from the genre in general.

but the Adventure Collection was, in my opinion, the most important product left at the store and now it's gone.

Unfortunatley, you don't speak for LEC, if they think the adventure market is wearing thinner than any other gaming market (and technically, it is, no matter how much you like it) then they'll do more for the other genre. Maybe in their opinion, one of the Star Wars games is the most important product in the store because it sells more.

Originally posted by Joshi

Unfortunatley, you don't speak for LEC, if they think the adventure market is wearing thinner than any other gaming market (and technically, it is, no matter how much you like it) then they'll do more for the other genre. Maybe in their opinion, one of the Star Wars games is the most important product in the store because it sells more.

Hmm...where did I say I was a LucasArts' executive or that I shared the opinion of one? Oh, that's right: nowhere.

I'm well aware that the company holds their Star Wars products as more important, as I'm sure you and most others are. I'm simply trying to back up my point that the company obviously feels that their adventure games aren't top priority while at the same time prove that I'm not a "LucasArts conspiracy" fanatic, which I'm apparently being accused of. DOTT, FOA, and Hit the Road were, in my opinion (as everything I say without factual backing SHOULD BE TAKEN AS - I was under the mistaken impression that everyone knew this) three of LucasArts' best adventure games, which led to my saying that the Adventure Collection was the most important product left. I think LucasArts' detachment from the genre has been evident for quite some time now.

LucasArts aren't responsiable for re-releasing their games in other territories - if the distributor in say, France, thinks the old games will sell they'll re-release them. So for example, in Germany where the games are still very popular, there was the "Ten Adventures" pack which had, you guessed it, ten adventure games in it. Even in the UK you can still buy updated versions of Full Throttle, The Dig, CMI, EMI, Grim Fandango, Sam & Max and DOTT on the high street. And I'm pretty sure the CMI pack has MI 1 and 2 with it, but I may be wrong.

And besides, eBay isn't going anywhere. You can probably get a gold-plated-signed Monkey Island car if you look hard enough.

Originally posted by Joshi

Just a tad, I mean I'm also surprised that he hasn't played it yet (fool) but it's not exactly the best game in the world.

Well, first of all, I'm a she...

And secondly, I hadn't played it yet since I didn't have a PC to play it on. Now I do. That and, well, I'm notoriously lazy when it comes to ordering things online, for some reason.

Originally posted by LucasTones

LucasArts aren't responsiable for re-releasing their games in other territories - if the distributor in say, France, thinks the old games will sell they'll re-release them. So for example, in Germany where the games are still very popular, there was the "Ten Adventures" pack which had, you guessed it, ten adventure games in it. Even in the UK you can still buy updated versions of Full Throttle, The Dig, CMI, EMI, Grim Fandango, Sam & Max and DOTT on the high street. And I'm pretty sure the CMI pack has MI 1 and 2 with it, but I may be wrong.

And besides, eBay isn't going anywhere. You can probably get a gold-plated-signed Monkey Island car if you look hard enough.

Well, I was referring to "official" means through LucasArts directly - the company that (unfortunately) only ships to the U.S. and Canada. Sure, I'm well aware that Activision has made a lot of LucasArts adventures readily available throughout Europe (and in those nifty DVD cases, too....and you get the updated versions...man you guys are lucky). And sure, I know eBay isn't going anywhere, and that it's probably the most commonly used way of getting the games anyway. I guess I just find it slightly disheartening that LucasArts has closed yet another "official" outlet for these games. As I said, I don't find it surprising, and the company is probably just trying to get rid of its old stock (I mean, come on, just the old DOS discs and that zipper case is all you get), but that doesn't make me feel any better. Despite how crappy the packaging, availability, or service was, there was always something comforting about getting these games directly from the company in some way. Ebay is always good for people who have fond memories of playing these games years ago and want to relive the experience, but what about newcomers? How the hell are they ever going to be able to discover these games short of meeting people like us? It's as if LucasArts is trying to erase all evidence that these games ever existed. That's was I'm bitching about. I wasn't trying to pretend like this is some earth-shattering situation. It's just another punch, that's all.

Hmm...where did I say I was a LucasArts' executive or that I shared the opinion of one? Oh, that's right: nowhere.

Yes, but the way you said it suggested that your opinion was fact and that the execs should realise that, as apose to it just being an opinion. Maybe I interpreted it wrong, but that's the feeling I got.

Archived