Home

coders for far cry Star wars mod

Hi, I was wondering whether anyone would like to help in craeting animations for Jedi timeline a far cry star wars TC this open source project looks like it could be reworked with little effort to run in far cry for saber combat. Lucas and co. released there animations to the public for mods. Would anyone be willing to look into joining the team imagine jedi combat in a great engine like far cry. Thanks for your time

Jedi Timeline is the web page check it out.

I've heard of it but I'm not interested.

The shear amount of work it would take to port the saber system to Far Cry would be insane for a mod (read, free) project and would be very likely to get you in trouble with LucasLegal since everything is based on Raven's JKA code.

Secondly, I don't see you on their staff listing.

One, Insane is what the UT2K3 Troopers mod was called but a group of people did it. Yes it would be some work but think about what the results would be. The Quake 3A Engine was on it's last legs despite some clever upgrades when JK2 came out, (YES you can put a turbo on a model T). The star wars community deserves a better engine to drive it's "universe". Maybe a Jedi mod (or TC) for Republic Commando would be a better idea.

Two, I didn't say I was in a position to offer you or anyone a spot on that team did I

The first thing I did when I heard about this mod (Or in this case a TC (Total Conversion) was to call and ask about Lightsaber combat (After reading the call for contributions) and I got a big Yes. They know what thay are getting into. So any help I can offer (including asking around the Star Wars community about talent to help) I will do

First off, Troopers doesn't have lightsaber combat. That makes things quite a bit easier.

Just because something is planned doesn't mean its going to happen. There are many examples of this thruout the modding community. In addition, Timeline's plans are extremely vague and very broad. It sounds very much like a "OMG! We're going to do everything Star Wars!" project. The fact that they want to do this on two seperate engines is also suspect.

An engine doesn't make or break the game, the game does. While it's nice to have the better features of newer engines, it doesn't mean the game is going to be any good.

Are you aware that you're posting under a different account?

And, finally, please don't headhunt on other mod's forums. It's rude and not conductive to a happy modding community, especially when you're not even on the mod's staff.

First off all projects begin with vague plans, without them (and goals) no one would go anywhere. If you think it is impossible, fine.. we would all be playing games on the first game engine YOU ever played on and that would be it, no advancement ever.

Second gameplay IS dependent on the engine (with the possible exception of the old asteroids game) so go try to play anything on the original doom engine (if you are willing the call it that) Your statement is just plain wrong. If we were limited to the same old tired game engine this pastime of ours would die. (I guess would would all gravitate to endless flamming each other on the forums). Oh yes I know. I guess you don't travel around much in the modding community I see people all the time asking questions of other people from different sites about how to do this and asking for help. It is one of the better things about modders and this pastime people actually offer time and expertise as well as donating their work for everyone to enjoy. If you don't like my asking others in the Star Wars modding community about possibly working on another project that will improve our star war's gaming oh well. But it's not rude, if I were tring to "con" people into working on a project for my profit then I would agree with you. The first chance i would get I would suggest to others to check this site out, maybe they have something to offer(free of charge) It sounds like you're not comfortable with people networking for a common goal sorry. If that's the case it explains a lot just pretend that I didn"t post this and think that you got the last word.

For all other readers I'm sorry you have to read this duet. This project sound like it will add greatly to the game, which I still play and map. good luke (pun hehehe). I'll stop in often.(sorry razorace)

The existance of Duke3D diminstrates my point. Duke3D was better than Quake (with its vastly superior engine). Anyway, I never stated that advancement isn't a good thing or not nessicary. It's just that trying to plug something based solely on its engine is a bad idea.

And I have no problem with community cooperation, it's the fact that you decided to attempt to headhunt individuals from the project by posting for individual help in this thread that bugs me.

There's really no need to get nasty here. I'm the moderator, I could get the final word anytime I want. However, I won't because I don't like it when moderators cut off threads in mid discussion.

Finally, please use paragraphs. It makes things WAY easier to read.

..Or buy the damn mod once its out.... :D

Just curious, but shouldn't you post this on the lucas modding forum instead of OJP's??

And I really dont see melee combat as a strong point of the far cry engine... it'll be a bit of a waste to have all that advance physics and huge terrian just so two jedi can fight in one small area (how much space do u need for close combat??) and with little need of that advance physics (how would a body move realistically when it gets hit by a beam of light..??)

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

today's a gray day

Icelander( my modeler ) 's pc is dead, so we lost all of the modeling stuff for the future 0.1.5 version of our mod, The Last Hope ( with a cinematic ). So we are a little tired about JKA modding and we'll try now or UT2k4, or Far Cry modding, and the first thing im going to do, is a mod which include lightsabers. But also i prefer keep being independeant of Jedi Timeline, because my english is not really good and i want to begin by only this feature

Sorry Razorace for the Coop and the blades, but im not sure im about to have enough time and motivation to help you. So good luck for your really interestings projects, i ll certainely keep being informed because im still interested by the Coop feature and i hope your work will succeed

Archived