Is AOTC too mushy  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is AOTC too mushy

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was pretty embarrassing, which is strange really beacuse the ESB romance was handled pretty well. But saying that, Anakin is no Han Solo.

It also ruins Obi-Wan's and Jango's fight as the scenes each side of this are some soppy rubbish that seems to be straight out of a 12 year old girls diary.

There was a huge "cheese" factor that if removed, might have made the romance more believable.

The other thing that really got me was how poorly acted the funeral scene was.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, but it was far from being everything that it could have been.

I voted NO, as the movie had to have the romance in it to carry the story foreward.

But there was a definate "cheese" factor as Achillies pointed out that everything with Aniken and Padme's romance would have been better had it been removed.

EP2:AOTC is a solid Star Wars movie, it just sadly missed it's mark in a few places.

it was necessary, eventhough it was cringe worthy at times.

GL had to show how anakin and padme got to together and had children, plus as we'll seen in Ep III, how it adds to anakin's downfall.

the idea is to show how anakin's decisions cause him to go over to the darkside. but those decisions would be the same as anyone would make. for insistence if your mother was killed and you were able to take revenge i think most would. same with if you fell in love with someone, and even though it was forbidden, you would still act on your feelings.

Originally posted by Siv

it was necessary, eventhough it was cringe worthy at times.

GL had to show how anakin and padme got to together and had children, plus as we'll seen in Ep III, how it adds to anakin's downfall.

the idea is to show how anakin's decisions cause him to go over to the darkside. but those decisions would be the same as anyone would make. for insistence if your mother was killed and you were able to take revenge i think most would. same with if you fell in love with someone, and even though it was forbidden, you would still act on your feelings.

No doubt that it was necessary. It just would've been nice to see it more artfully executed.

Originally posted by Lynk Former

Exactly. If it wasn't so damn cheesy and all AotC would've been a hellova lot better.

Well, TPM seemed to be geared toward the kiddies and AoTC seemed to be geared towared teens, so I'm hoping that RoTS is where we get to see some quality, good old fashioned Star Wars. Somehow I feel like I'm setting myself up to be disappointed :c3po::r2d2:

I really don't mind mushyness in movies. I understand that mushy-ness is required in Star Wars to show how Anakin and Padme got together and pop out Luke and Leia but.... jeez, did they really have to make the scenes so bad?

The dialogue was more suited towards droids than anything. ESB had such good romance because it was written by a good writer. Lucas... is not a good writer. He has vision but he should tell this vision to actually good writers and let them make a screenplay. If it's statisfactory for Lucas, then great. But I think he shuoldn't have tried to do all this by himself. Atleast, get some advice from a romance writer.

Originally posted by Achilles

No doubt that it was necessary. It just would've been nice to see it more artfully executed.

Agreed! :D The dialogues between Anakin and Padme sounded like they were written by a 12 yr old (If you are 12 please don't be offended by that).

Originally posted by Darth Dex

lol, I'm offended! :mad: I don't think it was too much, but it wasn't great.

When you see "too much" enough times, you learn to recognize it. Shortly thereafter you become tired of it.

I understand GL's need to build a history behind Luke and Leia's parents but it almost seems as though he would have been better off making it an "accidental" love story. There were a couple of time in AoTC's that Anakin started to freak me out a little.

oh come on, you can't tell me when you were a teen you didn't say the stupidest, cheesiest crap to your gf/love interst.

That said, It was a bit heavy handed sometimes, but I think the cheesyness brought out the fact that they are still young and foolhardy. This best set in example by Anakins sand speech.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

oh come on, you can't tell me when you were a teen you didn't say the stupidest, cheesiest crap to your gf/love interst.

That said, It was a bit heavy handed sometimes, but I think the cheesyness brought out the fact that they are still young and foolhardy. This best set in example by Anakins sand speech.

You do have a point InsaneSith, and you are right. I guess it was just silly to our... older... ears. :D

Everything "mushy" was necessary, but I think that what was said was what had to be said. That's how the relationship between Anakin and Padme had to evolve, and it did have to evolve. Even if I dread the fireplace scene, it's still necessary and I appreciate it's significance to the plot and the course of the romance within the entire Saga.

And if I were to say that there was too much romance in AOTC, I must also say that it was well balanced. For every second of so called "mushy" there's at least a second of superb, butt kicking awesomeness.

Originally posted by Dio

My biggest complaint is how Anakin delivered his lines. Infact, I just don't like Hayden's voice. It just doesn't sound... deep or raspy enough. Heh, James Earl Jones did an amazing job.

I'd take Hayden's acting over Jake Lloyd's any day.

YIPPEE!

Archived