Home

Am I evil?

darthmikeyd

Lets forget for a minute that Grip is a darkside force power, and consider something. If I use force grip to pick up someone and drop them over the edge of a building or a cliff, does that make me evil? I will sometimes do this if I am facing mare then one dark force jedi. It is just an easy way to get rid of at least one of them to make the fight one on one.

Along those lines, if there are a group of stormtroopers close to the edge of a building or cliff, I will use force push to push them all off so I don't have to worry about them. It is just easier then taking them all out one at a time, not that it is a problem. Either way, they all end up dead anyway. I was just wondering what everyone thought.

If you look at the Jedi like policemen (which they are, according to the prequels, at least originally), then I'd look at it this way.

There's such a thing as "police brutality" and "excessive force."

Now I'm not sure what the New Republic's laws are on this, but the Jedi Order IS subject to their authority, according to everything I've read (though I hear in the much maligned NJO series the Jedi "refuse to fight" or some other such nonesense, which I guess would be akin to the LAPD or the National Guard going on strike during a war or major civil crises).

Just as police have rules they have to follow about protecting the rights of suspects, so to do the Jedi.

Now granted, there is no "option" in the game to arrest or capture any of these combatants, and its a game with programming & budgetary limitations, etc.

So we could say that excessive "torture" (shall we say) of enemies in combat would be against the rules.

So a "good" Jedi would dispatch only enemies he needs to kill and do so in a manner that is the most efficient and causes the least suffering. So if he decapitates an enemy, that's better than slowly choking him over a cliff then dropping him hundreds of stories to his death below.

In the game itself of course, your actions are completely ignored except one particular action near the end of the game (won't mention the spoiler here). So Luke doesn't care what you do, neither does Kyle, so long as you don't kill the "wrong" people (ie: whatever friendly NPC is following you on the particular mission).

But, even soldiers have ROE (Rules of Engagement).

So it would depend really on what the New Republic's rules are setup for Jedi.

As far as personal morality is concerned, a person might believe that killing ANYONE is unacceptable, except in self defense or where there is no other option to save innocents. And with a Jedi's power, they have many many options open to them to solve problems without necessarily having to resort to killing.

We see Jedi do a lot of killing in the movies, without a whole lot of explanation of the Jedi morality behind it, but I'm sure they have their own beliefs too.

One could take the somewhat machiavellian approach (though this isn't out of character with many modern religious interpretations of Just War or Jihad, statements in the Bhagavad Gita, etc), that as long as a person doesn't GIVE IN TO HATE when fighting a defensive war, they can do their "duty" without committing sin/aquiring negative karma. Of course there are also people within those same religions who would reject this idea.

So from one interpretation, as long as the Jedi aren't enjoying it and getting mad and hateful, taking pleasure in killing, they can kill all they want to in their job. Others would see this as making them "cold blooded killers" with no sense of remorse. But if you view the Darkside as merely being "negative emotions" then that is one possible interpretation.

If we view the Dark/Light as being "on the side of right" then that muddies the waters. For example, does this mean that a Dark Side user could use his powers on the side of good? Could Sith and Jedi fight together against a common foe, using their chosen powers in whatever way they deemed necessary?

When the Jedi were fighting and dying for Palpatine in his contrived war, were they fighting for the Dark Side? Etc.

i like dropping people off cliffs using push, pull or grip. it gives me that hahaha feeling. like if someone is pissing you off by say one of those dark force users, you know the ones that also push and grip at you when your trying to kill a guy with a lightsaber.they piss me off. also do what you seem is right to you. if you feel like push a guy off a cliff then do so. if you dont, dont. i like to listen to them sream all the way till i hear a thud.

Originally posted by darthmikeyd

Lets forget for a minute that Grip is a darkside force power, and consider something. If I use force grip to pick up someone and drop them over the edge of a building or a cliff, does that make me evil?

Nope, it makes you an upstanding individual whose consideration of the feelings of others is above reproach. :)

It doesn't make you good, that's for sure.

