Home

Jedi knight based on tele series or something?

yangyan

I found this on the star wars databank and it showed a picture of a real person.

Kyle Katarn was an elite Rebel agent entrusted with some of the most crucial missions of the Rebel Alliance. It was Katarn that single-handedly infiltrated an Imperial installation on Danuta, securing the technical plans of the Empire's Death Star battle station.

A former Imperial, Katarn was born on the Sullustan colony moon of Sulon, living a simple existence as a farmer with his father Morgan. Unaware of his father's Rebel sympathies, Kyle joined the Imperial Academy at Carida. He was indoctrinated and became a decorated Imperial trooper.

While in the Academy, Kyle's father was killed. Official records indicated that the elder Katarn had been murdered by Rebel dissidents. Kyle learned the truth, however, from a Rebel agent named Jan Ors. His father was killed by the Empire for treason. Disgusted with the institution he had joined, Kyle discarded his badges and merits, and cast away his Imperial trappings. He resolved to join the Rebellion.

Kyle became a highly capable and recommended Rebel agent, vouched for by the respected Jan Ors. Kyle drew the attention of no less than Mon Mothma, leader of the Alliance. She entrusted Katarn with that fateful mission to Danuta, and after the Battle of Yavin, Katarn was instrumental in quelling the threat of the Imperial dark trooper project.

Returning to Sulon, Kyle learned that his father had been aiding a refugee effort on the barren world of Ruusan. Morgan had discovered ancient ruins on Ruusan pointing the way to the Valley of the Jedi, the fabled battleground between the ancient Jedi and Sith. The Valley represented a great focal point of energy that if exploited could turn the tide in the perpetual battle between light and dark. Kyle knew that the location of the Valley should never fall into Imperial hands.

Others were already on the path to discovering the Valley, however. The Dark Jedi Jerec and his six henchmen, Gorc, Pic, Maw, Sariss, Boc and Yun, were determined to seize the nexus of power. One by one, Katarn defeated them, though in his aggressive strikes, he came dangerously close to succumbing to the dark side of the Force.

Deep in the Valley of the Jedi, Kyle confronted Jerec, the very man who had killed Morgan Katarn. The two did battle, and when Kyle slew Jerec, he fulfilled an ancient prophecy. The spirits of long-dead Jedi, trapped in the Valley for a thousand years, were finally freed. With this energy unleashed, the Valley of the Jedi's worth as a weapon was effectively eliminated.

Long used to operating independently, Katarn at first refused Luke Skywalker's offer to become a Jedi apprentice. Instead, he continued to serve the Alliance, now the New Republic, on many important missions. After a troubling run-in with the dark side on the forgotten Sith world of Dromund Kaas, Katarn conceded that he would benefit from Skywalker's tutelage, and joined the Jedi Master's fledgling Jedi academy.

Kyle is human male with rugged good looks and an athletic build. He brandishes a green-bladed lightsaber, though he has been known to have access to a veritable arsenal of personal weaponry. He often travels with Jan Ors aboard the battered starship, the Moldy Crow.

Dark Forces and Jedi Knight Dark Forces II was comic books and novels way before the game came out. All the cut scenes in JK Df2 where filmed in real life. I wish they would start doing it again with the series. Most people around here came from the JK/MotS era of games.

Originally posted by legameboy

I wish I could play JK: DF2.

I came in late, when JKII was released.

Would JK: DF2 work on Windows XP? :p

JK and MotS work great, and have pretty modest requirements. My 'work supplied' ultra-portable has JK & MotS installed, you just have to shortcut directly to the game executable.

I have three pieces for you on JK & MotS:

- Buy them.

- Play them.

- Love them.

Mike

As Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 held every cut-scene with real actors, as it was the big hit and the Lucasart's had placed big sum of money into making it. It Was made with an idea, that either the game and cut-scenes ruled, the game ruled or the cut-scenes ruled. And if you didn't buy it, you hated yourself for it. It was obvious that it would have a sequel.

As MotS was made with a little higher sum of money, it was allso made better to play, a little harder as the AI had an upgrade and so it allso had to have some minor people. At this, Lucasarts was in a thight place. It propably had a crushive dead-line and so they hadn't time for real cut-scenes, and so they just animated them and put some voice actors.

I don't know what's the other JK-games are, but still...

I know, I know, I got away from the topic, but I don't care...

Have fun(Trying to think what I meant)

Originally posted by sabretooth

Fixed :)

*AHEM*

Don't f*ck with my quote ;)

You *should* be able to find them, and there are few problems playing them on just about any modern system (I've installed them on ~8 computers over the last several years)

As for the reference to one of my favorite all-time games, Jedi Academy ... leave it alone. I like JKII and JA *better* than JK/MotS based primarily on gameplay and the integration of the lightsaber and Jedi life into the story.

