Home

Abortion debate (older thread)

VanLingo

Originally posted by CapNColostomy

Except the crap off your arms isn't going to grow up in 20 years and drink beer and smoke weed with you if you don't scrape it off. Not that I so much mind abortion. That's just not a good example.

But I'm not talking about what those cell are GOING to become. I was talking about at the time and place, you can't call that group of cells the childs body because it is NOT a body. That was my point.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

reelguy227:

As for spiderals proposition ,here is a link that says that the worlds population is declining and that it will hurt economic growth ,this isnt a religious or repubican site if that helps any ,its straight from Msn money .
You'll find quite a few articles claiming that "there's no global population problem". But that's rubbish. There are more people alive today than in any period in history. The population may be older... but then due to our insane experimentation with the artificial impregnation of grannies, people are having children older. Plus you'll find just as many articles claiming that "there's no global warming". Ha.

PLUS, that article you quoted focussed on our developed nations which naturally exhibit slower population growth than undeveloped nations.

So there. :D

Feanaro:

Well as it stands every American family has to have 1.5 children to keep the U.S. population at a healthy growth as well as keeping the work force strong.
Oh. My. God. At a rough estimate the US uses 25% of the world's resources, and it's only 4% of the world's population. Don't you think there are ENOUGH of you? :(

Abortion should not be a way to keep population in check. Responsibility is the only way.
Yeah, because the populace of the US is REALLY responsible, isn't it. :rolleyes:

Kain:

OMFG, I think you and I agree on something.
Damnit, Kain's finally found the way to make me arbitrarily change my point of view... :p

There is undoubtedly an increasing number of people. Its hardly rocket science to realise theres 6 billion people and most of them will reproduce, spawning more children...who will then reproduce, spawning more children...

Any suggestion of the contrary is no more believable than saying the Greenhouse effect is made up or George Bush is trustworthy.

However, abortion really isn't a means of population control. The numbers are no where near significant enough. I'm not saying it doesn't help contribute, but the impact is miniscule when compared to products such as contraceptives, which have (are having) a far superior impact on birth/population control.

(Sorry i fell out of the forums for a while! my motherboard crashed! i got it fixed and im back in the game!)

my mom says that most women (if not all women) who has had an abortion has regretted it!

see? people feel SORRY after they done it! nobodt feels remorse after they they done a root canal or an apendix removal or a virus curing! PEOPLE REGRET ABORTIONS!

Oh. My. God. At a rough estimate the US uses 25% of the world's resources, and it's only 4% of the world's population. Don't you think there are ENOUGH of you?

What are you talking about? I was just mereley stating that if the U.S. stops producing having enoguh children to one day maintain the work force we will be in big trouble. Kind of what china will be going through soon. You know they can only have one child. So many of them want boys so they can carry on the family name and get better jobs etc. So there is a shortage of females since 1980, when the one child thing went into effect. SO now they are having problems with the next generation even being born! you see what i'm saying?

The argument of "well that baby could grow up to cure cancer or AIDS" is very poor. If the mother is an 18-year-old teenage girl, that baby isn't going to have the chance to grow up properly.

Most likely, this is what will happen:

The father will just stay out of everything, being the kind and loving, responsible young man that all the girls go for.

The mother will drop out of school, get a crappy job, live with her parents, or in a run-down apartment.

That kid will grow up without any parental guidance (which means it'll be a bully in school, and when its older, starts drinking, smoking, breaking the law, getting pregnant/getting girls pregnant, etc.), and drop out of school (whoa, it's a cycle).

An unwanted baby ruins both the mother's and child's life. Yeah, the mother was foolish to let this happen, but why should she be forced to be a failure for the rest of her life because of one mistake?

Originally posted by TK-8252

The argument of "well that baby could grow up to cure cancer or AIDS" is very poor. If the mother is an 18-year-old teenage girl, that baby isn't going to have the chance to grow up properly.

that and the chances are just as likely he/she'll become the worlds worst serial killer/terrorist/serial rapist.

originally posted by TK-8252

OH YEAH?? READ THISS!!

