Home

What type of music genre is your favorite?!?!

PR-0927

What type of music do you listen to?!?!  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What type of music do you listen to?!?!

• Modern Rock
    • Old Rock
    • Modern & Old Rock
    • Rap
    • Pop
    • Country
    • New R&B
    • Non-American Music
    • Techno
    • Other

What a travesty it is that you didn't put Jazz or Blues on the poll!

In the Jazz genre, I'm partial to Miles Davis, Coltrane, Gillespie, David "Fathead" Newman, Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, etc.... Cool, Bop and Hard Bop being my favorite sub-genres. But I also like most female vocalists, contemporary and traditional: Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday, Diana Krall, Holly Cole, Norah Jones, etc.

In Blues, Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson are undeniably among the best, but I also like Son House, Sonny Boy Williamson, and just about everybody that has the nickname "Blind:" Blind Willie, Blind Lemon, Blind Boy Fuller, etc.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by SkinWalker

What a travesty it is that you didn't put Jazz or Blues on the poll!

In the Jazz genre, I'm partial to Miles Davis, Coltrane, Gillespie, David "Fathead" Newman, Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, etc.... Cool, Bop and Hard Bop being my favorite sub-genres. But I also like most female vocalists, contemporary and traditional: Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday, Diana Krall, Holly Cole, Norah Jones, etc.

In Blues, Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson are undeniably among the best, but I also like Son House, Sonny Boy Williamson, and just about everybody that has the nickname "Blind:" Blind Willie, Blind Lemon, Blind Boy Fuller, etc.

<3

Originally posted by legameboy

Werd.

Sabertooth, were you being sarcastic by any chance? :p

Don't look at me that way, it's hard to tell over the internet. >_>

He's obviously joking...get it? Linkin park...good for walking your dog...you walk your dog in a park...there are trees...and benches...and grass....and birds....yeah.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

He's obviously joking...get it? Linkin park...good for walking your dog...you walk your dog in a park...there are trees...and benches...and grass....and birds....yeah.

Yep, and Linkin' Park-The band can also be paid to walk your dog!

Originally posted by txa1265

They are all sub-genres of rock.

Mike

Then so is pop and punk, and rock would be a sub-genre of blues, and so on...

>>> ;)

I'm sick of finding Cradle Of Filth cds next to Tina Turner, if you know what I mean :barf:

I loves me tina t

metal is so far removed from what most ppl consider to be 'rock' these days, they arnt even remotely related. i love rock, real rock tho, acdc, sabbath, stones, that sort of thing, not the made especially for a quick sale and doing well on mtv rock that is pumped out at a blinding rate by the so called music labels and 'artists' today. older metal bands i think probably tie into the roots of rock alot more. maiden, priest, megadeth, old metallica, anthrax. its thier sound that they have in common i think, that ties them to rock.

stuff from teh same time period, venom, exodus, slayer, all a littl emore edgy, farther removed from rock in general. then you jump ahead a few years to the next big metal explosion and you see it coming from europe/scandinavia. alot of the metal coming out of there has so few roots tied to rock you cant really classify them as similar anymore. I have alot of folk/black metal bands that are a lot more some of the folk singers of old than rock. some like Finntroll base their whole sounds around polka-ish elements. the folk themes come thru, but its still black metal in its purest sense, simply by the vocals and alot of the harmoics.

metal itself isnt rooted as much in rock, as in classical music i think. take a look at alot of the themes and they way many of metallicas early songs are put together, very classicaly influenced. bands like Dimmu Borgir are recording with entire orchestras. so i dont think its entirely correct to call metal a subgenre of rock, its a genre of its own, getting its influences from many sources, rock only one, and only for some of metal.

Originally posted by Pie™

Then so is pop and punk, and rock would be a sub-genre of blues, and so on...

Fine, then separate Rock & Metal, just as you might R&B from Rap/Hip-Hop. But you don't need to separate Gangsta from from East Coast from West Coast from Old Skool from whatever else ...

... my point is, just like Soldier of Fortune II labeled itself as a 'tactical covert-ops shooter' so it wouldn't be seen as just 'FPS', each new rock group with something remotely different seems to want (or its' fan-base does) a new genre.

My basic point is that the goal should be good music, not a 'new' genre.

Originally posted by acdcfanbill

metal itself isnt rooted as much in rock, as in classical music i think. take a look at alot of the themes and they way many of metallicas early songs are put together, very classicaly influenced. bands like Dimmu Borgir are recording with entire orchestras. so i dont think its entirely correct to call metal a subgenre of rock, its a genre of its own, getting its influences from many sources, rock only one, and only for some of metal.

I'm not sure whether to laugh, cry, or hurl.

Of course metal is *based* ENTIRELY in rock music. Saying otherwise is just wrong. Period. Where it has gone since then, and what each new group brings for background and inspiration and influence is an entirely different story.

The Beatles recorded with orchestra, that didn't make them a classical group - they were rock. Wes Montgomery and Miles Davis and so on recorded with Orchestras ... they are still jazz.

Mike

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

metals roots were tied more so in classical music than regular ol' rock. I tend to agree.

OK, let me see if I misunderstand or if you are musically 'challenged'.

You are saying that the basis of current heavy metal has nothing to do with the development chain starting with the Yardbirds and the Who, branching through the Jeff Beck group with Rod Stewart, then to Blue Cheer and Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath, through groups in the 70's and 80's such as Blue Oyster Cult, Iron Maiden and then like Metallica and Anthrax to newer stuff ...

