Home

To Hell with Internet Explorer...

Darth Groovy

Basically to make a long story short. Sometime last month, my computer got infected with a virus, simultaneously, Internet Explorer got infected with a crap load of spyware.

Since then, I've handeled the virus problem, and moved over to Mozilla Firefox, but I cannot seem to get internet explorer repaired. When I click on certain links in mIRC, IE still opens them, even though I selected Firefox as my default browser.

So then, I tried to go to the default programs and access menu, and set Mozilla as my default Browser there, and It won't let me. It says "saving changes" and just keeps up doing that forever. Finally after about a day of that, I cancelled it.

Then I figured I would just delete Internet Explorer all together, and re-install later if ABSOLUTELY necessary. I'd just like to get rid of IE and forget about it. Well, it won't delete.

Everytime I try to delete it, it says that it is being used by another program, or another user.....wtf? I don't share any files on my network, and currently no programs, or applications, or ANY other fecking computer in this house is even on?

So what i'm asking is....what do I do?

Originally posted by The Silent One

We all know IE is doomed to a pathetic miserable end, so just get Firefox! :D

Since then, I've handeled the virus problem, and moved over to Mozilla Firefox, but I cannot seem to get internet explorer repaired. When I click on certain links in mIRC, IE still opens them, even though I selected Firefox as my default browser.

Anyway Groovy, I use Avant which builds upon Internet Explorer. I had a few compatibility problems with firefox(Java wouldn't work, was slow with the essential Tabbrowser Extension, ect). The security problems aren't that bad for me, since I have two anti-spyware programs(Spybot Search and Destroy, which I have set to imunisize against spyware, and Adware) and Norton Anti-Virus set up.

Groovy, instead of deleting it, just add an extra letter to the Internet Explorer executable, incase you need it afterall like RP said.

If you're running windows XP you can't delete it because MS in their innate wisdom decided integrating a purely bug-ridden browser into an operating system was a good idea.

With opening URLs in mIRC and other such things, this option has to sometimes be set MANUALLY through each piece of software. I use Opera and Firefox but it took me a while to root out every piece of software invoking Innate Evil browser.

Good Luck on your Journey, you are entering a whole new realm, enjoy the freedom :)

You also can't get automatic Windows Updates without IE...

I tried to remove IE manually when I got my first modern PC (Win 95) since I was a Netscape kinda guy... long story short my PC was completely retarded after that and I ended up having to reinstall everything... 'Twas a learning experience indeed.

i know there was a "windows-lite" project around that managed to strip IE out of previous versions of windows without killing it (something i think microsoft had claimed in court was impossible)....

but i have no idea if it continued onto XP, or if microsoft finally managed to make it unremovable.

After a recent update i've currently got a problem on every program i use EXCEPT my internet browser... I've just looked up the problem on the web and the suggested solution is to CHANGE A SETTING IN IE!!! shows how integrated it is into the whole mess.

I use avant too... (and all the spyware, firewall, anti-virus stuff) but i'm getting a bit fed up of having to update everything all the time to keep my pc clean. Unfortunately I can't find an alternative that is as universally usable. Not their fault, but down to the fac that everyone has customised their sites to only work in IE... especially important ones like internet banking.

Yeah, Microsoft did get sued by a European Union for, like, $250- $650 million dollars because of this "anti-uninstall-Internet Explorer" stuff.

I use Opera 7.5 and FireFox .9. On my laptop, I use Opera 7.5, on my family's desktop, I use FireFox...and Opera 7.5 every once in a while.

I HATE INTERNET EXPLORER!!

:fett:

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

yeah, love it or hate it IE is hardwired into xp man..... ive tried other browsers, but just feel weird, im too used to IE...... :(

mtfbwya

Same here. I cant get use anything but IE, even though I know it suck. Just too used to it.

-Clemme

A lot of people claim this "Too deep rooted, use to it" argument. The fact is, if you decide I AM GOING TO DITCH IE, you can do it, but you have to persist.

For example, my Opera link is where IE used to be and I have to go via the start menu now for IE.

You just have to be determined enough. ok, so tearing IE out of windows may not be a wise idea, but for internet surfing there is NO reason why you can't give it a good shot, if you want to.

Except for the aforementioned internet banking, and other IE-specific sites, which do my head in. :p

FireFox is at 0.9.1 now, with a couple of good bugfixes. Though I haven't encountered practically any with 0.9.

Don't delete IE, or even try, with XP. IE, Notepad, etc. are "protected and critical" programs to XP. That's why you can't rename the program (not the shortcut) or do some workaround like that.

I'd not get Linux unless someone paid me a LOT to. :p

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Ok, thread summary.

1. Inernet Explorer sucks.

2. Do not delete Internet Explorer.

So that being said and done, what can I do to:

A. Fix the infected beast that is IE?

B. Get mIRC to open my links in Firefox?

If you've really got some serious problems with it at the moment, I'd say go for a fresh install of Windows, then install Firefox 0.9.1 and don't ever open IE.

My own PC has been a bit jittery of late, so I've been thinking of doing a reinstall. Of course, I need to back up reams of data first.

A. Fix the infected beast that is IE?

B. Get mIRC to open my links in Firefox?

A. At least run Windows Update...or download the whole IE/OE package and reinstall.

B. Yes, basically speaking. Having uninstalled mIRC to fix a strange right-click lag when online, I can't tell you where the option is...sorry.

Enjoy the journey ;)

P.S. Those who dual-boot, how much diskspace do you have and any serious issues?

So what i'm asking is....what do I do?

Try this...Open Windows Explorer and go to Tools>Folder Options. Once that opens up, click on the File Types tab. Look for the mIRC file and change it to open with whatever other browser you're going to use. See if that helps.

I used to use MYIE2 but it had some bugs it that really got to me lately. So, I'm using Opera and its pretty cool.

Archived