Home

Now Playing In The Swamp

Poggle

Originally posted by InsaneSith

Doesn't he do music for the show Rugrats?

I know he was a member of Devo. :D

Yes, and quite a few more. The only one I'm sure of is Rocket Power, because I used to watch that show every chance I got.

Does anyone know if it's even still on :confused:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nirvana- Smells like Teen Spirit

Yeah, it's the most overated pop-song in existence, but I still love it. My favorite part is the whole cocain part (I guess I like the way it tastes; I find it hard it's hard to find...) even though I imagine it means I'm screwed in the head.

Originally posted by coupes.

Nice, I love Catch 22 also. And you do know I love ska also :p. I don't listen to ska regularly now, but every now and then I'll slap a great CD in my computer and listen to some fine ska beats..

That's awesome! What are some of your favorite bands? I must say Catch 22 was probably one of mine, but Reel Big Fish had some good tunes, and Less Than Jake was also a top favorite.

Have you ever heard Ska-P? They have some excellent musaks to listen to aswell :D

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Someone define what ska is >_>

"Popular music originating in Jamaica in the 1960s, having elements of rhythm and blues, jazz, and calypso and marked by a fast tempo and a strongly accented offbeat."

I think it's crappy, but meh.

Listening to: Jay-Z+ The Beatles - What More Can I Say

That's the actual song title in case you were wondering.

One of 12 mixes from DJ DangerMouse.

The Black Album + The White Album = The Grey Album = The Win

What more can I say :p

I'm curious, what songs are on the Grey Album? I don't remember What More Can I Say as a Beatles song, let alone a White Albums song.

speaking of which-

The Beatles- Day Tripper

Originally posted by Tyrion

Nirvana- Smells like Teen Spirit

Yeah, it's the most overated pop-song in existence, but I still love it. My favorite part is the whole cocain part (I guess I like the way it tastes; I find it hard it's hard to find...) even though I imagine it means I'm screwed in the head.

Those lyrics of yours aren't accurate. These are, though. At least as far as I can remember they are.

"And I forget

Just why I taste

Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile

I found it hard

It was hard to find

Oh well, whatever, nevermind"

I believe it was the single for Lithium that contained the lyrics for the entire Nevermind album in case you're curious how I knew that, or just curious where to find the "official lyric sheet."

Soilent Green-Lord of the Southern Priest (Black Sabbath medley)

Originally posted by ET Warrior

That's awesome! What are some of your favorite bands? I must say Catch 22 was probably one of mine, but Reel Big Fish had some good tunes, and Less Than Jake was also a top favorite.

Have you ever heard Ska-P? They have some excellent musaks to listen to aswell :D

All great bands ;) A couple years back I had the chance to go to a 'Reel Big Fish' show with some friends, it was awsome, everyone was waiting for 'Take on me' :D.

Of course I know 'Ska-P' ! I've known them for a while now, I like most of their songs, but their 3rd and 4th albums are probably my favorite.

Less than Jake is really one of my favorite bands it has a very distinctive sound and feel... I have most of their albums, my favorites probably are 'Hello Rockview' and 'Borders and Boundaries', but I also like 'Greased', it's really funny ;)

My favorite band is most definately 'Sublime' though... I can't think of any Sublime song I don't like. :p

But seriously, think of it like, a more trendy punk sound with horns added in....that's the gist of what it sounds like.

Yeah, that's basically what the 3rd wave is, that's what I mostly listen to, but I listen to some 2nd wave (two-tone) bands like 'The Specials' and 'Madness'. Except for 'Bob Marley and the Wailers' I don't really listen to any 1st wave ska though...

Originally posted by coupes.

Less than Jake is really one of my favorite bands it has a very distinctive sound and feel... I have most of their albums, my favorites probably are 'Hello Rockview' and 'Borders and Boundaries', but I also like 'Greased', it's really funny ;)

I really want to get LTJ's new album B is for Besides. Anthem was pretty good but it was missing alot of their horn sound, which is part of what makes them so good.

