Home

schoolhouse rock

RicardoLuigi...

well, since there are a few threads where people have gotten into discussions about the english language, and/or "american" language the way americans do things or the way things are in the english language, i decided to make a topic about it!

here, we can bicker all we want about english grammar and little things that bother people (actually, mostly only alien426...;)).

anyone care to start an argument/heated discussion?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Das Mole

well, since there are a few threads where people have gotten into discussions about the english language, and/or "american" language the way americans do things or the way things are in the english language, i decided to make a topic about it!

here, we can bicker all we want about english grammar and little things that bother people (actually, mostly only alien426...;)).

anyone care to start an argument/heated discussion?

Well, you should always start sentences with a capital letter, for one thing. :rolleyes:

Also, the letter I is always capitalized when referring to yourself.

Y'know,.. little things like that.

Cacaphone IS NOT PRONONOUNCED "Kaka-fony"

Deus is not "Deuce"

and damnit, "you're" is not "your" and "yours" is not "your's". "Its" is not "it's" unless you mean to say "it is". "Stupider" and "funner" aren't words, and there's not such thing as "diappropriate" UNLESS you mean the opposite of the distribution definition of "appropriate".

IF ANYONE EVER TYPES "ND" INSTEAED OF "AND" AGAIN I SWEAR I'LL KILL THEM.

i think your being a little to touchy, nd u should just clam down.

anyway...

i don't bother w/the capital letters and crap when i'm typing b/c it just gets in my way. why capitalize? esp. at the beginning of a sentence. that's what punctuation marks are for. and as for capitalizing the letter "i" when it's by itself, i'm not any more important than the next guy. why capitalize it?

it's just common sense...

That's a semicolon;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;B0ner

um...i'm not stupid. i wasn't talking about a semicolon.

i meant using a comma instead of a decimal point and vice versa, example:

bill at a restaurant: 57,00

how many ditzy people inhabit the earth: 1.764.239

can you imagine a big number w/a decimal?

0_0

Originally posted by Dr Edison 007

I always obey the laws of grammar, and teacher loves me for it

Wait a second! I missed an even more obvious error! There is no peroid to be found!

It looks like Teacher needs a new pair of glasses.

Crap. I'll bet I made about 47 grammatical errors just now and I'll end up looking like a great buffoon.

Originally posted by Guybrush122

"yours" is not "your's".

Where exactly would one use the term "your's"? or are you just saying that sometimes ditzy people put in that extra apostrophy?

Oh, and decimals and commas? Okay, it's simply common sense not to mention a saviour of lots of confusion to put commas in with big numbers (1,000,000) and decimal points in with decimal numbers (3.1415927). The comma's are used to tell people exactly what to call a number. With the number 1000000, without commas to split the numbers up, people would have to count the 0's to tell that it is a million, whereas, if it's 1,000,000 there is on set of 1 along with 2 sets of 3 digits, which means it would be a million.

Now when you start intermingling decimals and commas, but in the wrong order, you get up to ****'s creek. Take Moles example, 1.452.098,2971. I'm not entirely sure what he's saying here anyway, is this what he thinks it would be like if they changed decimal points and commas around? Whatever, first of all, it looks wrong, you start to think of 1.452 (not one thousand, four hundred and fifty two, but one point four, five, two) but then there are more decimals after it. Now I don't know how some people do this, buit after studying advanced mathematics, I know that most of the world deals with decimal points and then either commas for big numbers, or just spaces, but spaces cause mistakes as well, so they do comma's instead. That's how it works.

Just because a lot of people use your method and you'd have to familiarize yourself with the other method, doesn't mean shit. I was saying that the decimal is more important. The thousands separator merely helps to visualize the number. So the more important part should be better identifiable.

Archived