Home

For anyone who knows a thing or two about Intel Pentium Processors

Reborn Outcast

What is the difference between the Intel Pentium M processors (1.50 GHz, 1.60 GHz, 1.70 GHz) and the Intel Pentium 4 processors (2.80 GHz, 3.00 GHz, 3.20 GHz, 3.40 GHz).

I'm thinking about getting a laptop and I want to be able to use it anywhere (with the Intel Centrino Mobile Technology) and have it be lightweight, but also powerful (for games). However, only the laptops with the "M" processors have the Centrino Mobile Technology. This leads me to my question.

Does anyone know what the comparison between the "M" processors and the Pentium 4 processors are? Am I able to get the "M" processor with wireless technology and still be able to play advanced games such as KOTOR or some of the new games coming out, or would I have to get a heavier, non-Centrino Technology, Pentium 4 processor computer?

I guess what I'm asking is what is the difference between an "M" 1.70 GHz processor and a "Pentium 4" 2.80 GHz processor? Is the "M" just as powerful as the regular Pentium 4, just with a different name? Or would I have to sacrifice over 1 GHz if I wanted to get the Mobile Technology?

I believe the "M" stands for 'Mobile', that is, for use in laptops. As for CPU clock speeds, they don't really show the power of the CPU except in vague way. What one may handle easily another may gag on, so to speak, even though the latter's clock speed is higher. Check a few of the contrast reviews at Anandtech.com and Tomshardware.com, and you'll begin to see what I'm talking about.

The "M" designation has something to do with battery efficiency and heat output, supposedly being better at both than a standard Pentium. I think it does this by underclocking the chip at certain times to save power and stay cool.

In general, a Pentium (no "M") is a more powerful chip since it doesn't ever try to be efficient... but then you end up with a hot, heavy, battery-sapping laptop. Not a problem if you are using it as a desktop replacement and not a true portable.

If you are planning on a gaming machine I think you would generally want to stay away from the "M" chips.

Archived