Home

Battle Report threads

Guest DarthMaulUK

If I'd known DMUK could hold out for that long I might've pulled back and tried to rebuild, but I thought we were well and truly screwed. I was running out of nova and didn't have the pop slots to keep everyone off. I would've probably needed 100 fighters to get on top of Vostok's air power, but I also needed MDs to see off his strikes and Phreaks destroyers, and loads of repeaters to hold back Viceroy's repeaters and reeks. Even with DMUK's mechs and repeaters supporting me, I just couldn't hold all 3 of you back.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose it's fortunate for you Saber that you wern't too close to the water I had extensive naval facilities on that side of the map and they could easily have been used for making ships of war opposed to Utility Trawlers. Strike Mechs and MD's could have held back me and Phreak quite easily.

DMUK really stayed in his base after you were gone he did quite a few pummel raids but that was really it, You could have built up quite nicely that area were vostok had been able to sneak in if you had built up there DM would have had an invincible fortress that we propably wouldn't have been able to knock down.

But I was rebels so my strikes would've sucked, and anyway, if I 'd made enough strikes and MDs to hold you two off, Vostok's air would still have done for me cos I wouldn't have had the pop slots free for enough fighters even if I'd had the nova to build them. Now if I'd had enough resources stockpiled to be able to delete all my workers things might've been different. In my dreams... ;)

Well you put up quite a fight there, Saber. I seem to remember all of my Strike Mechs and AA Troopers were destroyed to a man, and all my cannons were destroyed, but by then I'd managed to neutralise most of your defenses, so I sent in new bombers and fighters to finish things off. The thing was that I was at my pop limit, but had a whole lot of units queued up ready to replace my casualties :D

I wouldn't say that at all; it certainly wasn't how he was fighting in that game. His Fighter attacks were scary even for me, so much so I built a whole heap of AA Troopers to support my fighters, which I don't do all that often. Right at the end he might have been a cornered animal, but aren't we all when our base is under seige?

Too many games - it's all a blur!

Saturday we started with me, pbguy, viceroy and phreak. Viceroy had to leave early on in the first game because of a power cut! So we started again with me and phreak against pbguy. We lost. pb did a turret push on my carbon patch, then when I'd set up another carbon centre on the other side of my base, he managed to get a load of troopers in it and cut off my carbon flow. Meanwhile my troopers didn't do too much damage to his base. I retreated some workers to phreak's base but it was all over fairly quickly.

After pbguy went, Connemara turned up and we had a ffa with her, me and phreak. I won easily and it probably wasn't much fun for anyone.

Sunday was quite different, not least because pb can't do Sundays any more. First game was me (Empire), Connemara (TF) and Phreak (Rebels) against Vostok (Naboo) and Viceory (Confeds) (all the Vs have to be on the same team!). It was a motherlode and I was pocket, which could have made things difficult because both my wings were weaker than their opponents. I decided to build all my military buildings in Phreak's base, which was on the side near Viceroy, as I thought Viceroy was more likely to attack earlier than Vostok. As it turned out he didn't trooper rush, but Phreak's house wall would have kept him out anyway. I went T3 and started building lots of strikes. When I was ready, Phreak deleted some of his wall to let me out, and I went charging through Viceroy's base slaughtering workers all over the place. His defences were overwhelmed and the strikes just kept coming. Vostok came to help with lots of fighters. Although he had too many for my fighters and aa troopers, I managed to lure them away by sending half of my strikes straight into his base. Meanwhile I was forward building a heavy factory, which I used to send pummels into Viceroy's base. By the time my pummels really got going, I had enough aa to keep Vostok's fighters off and Viceroy had to abandon his original base, which I levelled and moved into myself.

Viceroy built a new base a bit further back, behind a narrow gap which he'd walled off. I built a fort not far off the wall and started building more factories, but I laid off attacking as my main focus was on booming. I went T4 after about an hour and started upgrading mechs and heavies. Nova was no problem at all as I had plenty of patches to mine around my own base and in the territory I'd taken from Viceroy. I never even had to trade, and there was still a huge nova patch in front of my fort which was untouched at the end of the game!

