Home

The future of Star Wars Gaming

*apologies in advance for repeating this post in multiple forums, but I NEED feedback!*

You know, I started sort of a rant in this thread about Star Wars games in general, and I felt this would be a thread worthy discussion about the material that exists in Star Wars games, and a good place for some positive/negative feedback.

Basically I wanted to clearify, that I don't HATE the current SW titles already on the market, but I wanted to point out that what I feel really SELLS Star Wars games is the relationship between elements of the movies and the action that follows. Honeslty, the best parts of Dark Forces, were running around and fragging Stormtroopers, and interacting with characters and creatures that appeared in the original films such as Boba Fett, and Jabba The Hutt. I'm not saying the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series had "bad" story elements, but in the end, what made the games fun was being in that Star Wars universe and feeling like your in one of the movies.

First SW game I really ENJOYED was Super Star Wars for SNES . The first time I ran the trench battle at the end of the game, I truly felt like Luke, and after several failures I literally closed my eyes before fireing the torpedoes into the mine shaft, and finally won the game. I was so exited, I literally had a beer party that night in celebration! Friends of mine were so HOOKED on that game. Now granted, it WAS a side scroller, that involved ALOT of TEDIOUS platform jumping, but all in all, for the time, the game was seriously fun, and did the best they could to capture the exitement and pace of the original movies.

Lets face it, alot of the games currently out there are basically clones of games that have already been released. (and some were done alot better to a certain degree.

Jedi Outcast/ Jedi Academy is Quake III with lightsabers.

Galactic Battlegrounds is Age Of Kings II with Star Wars elements.

Star Wars Battlefront is going to be 1942 with Star Wars Elements.

Starfighter/Jedi Starfighter/Rouge Squadron is well.....a flight sim! Flight sims have been around for almost 2 decades!

Even Republic Commando is going to be a FPS based on Unreal technology.

Star Wars Galaxies is basically Everquest, and (arguably) contains Star Wars Elements.

This may get me into some trouble with any wandering member of LucasArts, but I personally feel that there are WAY TOO many titles based on characters from Episodes 1, and 2, and let's face it, not too many of them were too popular amongst serious gamers.

What we want and need is a game that is actually based on the Originally Trilogy, that uses actual characters from The Original Trilogy that utilizes something other than technology that is already been done in other games. Something that has smoothe graphics, and has the same nostalgic feel of the Super NES Star Wars games, without having it be a side scrolling platform jumper. Have characters do what they do in the movies! Don't have Darth Vader fly out from over a cliff and shoot you full of lightning bolts!

I'm not a game designer, but I just know that the Star Wars game I been looking for, has never been released. The best parts of the games that were out there, I only enjoyed, because for a split second or so, I felt like I was in one of the original films.

Even my favorite part of Jedi Outcast, was NOT the SP game, but on MP, where I downloaded maps and models that were based on the movies, and tried to re-create those scenes!

Am I alone on this idea, or is the need and want for a new game based on the original movies long over due?

I open this for discussion, and again, this is not to trash LucasArts, or any of the games being released, it's just an area for some much needed feedback on all the games in general.

yeah Lynk is right, its all bascily the same thing now wit games, but there are a few games that pre-date ep 1 and 2 for example Knights of the old republic, this game really rocked it was great and it felt like the player was in the sw universe and u decided the out come of the game. As for the games beining orginal, that would be nice and great. As for your comment on u would like a game based on the trillogy, that would be cool too but if u think about it; they've done all they could wit the orginal trillogy, We've flown through and destoryed the secound death star, we've been on a spider bike chasing scout troopers in endor. What else is there to do? as for the games based on prequels those game are basicly not as good cuz we havent seen them in the movies and some time they are lame but once we see the prequel trilliogy and the end of the colne wars some of us gamers are gona want to go and fight battle droids and what not. Just wait and see but I do agree tho an orginal engie or idea would be nice:D

More X-Wing. (Specifically "Tie-Fighter 2: Remnant Revenge!")

:rolleyes:

Sorry, but I had to say it.

I would like to see a campaign oriented SW space flight sim, perhaps online multiplayer (but NO monthly fee!), where one player from each side could act as commander and issue orders to squads of other players acting as pilots as well as control the capital ships. So for at least 2 players it would be a RTS game, and everyone else it would be a flight sim. Perhaps you could also have a tactical officer, choosing specific load-outs and mission profiles, and calling the battle while in progress, while the strategic officer concentrates on moving resources around the campaign field, and doesn't worry too much about the details of each battle as they happen.

Perhaps you could incorporate ground battles and Rogue Squadron-type above surface missions.

What ever the game it should be absolutely no compromises as far as the tech involved. This should be a bleeding edge type game, where most of us will be forced to upgrade our PCs in order to play it. It should come on a DVD-ROM, push the graphics and sound envelope, and be expandable.

