Home

Outlaws is back

Udvarnoky

That means that the Outlaws soundtrack is once again available, as the full thing is included as audio tracks spread across Outlaws CDs 1 and 2. Great news, as the soundtrack and cutscenes far overshadow the dated gameplay.

No...

As far as I know, as long as LucasArts doesn't make the games freeware (something which will never happen), the copyright lasts beyond my lifetime. This is regardless of whether or not they decide to make the games available.

Copyright for TV & Film (which I assume would be the same for games) expires 70 years from the end of the year of the first publication. So Grim Fandango (published 1998) will become public domain in 2069. That is, unless LucasArts choose to release it for free out of the goodness of their collective hearts.

I'm not sure! I think 70 years is more than enough milking time for anything really. I hope they didn't extend it anyway, I'm absolutely dying to see a sequel to Citizen Kane, and publish my own Harry Potter novels.

I do remember Disney were a bit iffed at the copyright laws, in that people might be able to come along and steal their mascots. Which is rich, considering that Disney were built on public domain stories and characters.

In further official LucasArts Company Store news, there is currently a $9.99 blowout sale going on. Wow. Too bad there's nothing of real interest, unless you'd like to purchase a mug with the logo of a ****ed up company on it.

And remember, you heard it from me - the official company store observation expert - first.

EDIT:

Someone who's not me should really try purchasing this. One could also derive enjoyment by screwing around with the product numbers to find pages of old out-of-print items (like the Mac version of Loom) that were apparently overlooked when deleting stuff. It's also fun to take it a step further by editing the pages so that you can place OOP items in your shopping cart. I once did this with the Classic Adventures pack when it was discontinued, but my order was unsurprisingly cancelled. Still, I've always though it'd be funny if all of a sudden there'd be orders placed for really old titles.

Then they'd all be sorry.

Originally posted by Jake

I'm sure if Grim is out of stock at Amazon it won't be for long. The jewel case version of Grim apparently does surprisingly good, consistant business on Amazon.

Guess the Grim soundtrack doesn't do well then.

Oh and I'm still waiting for my soundtrack Jake. Has it been 6 months yet?

• 3 months later...

Further company store woes, as LucasArts finally stopped selling the Mega Monkey Bundle (which was a "limited" item available for a year now), as well as the CMI alternate item that contained Monkey Island Madness. I wonder how long it will be until we can officially purchase Monkey 1 and 2 again from the company.

If LucasArts made the bundle available to get rid of old stock, it would appear as though they've succeeded. I hope they restock eventually, even if it's once again the budget editions.

• 1 month later...

Always eager to prove that this thread has a point, it's interesting (IT IS!) to know that SWON, Emperor's Tomb, and Armed and Dangerous are now considered "classics" at the company store.

Yikes. Armed & Dangerous? Still waiting for LucasArts to make good on its promise (as I like to consider it) on Monkey1 and 2 making their return at some point.

EDIT: Holy crap, I've also just noticed that Full Throttle is no more.

Here's the current status of all their "classic" adventures...

- Maniac Mansion (1987) - NOT FOR SALE

- Zak McKraken (1988) - NOT FOR SALE

- Indiana Jones Last Crusade (1989) - NOT FOR SALE

- Monkey Island 1 (1990) - NOT FOR SALE

- Loom (1990) - NOT FOR SALE

- Monkey Island 2 (1991) - NOT FOR SALE

- Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis (1992) - Adventure Pack Only ($29.95)

- Day Of the Tentacle (1993) - Adventure Pack Only ($29.95)

- Sam N Max (1993) - Adventure Pack Only ($29.95)

- Full Throttle (1995)- NOT FOR SALE

- Curse of Monkey Island (1997) - For sale! ($14.95)

- Grim Fandango (1998) - For sale! ($14.95)

- Escape from Monkey Island (2000) - For sale! ($14.95) + Mac Version available

- Sam N Max 2 (2004) - :(

Weren't there two versions of Sam & max and Day of the Tentacle? The one with the eight floppies, and the one on CD. If I have my information correct, the floppies only had talking during the cutscenes, but the CD's had talking the entire game. So if this assumtion is true, which version would be available in the adventure pack?

The Adventure Collection has the CD-talkie versions of all three games.

FOA had a floppy edition too, I think what was different about that game was that the talkie version wasn't considered until after the floppy version (or so I've heard).

Yeah, the Adventure Collection is a sweet little package, but it comes with nothing in the way of paper extras and sucks if you already have one or two of the games. Definitely worth the purchase, though, just have SCUMMVM ready.

Originally posted by Udvarnoky

FOA had a floppy edition too, I think what was different about that game was that the talkie version wasn't considered until after the floppy version (or so I've heard).

That is pretty much correct. I mean, I'm sure it was considered before, but it was released a while after.

Archived