As all my military was concentrated in the forward base, I didn't have much protection for my workers in my old base. Vostok eventually took adavantage of this with some big air raids, but Phreak had been air whoring as well and came to rescue me before I lost too many workers. At some point my econ got out of balance and I ran out of carbon, but it didn't last long.

Back at the forward base, I had loads of heavy art pounding Viceroy's wall, ready to let in a stream of FU strikes and MDs. Confed repeaters are good, but they didn't cause me too many problems. Vostok kept coming in with air support but I had a mass of aa mobiles and troopers and fighter support from Phreak, so he never made much impact. It was a hard fight, but I kept advancing with mechs killling everything that moved on the ground, and a mixture of art, pummels and mounties killing everything that didn't. eventually I met up with Connemara's forces which were working their way through Vostok's base from the other side, while Phreak's air was everywhere. Total carnage! But it was a real team effort. We worked well together and seemed to have picked the right civs. I'd forgotten just how good Empire mech whoring is! And with an air whoring ally to keep Vostok at bay we couldn't be stopped...

Connemara had to go after that, so the second game was me and Phreak vs the Vs (same civs again). This was a rivers type map, with lots of islands separated by shallows. Phreak and Vostok were opposite each other and both house walled their shallows, so no rushing there. Viceroy didn't wall so I started strike rushing him as soon as I was T3. I thought Vostok was a bigger threat becasue his score was higher, but I couldn't get to him except through Viceroy's base. Again Vostok sent fighters to help, and again I lured them off back to his own base. After a few waves of strikes, Viceroy was making nothing but grenaders. Once I'd got him on the defensive, I did a fort push onto his territory. The first fort didn't last long as Vostok had a navy, and his cruisers kept pounding my forward base. My MDs and Phreak's air kept seeing them off, but they kept coming back, so I had to keep rebuilding things. Vostok was also sending air against my base, but they didn't do much, again the combination of my aa and phreak's fighters was too much for them. Whenever I had a fort up I kept pumping out dark troopers. I'd forgotten how tough they are. They kept running around Viceroy's base causing havoc, and nothing could kill them! Eventually we got the upper hand, and Viceroy pulled back into Vostok's base while my pummels ate his old base.

At this point we controlled most of the map, with Vostok and Viceroy on one island in the bottom corner, but it was a very heavily defended island. Both crossings onto it from my land were heavily walled, with a fort to defend each one. I'd expanded into the central island, and Vostok missed an opportunity to wipe out all my undefended carbon workers there. By the time he attacked, I'd just started making AA troopers and managed to see him off. However, my attempts to break into the island weren't getting very far. Every time I tried to knock down the defences with cannons Vostok sent a suicidal air attack to take them out, while Viceroy was making a comeback and sending lots of repeaters to defend the western side. There was less nova on this map, and I had a severe shortage of it until my trade got going (which I forgot to do early enough). Vostok resigned unexpectedly. I'm not sure if it was because Phreak did something that I didn't see or because he had to go, but the game didn't kast long after that.

Yes, apologies to everyone but my presence was required elsewhere so I had to leave early. I think it's unlikely we could have won that one anyway... Viceroy and I were crammed on the same island, and although we had plenty of Nova going from our strong trade route, I had already mined just about all of the Carbon on the island. I'd put up heavy defenses since I knew I'd have to leave any moment, but I knew we wouldn't be able to win that one.

Probably the toughest thing in both the games was Phreak's air. I think in the Rebels Phreak has really found a great civ to expand on his already flourishing skills. The Trade Federation with it's simplicity was just holding him back. Now I probably could have easily dealt with his Fighters myself, but when combined with saber's AA Troopers and Mobiles it made things extremely hard.

