Home

I, Robot

Darth Groovy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW guys...I've heard complaints about the title.....

and I did a lil snooping around and found this...

The Alan Parsons Project

I Robot

This album was originally released by Arista Records in 1977.

From the album notes:

I Robot...

The story of the rise of machine and the decline of man,

which paradoxically coincided with his discovery of the wheel...

And a warning that his brief dominance of this planet will

probably end, because man tried to create robot in his own image.

I Robot instrumental (6:02)

http://www.theavenueonline.info/site1/discog/i-robot.htm

Interesting?

yeh, the name is based on a song, right!

:rolleyes: sheesh:rolleyes: with this and the "games used to have actors in cutscenes???" thread i am starting to fdeel that the world has gone down the pan...:eek:

I'd assumed this would suck too (like everyone else by the sound of it). Alex proyas (?) might have been able to pull it off, as his other work wasn't bad.... but i assume it is quite good as "dumb, wisecracking summer action movies go" not quite good as highly intelligent and groundbreaking sci-fi movies go.

I don't understand why they named it after i, robot at all... it has nothing to do with it, the people who recognise the name only assume it will suck cos it isn't like the book, the people who don't recognise the name get no benefit.

All it has done is prove the shocking state of literacy in america...

WHy not just call is Bad Robo-hunter boyz and play to your audience...?:confused:

Critics appear to agree that I, Robot, starring Will Smith, is a serviceable summer film to accompany a large tub of popcorn, but little else. Philip Wuntch in the Dallas Morning News comments: "I, Robot is yet another summer entree in which good intentions are stymied by excessive bric-a-brac. But you'll still enjoy the robots on parade." Ty Burr in the Boston Globe remarks that Isaac Asimov's 1950 short story collection "has been remixed and remodeled into a stylish, watchable, very familiar future-cop action thriller. What was once original is now almost completely derivative." Joe Morgenstern in the Wall Street Journal remarks that the movie "is impressive for Patrick Tatopoulos's production design but depressive for the juiceless story." Carrie Rickey in the Philadelphia Inquirer similarly remarks: "While I enjoyed its look and Smith's charisma, [director Alex] Proyas' film is long on flash but short on resonance." Several critics suggest that the movie has a lot in common with the robots it depicts. Rick Groen in the Toronto Globe and Mail describes it as: "A movie of its kind and of its time -- functional, professional, slickly manufactured and slouching toward consciousness -- I, Robot is a perfect slave to mechanical convention." And A.O. Smith in the New York Times observes: "This kind of movie presents a troubling paradox, since it is an example of the very phenomenon it purports to warn against. Dramatizing the threat of runaway technology seems to demand ever greater technological innovation, as digitized special effects increasingly push human beings off screen."

from imdb

Originally posted by toms

I don't understand why they named it after i, robot at all...

Actually it might be brilliant - because the initial interest is very high with people who like Asimov's stuff (like me) who see the trailers and think 'this is crap' and therefore the critical basis drops way down. Meantime, the average 'pop movie' viewer sees the trailers and thinks 'ooohhh, aaahhh' and then sees opinions of 'those clever readers' (*) and dismisses it as pseudointellectual rubbish by losers who read. Critics see it and think, hey, Asimov it isn't, but it isn't a bad ride, and give it decent scores.

And that, boys and girls, is how mediocre movies with low expectations score better than good movies with outrageous expectations.

Mike

(* anyone catch the Pooh Quote? ;) )

Synopsis:

Asimov: "Let's explore the moral complexities around

creating a self-aware machine intelligence in our own image, then treating it like a slave or second-class citizen."

Hollywood: "Let's make a film about the moral compl... just kidding! Let's make a film about WH3N R0B0TZ 4TT4CK!!!!!1!"

Other thoughts:

- Asimov didn't write about an 'evil computer', in fact there were no villians as such in the I, Robot stories.

- The movie plays like this was the process:

1. Write a sci-fi robots-run-amok script completely and totally unrelated

to anything Asimov ever wrote.

2. Acquire the rights to the Asimov library.

3. Drop a few details from the Asimov library into the previously-written,

totally unrelated script, change the title, and advertise it as being

based on a famous book.

Mike

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

..... surely this movie cant be as cool and classy as Blade Runner, also featuring killer humanoid robots ... :p anyone remember that ?

*walks out like old fogey*

FINALLY, a movie we can agree on. Yes i've seen it, I own it, and I love it! Although these movies have somewhat similar concepts, neither movie can be considered a duplicate of the other.

Originally posted by txa1265

Synopsis:

Asimov: "Let's explore the moral complexities around

creating a self-aware machine intelligence in our own image, then treating it like a slave or second-class citizen."

Hollywood: "Let's make a film about the moral compl... just kidding! Let's make a film about WH3N R0B0TZ 4TT4CK!!!!!1!"

Other thoughts:

- Asimov didn't write about an 'evil computer', in fact there were no villians as such in the I, Robot stories.

- The movie plays like this was the process:

1. Write a sci-fi robots-run-amok script completely and totally unrelated

to anything Asimov ever wrote.

2. Acquire the rights to the Asimov library.

3. Drop a few details from the Asimov library into the previously-written,

totally unrelated script, change the title, and advertise it as being

based on a famous book.

Mike

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Read the book, guys. I read it when I was in 6th grade, and then again in 9th, and I may read it again this summer. :cool:

Archived