Home

Battle Report threads

Guest DarthMaulUK

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ANother week, another 2 defeats!

The first game was a 3 way FFA between me, pbguy and Viceroy. I was closest to pbguy and to make things more unpleasant, it was a space map. The good thing was that there were plenty of mynocks near my CC so I had a good start. That nearly cost me though: because I was hunting early on, I had still had food stockpiles left well into T2. Luckily I saw pbguy's rush coming and moved the food workers out of the way just in time. Then my troopers moved in and wiped out his first wave, but I knew a second one wouldn't be far behind so I built more troopers. The 2nd wave did more damage, going for the carbon workers while his mounties nearly burnt down the turret that was guarding them. Again I moved my troopers in and wiped them out, built more workers and troopers, and set out for a counter attack. I got a few of pbguys carbon workers and killed the first lot of troopers who came out to proptect them, but with heavy losses, and he had a constant stream of new troopers coming out of his troop centres and my force was eventually wiped out. After that, pbguy got to T3 and I was nowhere near. Before I could get there, he came at me with masses of heavy troopers and advanced mounties, supported by strike mechs and a couple of MDs. And that was the end for me...

Phreak showed up for the 2nd game so it was a 2v2, me and Viceroy vs pbguy and Phreak, on a motherlode. I was between Phreak and Viceroy, with no direct route to pbguy, so I went T3 and tried to air rush him. That didn't get me very far because he had plenty of aa troopers, although I managed to pick off one or two workers and a force of troopers and mounties who were heading for Viceroy's base.

I got a decent boom going and had over 100 workers, but pbguy got to T4 before me and proceeded to deliver death by 1000 awings (well, it seemed like it). As soon as I saw the mass of orange appear on the mini map I started building more aa and garrisonning my workers, but it was too little too late. Everything that moved was wiped out, and although I saved a few workers, they couldn't do anything for a while because I couldn't get rid of the awings. Also, my one nova patch ran out and I forgot to start trading soon enough, so although I got to T4 I couldn't afford to upgrade anything or make enough fighters. I kept fighting but I knew we were finished. Soon a force of assault mechs, cannons and repeaters was chewing up my base, supported by Phreak's droidekas. Viceroy sent MDs, aa troops and repeaters to help me and we held the attacks off for a while against overwhelming odds (I ended up losing about 700 units!) but it couldn't last, and I was wiped out fairly quickly.

the numbers in that one 1v3 battle were way too great for me to overcome. i'd spent all my resources fighting the other 2 guys, and then vostok sends in his T4 GU units and I was on the wrong end of an unbalanced scale. At least I sent somone on my team all my resources before I bit the dust.

Fair enough. I'll credit your extremely early resignation to that too ;)

With the Forums operational again it's time for this weeks battle report.

The first game was very much our experimental game. We decided to experiment with having pbguy and saberhagen on the same team, and I decided to experiment with playing Gungans. The result was an absolute slaughter.

Pbguy was Rebels and saberhagen was Confederacy, while the other team consisted of Viceroy (Confederacy), StarWarsPhreak (Trade Federation), lukeiamyourdad (Wookiees) and me (Gungans).

The game was going along nicely. I'd managed to hold off a few strike rushes and help out others when they were rushed, so I assumed I wasn't going too badly. Then pbguy hit Phreak. Although Phreak's base wasn't destroyed, he decided to execute his usual tactic of "hide a worker in a friendly CC then when needed use him to build a base at the back of said friend's base".

Meanwhile saber was hitting LukesDad pretty hard, though he was certainly rising to the challenge. Pbguy now turned his attentions on Viceroy, and before long he too had a base in the back of mine. Well this was looking grim, but I managed to build quite a few shield generators and fortresses for protection. They didn't last long against pbguy's offense. When playing Naboo, Cannons have never been a problem as my fighters and bombers make short work of them, but as Gungans I haven't really perfected a decent anti-Cannon strategy. I was relying on mounties, but they fell fast to A-Wings, and I didn't have the numbers as I'd had far too many casualties fending off rushes from both enemies.

Inevitably I too was steamrolled. My efforts were too little too late. As a side effect of mass destruction of spaceports, luke's spaceport was crowded with a swarm of hover freighters. This upset Phreak somewhat, as he was relying on the trade routes to build Droidekas, and eventually he resigned. Pbguy discovered my second base, and promptly destroyed it, so I sent all my resources to LukesDad and resigned too. Pretty soon, Viceroy was also gone, and LukesDad was left alone. What a stand he made! He managed to hold off both saber and pbguy for quite some time after we were all gone, but against such an alliance there could be no victory. Eventually, he was over-run.

The second game I decided to give up this silliness and just play Naboo. By the end of the game I swore never to use another civ again... at least until I get bored again. The teams were pbguy and Viceroy vs saberhagen, lukeiamyourdad and me. Pbguy hit saber pretty early, as usual, so saber moved from his position on the wing to establish a base between LukesDad and me. By this time I'd fended off an assault or two from pbguy, and discovered the key to complete Naboo success. The one unit I had problems with previously was the AA Trooper. They are cheaper to mass than AA Mobiles, and although Fighters cut through them almost as fast as Bombers cut through Mobiles, the fact there is far more of them was what always spelt defeat for me. Pbguy nows this, of course, since on one of his T3 assaults against my base he sent more AA Troopers than Mounties and A-Wings.

