Home

Editing Items Using KotOR Tool - Tutorial

Achilles

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by whitguy

i dont know how to cheat can you help

It's all explained in this thread: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119128

but i cant put my costum stuff in the game because when i go to inventory to put it in a footlocker or something and go to costum items nothing there please help me

As for your items not appearing in the game, it is very likely a problem with the .utc file: make sure the TemplateResRef field is the same as your file name (without the .uti extension). Per example, if your file name is my_item.uti, then tye my_item in the TemplateResRef field.

Also make sure that the name is not too long ( somepeople have reported having problems with long file names but I haven't verified this - I know there is a problem in .2da files with this however)

Other thing, avoid using capital letters in those fields: they can only be a source of mistakes and it doesn't change anything since what you type in those fields does not appear in the game...

Originally posted by Darth333

Other thing, avoid using capital letters in those fields: they can only be a source of mistakes and it doesn't change anything since what you type in those fields does not appear in the game... [/b]

If you think it'd be useful, I can set any text entry field to automatically have lower case characters regardless of what the user types. If you have a list of fields and the editors they appear on, let me know.

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

If you think it'd be useful, I can set any text entry field to automatically have lower case characters regardless of what the user types. If you have a list of fields and the editors they appear on, let me know.

If you could do that for the TemplateResRef field it could prevent some beginners mistakes but I don't think it's a good idea for the tag field since a lot of original files use capital letters in this field. In some particular cases it can be useful to be able to place caps in the tag field and unless the person uses scripts, it doesn't really matter what's in this field.

• 3 months later...

Ummm...

N00b question. Don't jump on me, please!

I can get into KOTOR tool, extract the files I need, but when I go to edit the properties tab and double click on the line I want, I can't change anything; all I end up doing is selecting one of the words in the box or putting in a cursor. I've tried the drop down menus and typing, but it won't accept anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:x-wing:

Originally posted by CTOAN

Ummm...

N00b question. Don't jump on me, please!

I can get into KOTOR tool, extract the files I need, but when I go to edit the properties tab and double click on the line I want, I can't change anything; all I end up doing is selecting one of the words in the box or putting in a cursor. I've tried the drop down menus and typing, but it won't accept anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What are you trying to do?

Edit an item's properties.

I opened KOTOR Tool, extracted the file, opened the extracted file with it, clicked on the 'properties' tab, and double clicked on a property line, like the 'Armor Requirement: Heavy' Line. That's where I'm stuck.

Originally posted by CTOAN

Edit an item's properties.

I opened KOTOR Tool, extracted the file, opened the extracted file with it, clicked on the 'properties' tab, and double clicked on a property line, like the 'Armor Requirement: Heavy' Line. That's where I'm stuck.

Yeah, I think I got that. :rolleyes: What I was trying to find out is whether you were trying to add a new property or modify an existing one. When you double click on the line, make sure that you do so in the far left column (the one with the arrow or the asterik).

Originally posted by Achilles

Yeah, I think I got that. :rolleyes: What I was trying to find out is whether you were trying to add a new property or modify an existing one. When you double click on the line, make sure that you do so in the far left column (the one with the arrow or the asterik).

Note to self: Add tooltip to grid reminding users to double-click on row header.

This behavior is the same as implemented in some commercial software that I developed, and it is documented, but I forgot to mention it in the Kotor Tool doco.

Edit: Added feature; watch for it in the next version.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Check in your inventory. Do you get a grenade with no description? This is refered to as a null nade and usually for me means there is a problem with filenames.

1. Is the item's file in your override folder?

2. Did you change both the Tag and the item's Resref?

3. Did you try to make a new item, or change an existing one?

4. Did you save the file like the Resref and Tag?

_EW_

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I am trying to overwrite original game items, rather than add custom items, but having no success.

I used KT, added the properties I wanted (I added Damage Reduction, Damage Resistance, or both, to all the armor and robes in the game) and saved each .uti file with the original tag, so that it would overwrite the standard version.

I placed all of the files in the override folder. However, in-game, all items have only their unedited properties. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

I can't remember why, but that's the way it is.

When you load pick up an item it loads into your save game... like when you enter an area for the first time it sets everything in your save game.

So any item changes you have to spawn/get a new copy of the item, you can even keep the old one if you wish, or just dump it in a convenient placeable somewhere or sell it. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I have one maybe simple question:

I tried to modify some items. Works perfectly but name and description of the items are not displayed in game. Can someone tell me why?

Is it because I play the german version?

Archived