In the first game Saber's early strik rush was devastating to Viceroy, and from then on saber just kept sending more and more units into battle at Viceroy's base. He was extremely well defended against air, but a couple of times I made massive dents in his forces by using a combined fighter/bomber/strike combo, and had it not been for Phreak's fighters I may have given Viceroy some breathing room free from Saber, if only for a moment.

I had intended at my first opportunity to drop some workers into the motherlode region to capitalise on the fish there, because I was having a bit of trouble with my food intake. Unfortunately, what with saber's distraction, Phreak got there first. He built a whole lot of AA cruisers there which made things very hard if I wanted to continue sneak attacks against him and saber, which had been slightly successful up until this point.

On hindsight what I should have done was send a full army against Connemara's base instead of into battle with saber. Connemara was pretty quiet for the whole game, and an attack on her would have meant Phreak would need to dispatch his fighters to help out. I was well equipped against fighters, what with an army of aa troopers in addition to my fighters, so I probably could have taken any force that either Connemara or Phreak could throw at me. This in turn probably would have meant saber at least focussing on me instead of Viceroy. But hindsight as they say is always 20/20.

Once Phreak discovered the power of the A-Wing, the game was pretty much over for us.

The second game saw virtually the same tactics used by all - saber's early strike rush, followed by a build-up of a huge forward base, and Phreak with overwhelming air support. However, this time since we were on a rivers map I could build Cruisers, which I do love. My Cruisers were quite a thorn in saber's forward base, but Phreak's air was causing me too much trouble. Why I didn't build a support navy with Frigates and AA Ships I can't say - this probably would have helped a lot.

Things began looking really bad when Viceroy retreated to the back of my island. I'd almost exhausted the carbon on the island, so although our defenses were strong it was only a matter of time before things turned sour. Unfortunately I had to leave in a hurry, so the game was ultimately unfinished, but it was certainly going to be an uphill struggle for the V Team.

Yeah, I was worried about you stomping through Mara's base. I was working my way around building AA turrents, and then to build defenses near her base. But then we started pushing hard against Vs. The A-Wings are nice. I wiped out most of Vostok's workers before he responded, but he got revenge on my havercrafts and saber's workers. I had a bunch of resources, so I decided to mine the center with AA ships, and build mobile AA to throw at Vostok. Once I had enough fighters to overwhelm Vostok, I sent them to his base. Took out his power cores, and destroyed whatever came out of his air bases. I had a Air Speeder/Fighter combo coming in to help saber with Vicery's army, but then the game ended. I didn;t use any bombers like I should have. I think the game would been a few minutes shorter if I did.

The second game was a bit tougher. I'm learning the usefulness of prefabs as cheap walls. I filled up the gaps to me which also has a side-effect, my ships couldn't pass through them. So once saber got his little base by Viceroy, I sent a bunch of workers to build my own fort and shipyard. I didn;t get to use my shipyard a lot, Vostok took care of it, and our shield generator. I promtly rebuilt and repaired Saber's nearly destroy mehc center, and built the air bases. I began Bomber whoring. By the time Vostok left, I had about 1.75 full group of Fighters, and 2 full groups of bombers ready to pound a way into Vostok's base.

It's a good thing neither attempted a hovercraft raid. I was toally relying on that to even survive. at 10 nova per drop off, I had a LOT going back and forth.

Fun game, hopefully Battlefront and Fable won;t keep me too occupied next week.

Indeed I must work on deflecting rushes if i'm not interfered with or not interfered with that Much I am Deadly mid and late game. If i'm interfered with it takes time to get a steady intake of food that stopped me from trying my Steamroller strategy during our first game because i had enough carbon but food was a problem.

There's really not much point having a spaceport in T2, unless you're trying to go for a fast T3 by selling your ore, but that's quite risky. If you're pocket, it can be useful to get holonet when you get to T3, but wings should just be trooper rushing the nearest enemy, regardless of what anyone else is doing. Trading is a waste of carbon until the advanced stages of a boom.

Archived