Mike

Ahem... History of the Jedi Knight Series

Dark Forces

Dark Forces II Jedi Knight

Mysteries of the Sith

Jedi Outcast

Jedi Academy

There has been a great change from DF to JA. I personally love all the titles especially JK and MotS, cause thats where I started out. Ah the golden days of the past. Looking back I would never would have guess what all that we can do now in Outcast and Academy. I hope the series continues to grow.

Dark Forces was my first real game. I was like 5 and I was playing it

----------------------------

1995:

I still remember the cheat codes:

Invincible: LA IMLAME (Took me a long time to fiqure out what it meant :p)

Fast Shooting: LA POSTAL

Well, those are the one I still remember.

Damn, I wish I still had my strategey guide

:D

-----------------------------

1997:

I got Jedi Knight in '97, It was the first game I "wanted" :p

------------------------------

1998:

Didn't get MotS

2002:

Preordered JK2, played it for along time. but when I got a new comp, the disc was to beat up, and I couldn't install it.

Late Winter 2003:

I have no idea why Im still at the forums. So I leave cause of my slow internet

Summer 2003:

JA releases, wasn't interested cause I heard it didn't have much to do with Kyle Katarn (Come back to post a few)

-------------------------------

Fall 2003:

I move, get cable, reach 1000 posts.

-------------------------------

Today:

I got 1700+ posts now :D

I liked the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series cause my name is Kyle, too. :D

TiE

Well, I believe I was 9 when I first received DF as a christmas gift. It didn't really catch my attention, but yeah, it was good. A little bit challenging, but it's definitely worth the money. I can remember a couple of the codes, as well, such as LA REDLITE and LA POGO.

When DF2: Jedi Knight came out...........now that's when the series caught my eye! :cool:

Good times, they were......

he he ...funny that dudes on a jediknight forum dont even know about JKI and MotS.... :p

anyways, I had great times back then, and the cutscenes were awesome.... in MoTs you get to play as Mara Jade ! :)

I have a bit of trouble playing them now, nothing to do with compatibility, just interest, but they run in xp fine :D (even without having to invoke 'compatibility mode')

Have fun !

Originally posted by yangyan

i cant be bothered doing a quote, but what the heck is the point of using real actors? like the background would be all different

i wish i played dark forces, any ideas where to download :)

i do worry about the kids of today... sigh. :rolleyes:

Maybe i can explain it, hmm, lets see...

In the OLD DAYS when computers were beige and had these strange slots in the front for things called "floppy disks" (even though they weren't floppy, but that is in the prequel) computer graphics were less advanced than they are today.

While the ancient gamers of this time could understand these primitive graphics in terms of gameplay, it was hard to convey stories, characterisation, emotion and so on with avatars made of only a few polygons and pixels. This meant that ALMOST ALL GAMES used cutscenes that were not rendered with the ingame graphics engine!! *gasps from baby ewoks and tiny yangyan*

Many games didn't bother with cutscenes at all (doom, quake), some had text that explained the story(warcraft 2), others used more abstract drawn and cartoon style static images (SotE), the most advanced games used some newfangled technology called "video" and real actors (DF2:JK, C&C) combined with pre-rendered cgi.

It was a dark time, before the GeForce came....

-----

Anyways, the cut scenes in the original JK were filmed because the characters were too low poly to properly tell the story. On the whole the cutscenes were pretty good and pretty well acted, the cgi was pretty good, and the story was much better told than the minimal-to-none-existant story told by a few teethy heads in JK2:JO.

In the odd place there were limitations though, mainly the head of the alien in the first scene, who didn't move the lips on his rubber mask. I only noticed it the third time round though.

JK is an all time classic game, that is IMHO (sorry txa1265:D ) leagues ahead of JO (never got around to picking up JA as JO put me off the whole thing). The story is much better, much more involving. The graphics may be simpler, but they capture the scale and feel of the universe better, the advancement and choice of destinies is much more fun, the weapons are much more varied and interesting. Multiplayer isn't as polished though, but then that wasn't as big a thing back in the old days...:D

They actually used in game cutscenes for the MotS expansion pack (we used to get those from lucasarts back then, infact lucasarts actually had a good reputation back then, as did SW games in general). In some ways it kept you in the action more, but the engine was so limited that they couldn't really tell the story, and it was basically just a few low poly models waying their arms around.

So no, it wasn't a tv series.... although there was a SW tv series back then which followed the adventures of han solo before he left the imerial navy. really. :D:rolleyes:

Originally posted by toms

JK is an all time classic game,

No argument there ... JK *IS* an all-time classic. It also came out >4 years before JKII. So there are natural advancements in technology and gameplay. I love JK, and its' cutscenes.

Mike

Archived