Home

Hear Keyan Play the Piano

A few years ago I bought a Yamaha digital piano and said I'd put up some recordings. I'm pretty sure I never actually did, so...better late than never. Anyway, I got the idea to record some rare Beethoven pieces that are rarely or never recorded by professionals because they are considered too insignificant. There are MIDIs around, but MIDIs suck in general, so I wanted to make some actual recordings. So I did a few of those. I also started recording the Op. 119 Bagatelles, because those are some of my favorite little piano pieces. I've got four of the eleven in the set recorded. Those aren't unknown by any means, but unless you're a Beethoven enthusiast, you probably don't know them. I also threw in some Billy Joel for a little something different.

These are completely unedited - there was no fixing of notes, merging of takes, etc. You're getting pure Keyan in these pieces.

And these are short, too; none of them is longer than a couple of minutes (except the Billy Joel ones), and several of them are less than thirty seconds, so even if you don't care for Beethoven, please check them out anyway.

Let me know what think - you like them, they're a big bag of sux, whatever.

Link: http://www.gyrix.com/recordings/recordings.html

Shhweeet! I wish I was familiar with these pieces, but they sound good to me.

My biggest problem with them is the sound of the piano... there's a certain harmonic resonance missing from even the best sampled digital pianos that makes them sound flat and stiff to me. I think it's because the attack of the notes is always so uniform,.. no matter how much dynamics you try to put into them, the attack is always exactly the same. Adding lots of reverb can help cover some of that, but never hides it completely.

Keyan, you truly have a gift. Bravo! Bravo!

Your playing is magnificent and the pieces are beautiful. I couldn't bring myself to listen to Billy Joel after the wonderful Beethoven. It would have spoiled the magic for me.

If I still lived in Northern VA, I would have hired you in a heartbeat to play at my wedding.

Originally posted by edlib

My biggest problem with them is the sound of the piano... there's a certain harmonic resonance missing from even the best sampled digital pianos that makes them sound flat and stiff to me. I think it's because the attack of the notes is always so uniform,.. no matter how much dynamics you try to put into them, the attack is always exactly the same. Adding lots of reverb can help cover some of that, but never hides it completely.

That's true. I would much rather have a Steinway concert grand piano to play, but those cost tens of thousands of dollars and take up a lot of room. Someday, though. Someday...

Anyway, I thought about opening up CoolEdit and adding some reverb, or making the sound a little brighter, but I figured it was better to just leave it alone. Let it sound like it did when I was hearing it as I was recording it.

And the digital pianos do actually have one advantage in recording. You can move around on the bench, cough, sing along with yourself, and never have to worry about any noise getting picked up by a mic :D

Keyan, you truly have a gift. Bravo! Bravo!

Your playing is magnificent and the pieces are beautiful. I couldn't bring myself to listen to Billy Joel after the wonderful Beethoven. It would have spoiled the magic for me.

Thanks, Ike, that's very kind of you! You might want to give the Nocturne a listen - it's a very beautiful piano piece, one of my best in this batch, I think. It's a shame Billy Joel stopped putting pieces like this on his albums. And a shame he stopped making albums...

If I still lived in Northern VA, I would have hired you in a heartbeat to play at my wedding.

Hellooooooooooo, what's all this then? I might remember you saying that you moved, but I don't think I remember you saying you were getting married. Did you already get married, or are you planning to?

So, for the record, where did you move, are you married, and if not, when will you be? But congrats in any case.

Anyway, I play to finish up the Op. 119 and then get on to recording some longer pieces. I was thinking of doing a couple of Joplin piano rags and some Chopin. Maybe a Mozart piano sonata or one of the easier Beethoven ones - it would truly be a pain to record an entire piano sonata without making an obvious mistake or two.

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander

And the digital pianos do actually have one advantage in recording. You can move around on the bench, cough, sing along with yourself, and never have to worry about any noise getting picked up by a mic :D

Trust me, I understand. We use Helpinstill ( http://www.helpinstill.com/ ) piano pickups in the Yamaha grands we have at work for those very reasons,.. plus the fact that we can get it cranked in the monitors without feedback.

I have a Kawai upright at home that I inherited from my uncle. It's hopelessly out of tune at the moment (another BIG advantage the digital ones have over a real one.) I wish I had some chops at it... I took a couple of very basic piano technique courses at college, but I haven't practiced since before I graduated. I spent all of my time hunched over the guitar (I also wish I had more chops at that too...) and later at a mixing desk to ever be able to play anything more than a handful of basic chords and a blues lick or two on the keys.

You can also probably move your own piano around by yourself without hiring several hefty guys and a moving van... something I dread having to face again if I ever move. No fun...

Originally posted by edlib

You can also probably move your own piano around by yourself without hiring several hefty guys and a moving van... something I dread having to face again if I ever move. No fun...

Well, that would be impossible. It's not as large as an upright, but pretty close. But it comes apart into two pieces easily so that two people can move it with no problem. It will fit in the back of a Ford Explorer if you lay the back seat down. It's a Yamaha CLP-880.

Originally posted by Ikhnaton

I moved from NoVA to CA about 4 years ago...

Well, I guess that explains it. I don't remember stuff that happened to ME four years ago.

...and I got married about 3 weeks ago. Remember Trinity? She's my wife :D

I remember her, but I thought you guys broke up. Well, like I said, congratulations! :cheers:

Originally posted by Keyan Farlander

Well, I guess that explains it. I don't remember stuff that happened to ME four years ago.

I remember her, but I thought you guys broke up. Well, like I said, congratulations! :cheers:

yeah what gives I thought you two crazy kids split up?

I do remember you moving and stuff tho....

anyways, CONGRATS! :atat:

Keylan, if you're interested there's this tool out called the synclavier. Check it out. http://www.synclavier.com Right now it's mostly computer based, but before it used to be a big keyboard and computer setup. Frank Zappa used the synclavier a couple of times in his career. If you want a sampling of what it can do, get Francesco Zappa (a possible ancestor of Frank's who was a musician) and Jazz From Hell.

I am a big Mozart lover too. Actually, I used to play that all the time from when I took lessons, but that was years ago, and I haven't played it in at least 4 or 5 years. That entire Mozart sonata is actually on my list of things to record, but I'll have to hunt down the Urtext edition of the music and relearn it. So if you can wait a couple of months, I'll do it. That one's actually pretty easy so I may be able to get it done a sooner than that. It's the first request I've ever had, so I guess I should give it priority :)

Hey guys, my cable Internet was FUBAR for about a week, so I've been gone.

Anyway, edlib, it does take years to get to know just where you need to put your fingers. That is why you always see beginning string students with pieces of tape on their instruments so they know where to put their fingers.

Huh! That makes sense.

I used to work in the woodshop at a company that made a lot of fretless electric basses ( http://www.pedulla.com/ ) and on most of them we could cut the fingerboard out just like if we were going to put frets in, but instead fret wire, we glued in little strips of whitle plastic.

Very few people ordered them with no markings on the board.

Even more interesting is the fact that once you get used to it, you can finger the notes on other stringed instruments pretty easily. I remember a girl I used to date once bought a viola. That's a slightly bigger instrument than the violin, and so the fingers have to be placed further apart than on the violin. But for some reason, having never played a viola before, I was able to pick it up and play it almost immediately. It was quite a surprise - it was as if my fingers just automatically adjusted.

I imagine it's less your fingers than your ears. The longer you play, the more ability you have to hear correct pitches. Since the technique on both instruments is almost exactly the same, getting used to a slightly different scale length shouldn't be a problem.

• 1 month later...

Archived