Home

Could Grim Fandango Make the Big Screen?

Lecter 66

I've already discussed if Monkey Island could become a movie, but GF would be a lot harder to create. As I'm sure you're aware its made from skeletons and demons: which both would look bad in costumes.

So they're are difficulties, but modern-day effects can create vast worlds and characters (look at Lord of the Rings). But GF has the possibility of not just one film but a quadrilogy, seeing all the Manny goes through in the Four Years.

Then again one movie could be enough to see Manny's trials through the Land of the Dead, seeing Manny defeat Hector and Domino in the one film which could be enough.

What do u think??? please post your comments below

Hi there =)

I think to make a non-animated movie out of it , would be bad. I cant imagine how Manny would look like?! To do it like Shrek or any other 3d animated movie, would be cool!

The idea with the 4 movies is a great one. Some really nice details would be come out, especially of Rubacava.

But I doubt an audience would like it though.

Ok, movies like " Finding Nemo " got well sold out ( sorry if its wrong english ) in many conutries. But this is special, dont know if kids would like dead skelletons ;)

Sal

btw: Welcome to our GF Forums =)

I also think that a computer animated movie(s) would be cool, but I don't think they would sell too well.

I would buy everything of course, and so would some people I know online, but the big audience?

Hm, anyone know if "Nightmare Before Christmas" was a hit or not? Everyone I've talked to loves it, but I don't know how much money they made with it.

I think the problem with GF movies would be that they'd be too scary/not interesting for children, and -- at least in my country -- adults don't watch much animated movies.

not all animated movies are for children and are marketed that way.

it definately should be animated, but can be marketed towards an older audience. look at the final fantasy movie; little kids didnt go for that. adults and teens sure did, though.

id also reprise the roles of all the original voice talents, and heres the kicker: put em all in the same room when doing their lines (as much as possible, anyway). that would really bring out the life in them, even more so than what was present in the game (and there was a lot present).

That might work in the USA and most parts of the world, but in my country adults don't watch animated movies. Many like them, but don't go to see them without children etc.

I could be a pessimist though, maybe a GF movie would really make profit.

Yes, all of the original cast would have to be in it. Especially Tony Plana, Maria Canals, Alan Blumenfeld, Patrick Dollaghan, Sal Lopez and Paula Killen. Of course no one could replace the rest either, but it could be possible to rip several lines of the minor characters straight from the game.

Originally posted by James Isaac

I think a Shrek-style film would be the best for Grim Fandango. All adventure games fit perfectly as films, because of the way the story and puzzles work.

Yep it think that too.

hehe a green Manny ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I think CGI would be cool. But the stop motion animation for Nightmare Before Christmas may also be an idea worth trying. And to answer your question VampireNaomi, Nightmare Before Christmas made about 50 million at the U.S. box office. Not bad, but kind of poor when compared to Shrek or Finding Nemo.

IT'd be cool as a movie. Defineitely best in CGI though. Next best would be high quality stop motion, like nightmare before christmas, but I see no reason why you'd even think of doing that when the friggin game itself is already computer animation. Heck, you could just display the game onscreen and have a movie. I think the premise would attract more than just the "people who've played the game" audience. Most people wouldn't even know there was a game, but that doesn't matter. I think it's be a great movie.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets take a one minute break, just to remember him...

I don't think is would be a good idea to create a GF movie in four parts. People will only see part 2, if the first part is good. And as we all know, there isn't very much action in year 1.

Come on. Write a little letter to Pixar, just to let them know.. :)

• 3 weeks later...

a film would be a great idea! computer animation would be the way to go but if you forget about the computer game and just think of the idea of grim fandango then live action could work...it would have to be amazing and have a big budget probably but it really could work! we'd have to forget about manny etc which would be hard though!

a tv series could be really good aswell - computer animated...30min or 60min episodes!

Originally posted by Udvarnoky

I don't think a Grim movie would work and I really wouldn't want one, but I think the way I'd do it is film everything life action except for the characters themselves, make them the only CGI. Sort of like the game itself, they were the only 3d models.

Wait for Tierra 3d ;) Is coming in some future..

Tierra de los Muetos as an 3d movie with some "ideas" from Grim Fandango.

Check out the http://www.nightlightradio.com site soon, after relauch ( its close XD )

The problem to make an 3d movie of grimE would be to get the voice actors ;)

Ahh yeah yeah...that would be fun...

You were saying about the voice of Velasco("Hey sailor.") earlyer, y'know about him being dead n' all, well think of the bright side, he's in THE LAND OF THE DEADtm now and...well...okay I know I'm not funny, but I was just trying to say somethin' that nobody else thought of.Anyway it would be a lot smarter to make a second GF and THEN release a movie."Huh?" you say, well wouldn't be GF more popular if it would be new?

Archived