I cannot STAND Greased, but that's because I was actually in Grease the musical in high school, and I hated the director, and we sang those songs so many times I cannot listen to them without wanting to kill things. ;)

My favorite song, which is I think MOST people's favorite is Johnny Quest Thinks We're Sellouts. That is an absolute kickass song :D

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

Those lyrics of yours aren't accurate. These are, though. At least as far as I can remember they are.

"And I forget

Just why I taste

Oh yeah, I guess it makes me smile

I found it hard

It was hard to find

Oh well, whatever, nevermind"

I believe it was the single for Lithium that contained the lyrics for the entire Nevermind album in case you're curious how I knew that, or just curious where to find the "official lyric sheet."

Soilent Green-Lord of the Southern Priest (Black Sabbath medley)

Thanks for the official lyrics, I was just saying what I remembered(I didn't get to that part in the song yet when I was writing.) Also, I find the lyrics to songs through google.

And ET, I'm crappy and damn proud of it. :)

Edit- The Beatles-Can't buy me love Stupid fly ad muted the song. Damn you!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Darth Groovy

I'm listening to the Ray sound track.

Ray Charles: "Mess Around"

Ray Charles was blind, played the piano, and got very famous.

Yeah.

Thats the soundtrack from the movie, right? So, is it Ray Charles actually singing or the person who played him? Never saw the movie, so I could just be saying something stupid. :)

Aerosmith - Lick And A Promise

It's name may make you think it's a sexual song, but it's actually about going out on stage and winning over the crowd. :)

Originally posted by ZBomber

So, is it Ray Charles actually singing or the person who played him? Never saw the movie, so I could just be saying something stupid. :)

Ha, if Jamie Fox could sing like that he wouldn't be doing comedy :p

They implemented Ray Charles' voice i believe :)

RA- Do You Call my Name

Blink album: Enema of the State

Blink 182 isn't that good of a band anymore. They only have one song that I like so far, except before when they were cooler.

I tell that to myself to get to sleep at night. though its true

Originally posted by ZBomber

Aerosmith - Lick And A Promise

It's name may make you think it's a sexual song, but it's actually about going out on stage and winning over the crowd. :)

One of my friends like a song called "Shake that bush again." Yes, I know what you're thinking and that is what the song's about.

Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven.

Originally posted by Mike Windu

Someone define what ska is >_>

Depends on what generation your talking about. 1st gen bands like desmond dekker and the aces or the skatilites are a combo of dance hall and jazz and hail from Jamaica. Trad bands tend to be very spiritual, bording on gospel in their messages. Since dance hall developed from ska and roots from dance hall, ska is the root of both reggae and and a large subsection of modern punk.

Second wave bands hail from england and dumped the jazz, going for a mix of mostly dance hall with a bit of early punk thrown in later on. Bands like the 4-skins that were more punk than ska were called oi and belonged to the skinheads. Bands that were more dance hall, like madness, the english beat, and the specials belonged to the mods and were often called 2-tone.

3rd wave bands are basicaly punk bands with horns, bands like less than jake, voodoo glow skulls, goldfinger, and operation ivy. The horns with these bands tend to follow a dance hall template. 3rd wave bands tend to be more influenced by reggae rather than earlier ska. Many third wave bands are often refered to as skacore.

Then there's sublime. sublime is an unique 3rd wave band like no other, more roots than dance hall, but with a great deal of punk as well. If anyone were looking for something to listen to to see what ska was, I'd suggest 40 oz. to freedom, by sublime (what I'm currently listening to right now.) Their lyrics can be obscene at times though, especialy their songs in spanish. This album has a wide range of ska; 2-tone sounds featuring both dance hall and roots beats, as well as alot of skacore and punk. In my opinion, one of the best rock albums ever, punk, ska, or commercial.

Sorry for the long winded definition, but ska is a 45 year old style of music that has evolved drasticaly over the years.:cool:

The Mission - Even You May Shine

The Mission was formed after Wayne Hussey and Craig Adams left The Sisters Of Mercy in 1985, because of internal problems. Their work has been pretty varied in quality, but this is one of my favourite songs by them. The Sisters, on the other hand, kept on going, and basically "pwned" The Mission with the genious record Floodland. :D

Archived