Home

WTF of the Week

Troopr-Undr-Fir

Are you violent from video games and television programming?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Are you violent from video games and television programming?

• No...only on days that end in Y...
    • No
    • HA HA HA! peanut butter!
    • and the infamous YODA!

I was whatching the news last night and, this segment caught my attention.

It was about the government trying pass a bill for a 90 million dollar research program.

You say "so?", but heres the thing. It is a research program to see if kids become violent after playing video games or whatching violent shows on television.

So I'm like, "WTF! 90 million for something that I am proof for!"

I have been whatching and playing violent entertainment since I was in elementary school. An I am in no way violent.

I also know that most here are proof also.

So that is my WTF!

sorry there is no link, I was trying to find one, but came up empty.

and I am leaving for work soon. So if someone saw this last night also, mehbeh they could post a link.

thanks

I guess you're smart enough not to be affected by it. You see, smart people see the difference. They see: 'It would hurt! and even worse: that guy could've had a family! Good thing this is a game!' Then there are Retards. They see: 'Duhduhduh! Looky uzi! OMG look at all that blood i want to try that too!' And that's the difference.

I played GTA like for the better half of last year, and was in no way compelled to pick up a hooker, and for no reason kill her, or run over someone, or drive a car into the water, or anything like that.

Dumb people suck.

I'm 12... and I've played and own Grand Theft Auto 3, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Max Payne, Max Payne 2, Far Cry, Half-life, and Medal of Honor: Allied Assault since I was 10 (in the order that those came out)...

...I'm not too fond of guns (Well, using them to kill stuff anyway, I love target practice!) and I have never aggressively struck someone in any way, shape, or form.

I live a normal life, work during the summer, have a modelling hobby, two kittens (Well, I will soon.), a dog, and I have a great relationship with my family, my God, and my fellow peers.

That should prove their point to be... moot.

I don't see why the government should invest in research to prove that video games cause violence. Instead, they should use that money to, improve public schools, lower drug traffic, lower alcohol abuse, and improve crime fighting.

Why are they waisting their time on something that is used for entertainment and sheer enjoyment?

Unfortunately, they will use their study to deduce whatever they want. They'll study a certain type of person, rather than collecting info from a wide range of types. Chances are, they ask the violent kids, "Have you played violent games?" The kids will probably answer, "Yes." The reason they answer this way is not because these games made them the way they are, but because any normal kid plays this kind of game.

In other words,

What a waste of $90 million dollars

Thanks to Poggle for that quote.

Originally posted by Kain

And now, a message from classic Kain:

*banging*

*head*

*on*

*keyboard*

That sounds a lot like Strong Bad, too... :D

and anyone who believes that watching violent shows & playing violent video games causes people to be violet is stupid...I've been doing both for most of my life and I'm fine. And anyone who wants to comment on my metal state...I'LL KILL THEM!! Lemme just use the all weapons cheat...

Its a waste of money.

Video games do change you. After you've just played 2 hours of halo and you step outside. See how you feel when you see something that pisses you off.

Seriously.

I was at the mall and they had the classic duck hunt game on display and I shot down all the birds without thinking.

I made a thread just like this awile ago :D

I first played UT when I was 9.

M rated games I have played: UT - Unreal - UT 2003 - UT 2004 - Halo - Soilder of Fortune 2 - RtCW - Metal Gear Solid 2 - Rainbow Six 3 - Ghost Recon - Far Cry. To name a few. Today, I was reserving Halo 2, and a 11 year old kid in front of me reserved it to. :p

TiE

The people running the study should remember, there was violence and killing before the '80s. It's just a way the people that decided to have that study done to kill something they think is bad, merely because they've never played them, probably thinking them stupid or somehow below them. The fools. :p

They should just give ME 90 million dollars and I'll tell them the answer. Kids that have crappy parents and are probably insane anyways will be affected by violent video games/ movies. They'll also be affected by violent STORIES or NEWS REPORTS.

Sane kids with a healthy understanding of imaginary and real things will not be affected.

And with the 90 million dollars I could buy a LOT of video games :D

my parents say that i'm pissy after playing 007 :¬:

The thing that I like about, for example, GTAVC, is that I can just walk up to someone, cool and calm, and then whip out a katana and slice their head off. This is especially helpful when I am pissed. Instead of yelling at my parents and being in a general pissy mood all day, I go over to my friends house, turn on GTAVC, flip on weapons cheat, and walk up to someone, cool and calm, and then whip out a katana, and slice their head off.

But I know better than to just do that in real life. Anyone that doesn't is a freaking moron.

'Nuff said.

They should just give ME 90 million dollars and I'll tell them the answer. Kids that have crappy parents and are probably insane anyways will be affected by violent video games/ movies. They'll also be affected by violent STORIES or NEWS REPORTS.

Heh... We had a dumb kid at school, didn't study, stayed home for weeks with aproval of his parents, nad then when he officially wasn't allowed to go to school anymore, he tried to burn it with everyone still in it. And he was always talking about violent games at school. His parents spoiled him, and that made him think he could do anything. He was a very violent kid, and never even made it to high school becasue he didn't finish his uhm... base school (I forgot the english word) So there's an example of DUMB people getting violent after playing too much violent games...

The might as well research if people get bored when hanging out with you guys all day on the internet.

EDIT: And then another thing :Basically, this is a luxury problem. People playing so much games that their mind get's affected by it, must mean they have lot's of money to buy them, and lot's of free time to play them. A luxury problem... while poor children in africa are starving, they're going to invest $90.000.000,- in a stupid project researching a luxury poblem that only hits dumb and insane people!

Originally posted by Doomgiver

Heh... We had a dumb kid at school, didn't study, stayed home for weeks with aproval of his parents, nad then when he officially wasn't allowed to go to school anymore, he tried to burn it with everyone still in it. And he was always talking about violent games at school. His parents spoiled him, and that made him think he could do anything. He was a very violent kid, and never even made it to high school becasue he didn't finish his uhm... base school (I forgot the english word) So there's an example of DUMB people getting violent after playing too much violent games...

The might as well research if people get bored when hanging out with you guys all day on the internet.

EDIT: And then another thing :Basically, this is a luxury problem. People playing so much games that their mind get's affected by it, must mean they have lot's of money to buy them, and lot's of free time to play them. A luxury problem... while poor children in africa are starving, they're going to invest $90.000.000,- in a stupid project researching a luxury poblem that only hits dumb and insane people!

*claps*

1. One Weird Kid, wasn't he? *drops flamethrower*

2. It is already researched. 90% of the people who come here everyday turned out to be brainless zombies. 10% were brainless bugs.

3. Good point. Charity is what is needed. What those scientists need to find out is, how to make those poor kids get money.

Originally posted by Doomgiver

he didn't finish his uhm... base school (I forgot the english word)

Elementary school? Middle School, maybe?

Pretty sad story. A little while ago someone sprayed graffitti on the bathroom wall that said "Bomb the school" and a date, apparently when it'll happen...the date hasn't come yet either...:\

Archived