Home

Wip: Endor

lauser

awww now you're doing the same part of Endor I'm doing ...

Just remmeber that redwoods were really tall trees. Yours are so tiny like a normal pine.

It should look something like this from the ground:

redwood1.jpg

I'll post some new screenshots anytime soon in my Endor Thread.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130407

It's just that I was 2 weeks on vacation and got lots of other stuff to do in MB2 right now.

But well nice work !

Originally posted by lauser

Woot woot! Sounds good Scout. :D

At the landing pad area of my map I have a tree. This tree will probably be the biggest entity model EVER put into a map. It's 2906 units in height. A player is 56 units in height. So if we take the player height as 56 or 5' 6" the the trees height will be 2906 or 291 ft high! WOOT! :p

This isn't big enough Pahricida? I mean you can see it in the screenshot of the landing pad on the left side there..just barely. You will NEVER see models that big anywhere at anytime!

Your trees look a little sparse in the branch areas. They need more foliage and they need to be bigger at the bottom. I think your polycount may be a bit high also. You have branches all over your model which will bring that up. Are they very simple?

Looks like the battle of the Endor mod's has begun!

Just keep it civilised gents:D

Both looking good as well.

Lauser, have you considered making a skybox made in Terragen rather than using a sky portal?

That should save you some FPS to use in other areas of the map, such as the Ewok village.

Also, is it one big map - i.e. is the Ewok village and the landing pad in the same map? I hope you've got some speeder bikes or my Jedi PC is going to get knackered walking all that way:)

Also, I know in the film the Endor battle is set on a nice sunny day, but if the map is huge, and you've got a lot of detail, have you considered using a foghull for distance culling?

That should speed the map up even more.

Fog will be added last there Codja. My skyportal is just amazing actually. What I did was I REmade the terrain model from RAVEN and added my trees to it. The whole model is ground/terrain with trees growing out of it. So now I have a fully integrated background complete with trees. Next screenshot I upload you will see them. Polycount is a little high but no more than a player model. So the portal_sky takes maybe 4 of my frames. Not bad at all considering what it gives me. A never ending foreground! I just love it. Not only is the foregound blending in but, the trees are there making it 3D instead of just a painting in Lightwave or 3DS max. So when you move you get another side of the tree. Granted I can't put anymore trees in there than about 40. But still looks cool.

Now outside the sky_portal is my terragen box. I'm actually redoing that as the sun is too low in the sky and I forgot to add the deathstar :p

Yes it's one big map. But NO where near the size of Kamino. That's just plain silliness. I want the BSP size under 50,000 thanks. The forested area allows you to ride the speeder bikes a fair distance. The problem with this is it's just hell navigating amoungst all those dam trees...LOL You can do it but I don't find it that much fun. There are MANY other things to do in this map besides riding a speeder. ;)

Can you jump from tree to tree and branch to branch?

While the Stormtrooper's are scouting the ground below, you're jumping and crawling throught the branches like a ninja jedi assasin, waiting to strike!

How cool would it be to have a lightsaber fight in the treetops, very much like between Anakin and Asajj Ventress in ep xvii of the clone wars?

sorry didn't see how tall they were ...

My tree has got 640 Faces and well maybe that is a little high but it's just the high detail model I've got about 6 different trees each with less faces.

And the branches are just 16 Faces each.

And I just tried to keep it as accurate as possible.

schemeredwood.gif

Originally posted by {xg}darthVADER

do you have any screenshots of the backdoor bunker?

i'd like to see how you pulled that one off

Yes I do have screenshots but they are too dark....sorry about that. You will have to wait for the next version screens. I hope to have some up today or tomorrow of the inside areas.

Pahricida...that tree looks good from where I'm looking. But my trees only have about 220 faces or less. I only have 2 models. One is a WestCoast CEDAR and one is a WestCoast FIR

I just rotate my models in Radiant. I was going to make more but found they are buggy anough as it is. I sure could use some help on my CEDAR tree model. Ingame it has some Z fighting. Looks really bad too. It's ONLY the branches that do it too. In Milkshape I can't find any errors. ONLY ingame. :confused:

Oh..also, since I grew up around the trees they used in the movie, (I'm from the WESTCOAST) my accuracy is DEAD on.... ;)

Pahricida...I think we should trade up models! I'll put yours in mine and you put...UGH...that sounds nasty...rofl!

Let's just say we should try each model out in each map. Let's see...you on MSN much? I havn't seen you on in quite some time now. Let's trade tree models.... :D

Here is the screenshot (TEST MAP) of the new sky_portal. You will see the terrain and the trees here. Both are part of the same model with no loss in performance. If I had added my tree models seperately to the terrain then yes it would eat quite a bit of my framerate.

shot0000.jpg

I've been working on a new version of my Endor map, which is a completely new map based on Battlefront (somewhat).

I learned how to make area portals so the map's 3 areas run at a respectable 90 FPS thru-out. One of my friends Nokill sent me Lausers plant models which are excellent, however I noticed that one of the tree models has some Z Fighting problems with it, which Lauser has mentioned in this thread. I was wondering if Pahricida would be interested in loaning me that nice tree model I saw in the pic. I was also wondering if I could have permission from Lauser to use the trees and models in my map. Thanks!

Btw my email and MSN is lindseymr7@hotmail.com if you guys wanna chat.

Archived