Home

New Ideas For The Game WE ALL WANT

DK_Viceroy

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why am i not suprised that you've claimed credit for my good idea.

The commanders idea is different to the generals system because their won't be generals powers like artillery strike or generals points, because theirs also a choice of taking a secondary commander with limited choices so you cna have precise strategies. also these Commanders won't be horribly crappy or unbalanced.

Viceroy, it's still EA's idea from Generals. Tweaking it a little doesn't make it your idea. Generals Powers and Generals Points are not necessarily part of that system: for the most part we're just talking about the different Generals from Zero Hour who have different strengths and weaknesses.

In fact EA's concept is just a tweak of the major Gods from Age of Mythology. Having a secondary Commander is just a reinterpretation of minor Gods. So really there's nothing too original there.

Well Zero Hour probably wasn't out, and it's the one that's got the Generals system. But even if you only bought AoM 2 months ago, it was still out back then and the idea was still well-known.

At any rate, even if you did think of it before Ensemble, they made it into a game before you, so if it were to be included in the next Star Wars RTS, it would be seen as a rip-off.

Certainly a lot of people look past rip-offs, but others (and especially game reviewers and critics) will fixate on rip-offs to the detriment of the game's success. Such was true with SWGB, for although I think along with many others here that it is one of the best RTS games, the fact it is so similar aesthetically to Age of Kings bacame a big issue with some gamers and in particular some reviewers. This is why SWGB isn't given the respect it deserves.

Here's an idea I've been thinking about a little bit. Essentially it's a hybrid of the Generals system and minor civs ideas.

What if, in addition to choosing a "pure" force, you could choose to run an allied force. What this would mean is you could choose from a short list of allies for each civ and you get to use them in the game. You'll lose some of your units as a result for balance reasons, but it could create some interesting battles, and also move towards what we see in the movies.

So you could choose from the four "vanilla" factions: Rebels, Empire, Republic, Separatists. Or alternatively, you select one of their allies to go with you. The allies would be like this:

Rebel Alliance

Vanilla - no allies, get access to all Rebel units

Wookiees - lose some of the Rebel units for Wookiee units

Mon Calamari - lose some of the Rebel units for Mon Calamari units

Empire

Vanilla - no allies, get access to all Rebel units

Hutt Cartel - lose some of the Imperial units for Cartel units

Trandoshans - lose some of the Imperial units for Trandoshan units

Republic

Vanilla - no allies, get access to all Republic units

Naboo - lose some of the Republic units for Naboo units

Gungans - lose some of the Republic units for Gungan units

Separatists

Vanilla - no allies, get access to all Separatist units

Geonosians - lose some of the Separatist units for Geonosian units

Trade Federation? - perhaps Separatists could just be the Confederacy, with the option to take the Trade Federation as an ally but lose some of the Confederacy units?

It's an idea at least but I can quite easily see the Confederacy getting Geonosain units anyway quite normally especially in terms of fighters since a game without the Nantex class fighter and other units which are true to the confedreacies style would certainly ruffle my feathers as well as some of the purists feathers.

Archived