Home

Monkey Island bootscreen

Sorry, I probably should have mentioned that under no circumstances do you delete system files. Infact, before doing anything, set a system restore point, and then go ahead. First, instead of trying to delete it, cut it and then paste it into another folder, making sure you remember or have a good idea of where it is incase you come across a problem and need to move it back. Then cut and paste the new file into it's place and all is ready.

I followed the instructions at http://www.ellopos.net/daedalus/xp-boot.html and now my computer won't boot up anymore!

Can someone install the bootfile to see if it works? It might be corrupt.

EDIT: Well, I looked at the bootscreen along with one from the site I mentioned and the MI one doesn't seem to be corrupt. So,why is my computer unable to boot up?

Go into safe mode and delete that file like it says. If you're lucky it'll restore the old one.

Also note that bootscreen's arent compatible between XP and XP SP1, so if the bootscreen was made in the opposite version to what you have then, to use the technical term 'it no worky'.

like benny said, load it up in start mode and fix it. Just wondering though, you did set a new restore point before doing this didn't you? Like I said? Only messing with your system files can be risky at the best of times and if you did set one, then I suggest restoring to that.

I tried to send the instructions just now to the site, but it got rejected. Sorry, I thought I had the instructions with the file, but maybe I left them out when I repacked it or something.

Anyhow..the best way to install this bootscreen is:

http://www.themexp.org

from there go to the "How to Install" button link thing at the top. Download stylexp, and then install it. Once installed, unzip the contents of the MI zip file there, into the x:\[windowspath]\resources\boot folder. Make sure all the files from the zip file are in a folder of its own, say just cut and paste the outputted unzipped folder to that boot folder , and then once that is done, run stylexp. In style xp just go down to the bootscreen options, and click ok/yes when asked about enabling bootscreens, find the monkey island bootscreen and apply it. Then restart!

I think I fixed it so that under XP home the Might Pirate Edition also displays, but if not it will under the pro version of xp. If it doesnt someone let me know so i can fix it, and this time include some good instructions!!

The other way to change the bootscreen is to edit boot.ini and change the ntsokernel paths. At least with sylexp it does it for you and doesnt screw it up! Emjoy and sorry for any confusion!\

-Erich Weihrauch

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, given that I explained how to do it..please walk me through exactly what you did. That way maybe I can figure out where your at and perhaps why its not working.

with Style XP its easy as heck and you dont even HAVE to unzip stuff you just tell it to add the zip file and it does the rest for you.

Tip: DONT rename it. Also make sure you enabled the bootscreens, etc.

First off, when its unziped. Leave it in a folder like monkeyboot. Leave the files AS IS, DONT RENAME THEM! the system boots ntsokernel not anything else. I dont know if it renames it or whatever but still, dont rename them on your own. Put that folder inside X:\windows\resources\boot\

and leave it there, select it from stylexp and make sure its all enabled, reboot. You SHOULD get a choice of bootscreens to boot with upon rebooting if you did it right. I suggest you try that and see how it works. Perhaps you have an issue with windows xp or something. I dunno. Ive tried it several times on various xp versions, etc.

Are you by chance using sp2?

Archived