I once saw a guy in school in an asembly. he made a speech about how he was born of a teenager!

when he was born, hi mother lost carrer opurtunities. she was poor and did drugs for her only entertainment! his mother said to him "if you hadn't been born, i would have made somthing of my life!" she was so hooked on drugs, she took drugs in the eye! when he was six he and his little sister was locked in a closet and he said to his sister " i wont abandon you like mom did!"

he walked into a CHURCH and learned about god! he never knew about god! he always thought god was just a cuss word! prayer and the concept of god changed his life ! he began studing and workingclimbed himself up!

i forget the middle of the story, but now he is successfull and he speaks in different schools and his little sister is now in college!

true story!

see not all unwanted kids turn ou messed up!

kids like them CAN grow properly! THIS GUY DID! i just wish i could remember his NAME!

every kid that is "unwanted" could someday be a docter or a great inventer! you never know!

Originally posted by kipperthefrog

when he was born, hi mother lost carrer opurtunities. she was poor and did drugs for her only entertainment! his mother said to him "if you hadn't been born, i would have made somthing of my life!"

I see having that baby really made the mother's life great!

see not all unwanted kids turn ou messed up!

But the vast majority do.

all it takes is for ONE baby to turn out good and he cures a desiese or makes a hacker proof computer or something!

better to let all the crack babies live than to kill one good one along with the bad dont you think?

It only takes one baby to end the human race, too. Only takes one baby to unite a country under extremely racist foundings. Only takes one baby to cause the suffering of thousand upon thousands of humans.

That's not the point. The point is the argument "well they might grow up to do something good someday" Holds no water, because that's just a big if. They might do something good or they might murder 50 people. We don't know so we can't base a decision off of "Well they MIGHT do something good"

Seems like both sides are running out of steam and are getting repetitive in their arguments, so I'll state my stance and leave this thread to you for now.

For every child who grows up to be a Nobel Peace Prize receipt, there are also those that grow up to become rapists and mass murderers. I will acknowledge that I don't don't particularly agree with the concept of abortion. Nevertheless, it is a fact that humans can only pass judgements and decisions from the limited human perspective. These judgements cannot be based upon hopes and assumptions, but on rationale and the reality of the situation, because these are the most capable and absolute (as can be) aspects of jurisdiction and authority in decisions that humans possess. Decisions can only be made from the human point of view, and often this requires something that, it seems, nobody is willing to sacrifice - sacrifice. Abortions should be rare, uncommon, etc., but under certain cases, neccessary.

Abortions should be rare, uncommon, etc., but under certain cases, neccessary.
On medical grounds, absolutely they should be necessary.

And frankly, you'll never stop abortions. Good Christian women have been throwing themselves down flights of stairs and bathing in scalding hot water for centuries to try to abort their unwanted fetuses. Doing it safely and medically is preferable. As for saving lives, I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's a global population problem. Why add to it?

Originally posted by Spider AL

And frankly, you'll never stop abortions. Good Christian women have been throwing themselves down flights of stairs and bathing in scalding hot water for centuries to try to abort their unwanted fetuses.

Interesting point. According the AGI, which I cited in previous post, about 70% of all abortions are conducted by women who consider themselves to be "religious" (either Protestant, Catholic or Jewish). Only around 23% consider themselves "non-religious."

18% of the 70% were so-called "born-again" Protestants.

• 1 month later...

If a child isn't alive when its in the womb, what makes it alive when its out?

breathing? a fetus consumes oxygen and produces carbon dioxide.

movement? babies kick inside the womb.

nervous system? spinal cord and brain tissue are present in fetuses.

independence? every one of us depends on the earth for food and air.

You can't say an unborn child isn't alive, because you truly don't know when life begins. Until you do, don't risk giving an innocent person the death penalty to prevent another person having a 9-month sentence.

Archived