Home

Which scenes are changed on the DVDs, and how?

Doomie

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by fatrix2001

Complete changes:

Episode IV: A New Hope DVD:

* LightSabers altered for Vader verus Ben Kenobi Death Star duel.

* TractorBeam control now in Aurebesh.

* Han and Greedo scene slightly changed (everyone's seen this).

* Jabba the Hutt redone from Special Edition Jabba.

* Boba Fett still mugs camera.

* Han still steps on tail, "You're a wonderful human being," still there.

(The scene is an improvement over the SE, but still not great.)

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

* Emperor replaced with Ian McDiarmid.

Dialogue in this scene has been slightly modified, indicating either that the Emperor knows it was Luke who nuked the Death Star, or that he is Vader's son. Maybe both (source was unclear). Otherwise, dialogue remains in tact. Emperor's theme from Jedi also added into the scene.

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi:

* Hayden Christenson has replaced Sebastian Shaw only in the Force Ghost shot.

* Line about Leia remembering her mother while talking to Luke on the Ewok Village veranda has either been omitted, or modified.

* Naboo has been added to the final planetary celebration montage at the end of the movie. It is a shot very similar to the helicopter shot of Theed in TPM when AATs are moving up the street towards the palace

If they replaced Sebastian Shaw with Haydn Christensen, why didn't they replace Alec Guinness with Ewan Macgregor?

If they are going to make gimmicky changes, they should at least be consistent - that's my only problem. The rest of the changes are probably for the best.

Don't get your panties in a twist, so they replaced Shaw with Christensen, it's not the end of the world, if you wanna watch the original OT then go and cuddle upto your old remastered vhs copy and don't bother buying the DVD boxset then ;)

You can't sit there, bitch about one change then say the rest are for the best. And wtf, you're going a bit over the top (a bit? XD) with the replacing alec guinness with ewan macgreggor thing dontcha think. :dozey: Like I said, don't get your panties in a twist over it, I can see the reason why Lucas wanted to change that bit because Anakin really did cease to exist when he became Darth Vader and that was at the time of RotS. So it's only fitting to have his ghost represent the young Anakin before he became the dark lord.

Don't get my panties in a twist?

I'm not the one going off on one.

All I asked was a simple question - I don't understand why only Anakin and not Obi-Wan?

I'm not having a go at GL or anything and reading all the other changes, I think they'd be cool AND I think having a younger Anakin is cool - it shows Luke that his father was once a young Jedi and would also be a warning to Luke about the dark path a young, headstrong Jedi can take.

I'm just wondering why it doesn't show Obi-wan in his prime as well.

The reason i'm having confusion is that i'm not what the ghosts of the Jedi are meant to represent - do they show the Jedi as they were when they died? Do they show them in their prime?

The point you made regarding Anakin ceasing to exist when he became Darth Vader is a valid one, but I thought the whole point of the OT was to show his redemption and return to the light.

Actually, I do beg your pardon - Anakin's spirit ceased to exist when he became Darth Vader, so it would make sense that his light side spirit is still young looking.

My apologies - i'm just a bit slow this morning.

But I really can't stress enough that I do not have any problems with any of the changes and I shall be purchasing a copy as soon as it comes out.

Also, on a side note, i've mentioned in another thread about the old Star Wars CD-Rom "Behind the magic". This contains some deleted scenes of Luke and Biggs at Tosche Station just before Biggs joins the rebellion.

Does anyone know if these scenes will be included as an extra on the DVD's? The quality of the video on the cd-rom is pretty appalling

Ghosts obviously don't have a physical body, I guess they simply chose how they want to appear to someone. Obi-Wan Wouldn't want to appear as his young self as Luke wouldn't recognize him. On the other hand, Anakin wouldn't want to apear as as sith, so he probably chose to look like he did before he went to the dark side.

Originally posted by Codja X

Also, on a side note, i've mentioned in another thread about the old Star Wars CD-Rom "Behind the magic". This contains some deleted scenes of Luke and Biggs at Tosche Station just before Biggs joins the rebellion.

Does anyone know if these scenes will be included as an extra on the DVD's? The quality of the video on the cd-rom is pretty appalling

Most likely, the OT DVD release is supposed to be the ultimate release for the OT.

Don't get my panties in a twist?

I'm not the one going off on one.

excuse me?

@ coupe: well said XD

Originally posted by Codja X

If they replaced Sebastian Shaw with Haydn Christensen, why didn't they replace Alec Guinness with Ewan Macgregor?

If they are going to make gimmicky changes, they should at least be consistent - that's my only problem. The rest of the changes are probably for the best.

well see the thing is, He ceased to be anakin once he became Vader, and was corrupted by the darkside, thus when he returns to the light, he comes back the way he was when he left the light *shrugs*. Obi-Wan though, was always a jedi and grew old that way. Thus he stayed in his old form as a ghost. Also Vader was more machine than man, so... I dunno.

most of the changes, i think, are for the best.

but i'm in two minds about the young anakin ghost.

its true that once anakin became vader, as obi-wan said, he ceased to be anakin skywalker. however when luke takes off vader's helmet at the end of ROTJ (when vader has been redeemed and is now once again anakin) it's Sebastian Shaw's face he sees. so it only makes sense that when he sees anakin's ghost it's the same.

i wont be compaining if they do change it to hayden, but it would seem a bit odd too me.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by joesdomain

I just thought the guy who did the original emperor in The Empire Strikes Back just didn't do a good job as Ian! He needed to be replaced with Ian's face to be match the other films.

Well, the emperor in ESB was originally played by a women if I'm not mistaking. And of course nobody could play Ian as good as Ian :p

I do agree that this needed to be changed for continuity (sp?) purposes.

Archived