If I use force grip to pick up someone and drop them over the edge of a building or a cliff, does that make me evil?

Omg, dude can you really do that? I mean, that's actually... is not evil, it's amazing :p. Just kidding.

Making your evil fantansies or worst perversities come true in a game does not make you evil, or a pervert. In fact, releasing stress and malice on a game could help you a lot in real life.

on my server JA+ official i always tolerate that on the map there is a ""real ffa"" zone where all is permited...

and also another zone more for honour guy with chat, duel, or role play.....emot...etc....

but i don't tolerate that player from the real ffa zone come in ""honour zone" to make easy kills with read dfa for example coming from behind you...

it seems to work fine like that ....

all player can have the way they want to play

i always encourage server owners to create this kind of servers

because beeing all the time in honour is annoying

and beeing all the time in "real ffa style" is alos annoying ....

it seems that people on my server like the possibitlity of going from one zone to another with different style of gameplay...

on my server JA+ official i always tolerate that on the map there is a ""real ffa"" zone where all is permited...

You never get tired of shameless self promotion, do you? This thread is about that poor guy who's concerned about him being evil or not.

Originally posted by CortoCG

This thread is about that poor guy who's concerned about him being evil or not.

this is not the good question

there is no evil and no good

there is just various style of wish of playing the game

and it is nice to have both on a the same server in order to fight against monotony

Most powers are "neutral" and it is just the way how you use

them... But some others are definitely just Dark side Powers...

like Force Lightning...

And I think Jedi Knight games have too many different kind of

force powers... (There should be many but they should be all

different variations of few main powers...) And force powers

are overused... They are too simple...

It's a game. Use what works and have fun doing it.

As far as grip being evil....

In ROTJ, Luke waved his hands at the Gammorean guards in Jabba's palace and they grabbed their throats like they were being gripped/choked. Was Luke evil for doing that?

Simple matter of opinion.

Originally posted by AJL

Most powers are "neutral" and it is just the way how you use

them... But some others are definitely just Dark side Powers...

like Force Lightning...

And I think Jedi Knight games have too many different kind of

force powers... (There should be many but they should be all

different variations of few main powers...) And force powers

are overused... They are too simple...

uh.... :rolleyes:

I have to agree with Dhart, Luke did use force grip when he killed those two gammorean guards, what he did was not evil, it was a matter of defense. As for force lightning, it is no secret the Kyle Katarn uses it, and that does not make him evil. Attacking a helpless individual with lightning is evil, however using at as an assaultive power against enemies is no big deal. Moreover, force drain is definitely evil becuase you are sucking the life out of individual. :emperor::lightning

Originally posted by <-KRT->Dhart

In ROTJ, Luke waved his hands at the Gammorean guards in Jabba's palace and they grabbed their throats like they were being gripped/choked. Was Luke evil for doing that?

I don't think doing that makes him immediately evil guy but

anyway he used his power to crush his enemy which i think

is against the ways of the jedi...

(or old style jedi... how much did Luke learn about the jedi

ways before Obi and Yoda died... ? not much I think...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you guys remember did any JEDI (not Luke) ever use

any "harmful" force directly against some living entity ??

I don't think they did... (They didn't push anyone, they

didn't strangle anyone, they didn't slam peoples on the

walls and such, they didn't use lightning...) I think the

only way they used force directly on living things was

in the Mind tricks...

Anakin used force against some guys (he throw stuff at

them using the force but he never attacked directly with

the force...)

AND didn't Yoda say in EP5 that jedi must Never use

force to attack...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Mono_Giganto

Well if you consider droids to be alive, Qui Gon push-spammed a few battle droids in EP1. :D

Yes they often use force on droids and such... but they ARE

NOT alive, they don't feel pain, they don't think, they are just

machines which follow their programming...

True but sometimes droids/robots develop personalities of thier own, thus making them more human...:greedo:...or whatever. Consider C-3P0. He is always screaming and whatnot. Still, battle droids dont really count I guess. They are all like "roger roger" and such.

Archived