... but is ties instead with the contrapuntal work of Bach, Vivaldi and Mozart, or Schoenberg's structural functionalism, or Cage's exploration of tonal variance, or Reich's minimalism?

Let me see - most metal I know or have heard features musical backing in support of a vocal front that utilizes AABA song structures, uses a typical drum pattern for rhythmic purposes, electric bass for chordal foundations and occasional harmonic support (e.g. wildly talented people like Billy Sheehan), and one or two guitarists playing some combination of simple I-IV-V chords and pentatonic meoldies. Am I missing something?

Perhaps you should link me over to some sites that feature samples I could listen to, perhaps with transcriptions I could study to better understand the music. (in all seriousness - I'm not being snide)

This is not to put down metal, as many would do. Incorporating stylistic elements from other genres is a great way of expanding the sonic palette - something that is in sorely short supply in the popular realms. But claiming that metal music has Classical rather than Rock parentage ...

Mike

Well, maybe I should rephrase my statement. The metal I listen to, and grew up listening to, has roots in classical music. That's not to say rock had nothing to do with how it sounds. But I don't think it's very fair to say anything that has a guy with long hair playing a guitar that's running through some kind or distortion pedal or processor is just a product or derivitive of rock solely.

I base most of what I say on chord progressions, scales done in solos and fill ins, and odd timing measures that I find in current metal that I enjoy. Which is to say metal that isn't getting played to death on the radio. Actually, if I could think of one person to point to that might be responsible for the direction metal has taken as far as being technically challenging, I'd have to point to Yngwie Malmsteen. As much as I hate the guys work, and even more so his attitude, his take on playing classical style scales in metal music spawned the enitre shreading craze in the late 80's-early 90's, and took the art of playing metal guitar to a completely new level. I'm not into the whole shreading thing myself. But as for a couple modern bands that I think do a great job of playing techically challlenging metal without shredding (which I think is the coolest form metal has taken on) I'd suggest listening to Meshuggah-Destroy Erase Improve, or ANYTHING by The Dillenger Escape Plan.

[EDIT] I'm about to head off to work, so I don't really have the time, but when I get home I'll look up the sheet music or tabs for those bands if you're still interested.

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

[EDIT] I'm about to head off to work, so I don't really have the time, but when I get home I'll look up the sheet music or tabs for those bands if you're still interested.

Absolutely - hey I was serious about wanting to discuss. I'm a lover of music of (almost ;) ) all types, and of skilled musicians everywhere. Yngwie Malmsteen is a very talented person, I've heard some stuff, but since I'm more of a jazz-head, not too much. Steve Vai did lots of wild shredding stuff as well ...

Mike

Well, I was hoping to find the sheet music for a Dillenger Escape Plan song, but it took quite a while just to run across this: http://www.tabmall.com/cgi-bin/gtabs.cgi?get&/d/dillinger_escape_plan/the_mullet_burden.txt

I wish it gave an exact account of the song, and that you could actually hear it. These guys are crazy. Funny you should mention liking jazz, because while I wouldn't by any means call these guys some jazz metal fusion, it reminds me of jazz in that to the untrained ear, it sounds like it's just random and thrown together when in actuality, it's very precise.

Here's another song called 43% Burnt, which I think is one of the meanest sounding things ever put to record. The guitar, bass, and drums all do some pretty phenominal things in this song. Once again, not jazz, but definately a hint of that eratic almost nonsense sound. http://www.tabmall.com/cgi-bin/gtabs.cgi?get&/d/dillinger_escape_plan/43_burnt.txt

I didn't look for Meshuggah sheet music or tabs, because...well, I didn't want to sit here all night doing this. But I thought it was cool the guy that transcribed the DEP songs has meshuggah in his email address. Anyhow, later.

Originally posted by txa1265

OK, let me see if I misunderstand or if you are musically 'challenged'.

You are saying that the basis of current heavy metal has nothing to do with the development chain starting with the Yardbirds and the Who, branching through the Jeff Beck group with Rod Stewart, then to Blue Cheer and Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath, through groups in the 70's and 80's such as Blue Oyster Cult, Iron Maiden and then like Metallica and Anthrax to newer stuff ...

... but is ties instead with the contrapuntal work of Bach, Vivaldi and Mozart, or Schoenberg's structural functionalism, or Cage's exploration of tonal variance, or Reich's minimalism?

Let me see - most metal I know or have heard features musical backing in support of a vocal front that utilizes AABA song structures, uses a typical drum pattern for rhythmic purposes, electric bass for chordal foundations and occasional harmonic support (e.g. wildly talented people like Billy Sheehan), and one or two guitarists playing some combination of simple I-IV-V chords and pentatonic meoldies. Am I missing something?

Perhaps you should link me over to some sites that feature samples I could listen to, perhaps with transcriptions I could study to better understand the music. (in all seriousness - I'm not being snide)

This is not to put down metal, as many would do. Incorporating stylistic elements from other genres is a great way of expanding the sonic palette - something that is in sorely short supply in the popular realms. But claiming that metal music has Classical rather than Rock parentage ...

Mike

Well, you might be an old geezer who knows everything, but there's one thing I can do that you can't...

I can spell Led Zeppelin! :D

Uh, yeah, sorry, I'm challenged :-|

Archived