But in doing my homework for "Getting the most out of each civ" thread, I discoevered that Naboo Strike Mechs aren't too bad, so I massed them in addition to Fighters and Bombers. The were great at holding off pbguy, particularly against his AA Troopers and Mounties. So that's the key to Naboo success: Strike Mechs.

I mounted an attack against Viceroy's base, which was next to mine, and soon later LukesDad joined the assault and we had pretty much destroyed Viceroy's original base. He'd retreated behind pbguy and built a new base there. Luke and I busied ourselves collecting what were once Viceroy's resources, and instead of recieving an A-Wing strike from pbguy as I was expecting, he instead attacked our workers with X-Wings. There was quite a number of them, but even I was surprised at how quickly my Fighters took them out. The swarm was wiped out and I'd only recieved a handful of casualties (apart from the Workers). I commented on how beautiful that had been.

Pbguy had established Fortresses all over the map, and it was at about this point in the game that luke and I started wiping them out. Most of them had been completely garrisoned with AA Troopers, since pbguy was no doubt anticipating my usual tactic of attacking Fortresses with Bombers, but this time we used a couple of my Cannons and a lot of luke's Artillery. After the first couple of Fortresses were destroyed, pbguy despaired and quit, depriving us of fun. Viceroy did the right thing and fought on, and quite admirably I might add. He'd lined the perimeter of his base with AA Turrets, and they were positioned in such a way that it was impossible for me to effectively use Bombers against them. Fortunately at this time I'd built a host of Jedi Masters (having four holocrons helped immensely in this regard) and I proceeded to convert the Turrets. There was a nasty surprise of the remnants of pbguy's air whoring - a large number of X-Wings in the middle of his base - that held me back for a while, but pretty soon our team was wiping out Viceroy's base, and he resigned.

If PB hadn't left We could have won. You really didn't get much respoucres from my base though as i had been particularly agressive in harvesting. Fortunatly you guys wern't scouting everywhere or you would have found me. explain how bombers couldn't effectibely be used against those AA turrets. If only PB hadn't left There was quite a storm brewing that given a bit more time would have broke with disastorous consequences.

You really didn't get much respoucres from my base though as i had been particularly agressive in harvesting.
Well in the area we cleared out there were two large clusters of Nova and two moderately sized clusters of Ore, so I call that a lot of resources.
explain how bombers couldn't effectibely be used against those AA turrets.
Well they could, but not without heavy losses. So I thought I might as well bring in the Jedi.
If only PB hadn't left There was quite a storm brewing that given a bit more time would have broke with disastorous consequences.
Perhaps, but I don't think so.

DK, in order for us to have overcome them, we would have needed for you to have some sort of an army...

I can't take on 3 people in post t4. The numbers just don't allow for that kind of success.

I told you to attack Vostok in t3 for a reason. You said: "I'm not ready yet." Well, the point is that he wasn't either. And he needs T4 to be successful. By the time we got there he was in T4 and had his fighters going with shields.

After DK was whooped, the game was basically over. If I make an air army to try and take out Vostok, LIAYD owns me on the ground. If I go after LIAYD with ground units, Vostok owns me in the air. I can't make an army with enough size and balance to overcome the both of them. And then saber got a little bit of something going to be annoying enough to make it 1v3.

The key to winning is attacking first and best. Putting your opponent on the defensive and making them react to you. Some of you guys really need to go back and watch some of the past recorded games to see what goes on between me and saber before T4. You rely to heavily on it.

goes back to 9 hours of hell/work

Nah we have to try it again :)

If people can hold of pbguy long enough I might be able to amass enough stuff to beat saber like in the first game we played. Managed to destroy saber's whole foward base. Then looks at his allies and pbguy...damn...so proud to destroy better player's forward base...yet...oy...

Maybe when Maul comes back we can try it again.

Dude, in game 1 you had no shot. I had 5 holo's and all the resources I wanted after taking about half of the map by force.

I didn't take phreak's land because I didn't want to knock him out of the game so early. But I had all of DKs area and I milked it for all I could. Not to mention my, phreak, and DKs nerfs I took by force as well.

saber should have made 1 AC to wipe out all your troops. :)

Maybe an assault mech or 2.

In game 2, I couldn't get at LIAYD for the life of me because of that friggin map. Weirdest damn thing I'd ever seen. The only way to it via saber's side was on a tiny little swamp path that seemed to stretch for half the map. And the other way I had to go through Vostok... and my secondary armies vs his first AND LIAYD's passing armies weren't going to hold up.

I think for us to at least stand an iota of chance against the pbguy-saberhagen alliance, I would at least have to be Naboo rather than Gungans. Viceroy said it all within the first couple of minutes of that game: "Vostok, what a time for you to give up air-whoring."

I'm keen to give it another try next week, provided we have enough people.

I had a terrible kill ratio in that first game. I killed about 500 units but lost over 900! But they were mostly troopers and mounties and I had the econ to keep pumping them out. Maybe I should've strike rushed Luke's dad instead of Vostok. I would've wiped him out as he didn't get to T2 until 18 minutes and I was T3 at 19, but because of that I didn't think he was much of a threat. I forgot that Vostok was Gungans and wanted to cripple him before he could go T4 and start air whoring!

That was a pretty weird map second time round.

Archived