Perhaps it comes with the basic game engine and the Alliance mission in the package, with the Empire mission campaigns on a second upgrade disk. Perhaps other missions, like a Bounty Hunter or Smuggler mission pack could be added later.

It would be nice if the missions extended from the Pre-Empire era, though the last round up of the Remnant, perhaps throwing in updated versions of old X-Wing missions for good measure, changed up enough to keep us on our toes. And I've always wanted a game where, if you fail a mission, it affects the outcome of future missions. Where, depending on if you choose to move on to the next mission without accomphishing an objective it assigns you a different mission than the one you would have gotten had you succeeded. The game would be totally different each time, and you wouldn't have to keep trying the same level over and over again until you win. You could accept a demotion and move on.

Or maybe the same type of game set in the KOTOR era.

Or maybe Lucasarts should just give us Sam & Max 2 and just give Star Wars a rest for a couple of years... until we all just really, really want it back.

Originally posted by Redwing

What would be cool is a game in which we could do all that at once. ;)

Something like the Phantom Menace game should have been, but wasn't because it was rushed...

Yeah, I agree. TPM was a good concept but as you and I both know, it was rushed to meet the deadline of Episode 1, failed to meet the deadline because of bugs, and the game came out, and more bugs were still there. Seemed to me that the game makers had a loose script to work with, and did the best they could. I didn't HATE TPM, there WERE some simillarities to Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, and a bit of Role playing spliced in between. The game held my interest long enough for a purchase. And again, it is one of MANY actual movie based SW games that had a good idea, tried to be original, but was rushed and failed.

After Episode III, it is going to be intersting to see what LA does with the SW franchise in the game industry.

My dream Star Wars games are:

- a space RTS like Homeworld 2 with the New Republic, Imperial Remnant, Yuuzhan Vong, and some other fleets like Pirates, HUtts, Hapes Consortium, ect.

- "SWGB2" with 3D (like CnC:Generals)

- KOTNR (Knights of the New Republic)

You have to admit though. RC and Battlefront does look like fun.

I once envision a second Supremacy [Or Rebellion, "tomayto-tomato"].

Except this time instead of only the two sides there would be more. You'd have the New Republic, two Imperial Warlord factions [say, Thrawn and Clone Emperor?] The Yvetha and The Hutts as smaller sides.

Or, XWA 2! We want Antan dealt with!

Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

My dream Star Wars games are:

- a space RTS like Homeworld 2 with the New Republic, Imperial Remnant, Yuuzhan Vong, and some other fleets like Pirates, HUtts, Hapes Consortium, ect.

- "SWGB2" with 3D (like CnC:Generals)

- KOTNR (Knights of the New Republic)

You have to admit though. RC and Battlefront does look like fun.

Oh, of course! I plan to get both when they come out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to say first that this is what I wish a game would come out, I know that some things would be technically impossible.

I'd like an X-Wing game where you learn the basics of flying on a home planet, then learn the basics of combat in the Imperial academy, then you can choose wether to stay with the empire or go with the rebellion, and can do so at any time during the game. It should go from pre-battle of yavin era all the way to at least the Thrawn era. I want you to be able to have, like in the original tie fighter game, RPG/Adventure game style conversations, and depending on how you interact with people you might get promoted. With the promotion you should be able to go from cannon fodder to group leader, to squadron leader, to wing leader, then switch to a Homeworld 2 like gameplay as you turn into a commander on a star destroyer, until you even reach being the commander of the whole fleet. Of course, along the way you'd get better ships, and once you reach a high enough rank send people to do research, buy custom parts to make your ship faster/more powerful/etc. You should also be able to get a nice medal collection.

Also, the missions should, of course include the major ones, like Endor, not yavin cause the rebellion had like 10 star fighters and 8 of them died, etc., but maybe in a training simulator, Thrawn's victories, the taking of Corusant, etc. Hell, maybe even stretch all the way to the Vong, etc. Í'd also like missions, medals and promotions to have to do a little on what things you do in a mission, say you're sent to check out smugglers, but instead of blowing up their ship you might just disable it, and get new information, which opens up more missions, may get a promotion or medal if it's good enough. Same with disabling rebel/imperial ships. Also, I want to be able to see how many kills I've had, maybe being able to see that by the marks on the sides of your ship. And if you advance enough, maybe you might fly with famous characters from games/books/movies, like Luke, Wedge, Corran Horn, Gavin, maybe even Han in the millemium falcon, maybe with....erm, I don't know any snubfighter pilots that were actually major characters on the imperial side...other than Vader, but he only flew at the Death Star. You should also be able to deny promotions if you just want to keep being a pilot. I also want it to be PC-Exclusive so it'll be a flight sim and won't be watered down to something rouge-squadron like. I love Rouge Squadron, but I think this game would be way better as an X-Wing type game, y'know, managing lasers, shields, and engine, etc.

Anyway, just my dream game....

Oh, and I'd also like XWA II, I must kill Antan DAMNIT!

Archived