Home

Which scenes are changed on the DVDs, and how?

Doomie

Interesting.

How has Vader's voice been altered? Or do you just mean in a certain scene or scenes?

Remember Vader's voice sounds different in ANH from the other two movies because they hadn't gotten Vader's character nuances down yet (you can tell this because of the Special Edition added line in ESB "prepare my star destroyer for my arrival" ... the line sounds different from the other lines in ESB & ROTJ, because it's an unused line from ANH; this line replaces the old ESB line "bring my shuttle" which was spoken in the regular ESB voice). It's still James Earl Jones, just that the voice inflection is different in the 1980's movies than in 1977.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the new DVD's and I have the 1997 Special Editions on tape. I meant that I don't own copies of the ORIGINALS (1977-1983) to see how its been changed.

If you mean it's been changed since the 1997 SE's, then I should be able to make it out.

I have NOT watched all three movies straight through, only skipped around and watched the bonus materials and audio commentaries, so I could have missed something.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Update: You're right, it's subtle, but definately different. I'll have to re-watch the scene in question to see which one they used (I assume it's the first one on your mp3 file there). I wonder if that's an alternate take or a re-recording?

Edit: Okay after listening to them, it sounds like the first "take" on that mp3 is the one they used on the DVD. It's not just Vader's voice, but the entire track sounds "lighter" in the first version, but more muffled (or more bassy in the second). I'm not sure what it is, if they just cleaned up the sound or if it's an almost perfect alternate take.

Edit 2: After listening to more of the lines I think it's just the soundtrack in general. Some of the lines are treble boosted so they sound cleaner but hissier than before. So the "muffled" lines sound better, but the lines that were fine before sound odd.

I see the finally added some actual online exclusive content for DVD owners:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/news/2004/09/news20040924.html

(Previously all we got was a list of cast & crew and brief plot synopsies for the movies... the rest were direct links to Starwars.com and the usual databank entries on that site).

I'm not a huge fan of "exclusive online content" but hey, it's something. I haven't gone through the stuff for Episode I & II yet and I own those. As long as they plan to keep them up indefinately I can always check 'em out later.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a couple questions about the SW DVD's:

-in ROTJ, when Luke takes Darth Vaders mask off, why did they take Vaders eye brows out?...maybe that imply's something for episode III.

-in ESB, I like that they redid palpatine, but why does he look even older than in ROTJ?

-Why did they put Gungans in the DVD's?

Originally posted by ramy

I have a couple questions about the SW DVD's:

-in ROTJ, when Luke takes Darth Vaders mask off, why did they take Vaders eye brows out?...maybe that imply's something for episode III.

-in ESB, I like that they redid palpatine, but why does he look even older than in ROTJ?

-Why did they put Gungans in the DVD's?

1) Supposedly this will be explained in Episode III. Right now people are speculating that Anakin's eyebrows are "burned off." To me, it makes him look like a cancer patient (chemotherapy makes your hair fall out). But even then you'd think it would grow back.

We'll see...

2) Because the actor is physically older now than he was in 1983. I don't think he looks too bad, and after all, supposedly ESB takes place only 6 months to a year before ROTJ in the SW timeline. Maybe he was just sick that day. ; )

3) Lucas inserted Naboo into the ending celebration of ROTJ because, due to the prequels, that planet has become quite prominent in the overall story (Palpatine and Padme's home planet, the catalyst for Palpy's rise to power and the beginning of the Clone Wars, etc). And since Gungans live on Naboo, it makes sense that we'd see one or two of 'em. The two cultures (the humans and the gungans) shunned each other in TPM, but by the end their relationship had thawed due to their being forced to help one another against the common foe, the Trade Federation. So apparently this relationship has been maintained for almost 40 years, so seeing Gungans in the capital city is not unheard of.

One thing that always bugged me in ESB has finally been corrected !

At one point when Han, Leia and company flee into the asteroid field, we see a shot from the cockpit where two asteroids collide in a big flash. In all the other version prior to the DVDs, the cockpit's position changed dramatically in the screen. Now it stays exactly at the same place and I'm pretty hapy about it, even if it's only a very minor correction.

However, one thing they have changed that bugs me, is the fact that they have overly saturated the scenes with Yoda. I suppose they did this to make him look even greener like in the prequels, but by doing so, Luke's shirt also looks green so do the trees in the background.

Perhaps the original "cockpit shot" was reversed (a couple of those appear in the film and at least one was modified to look correct.. ie: swapping the insignias on the Imperial officer's uniforms).

As to the green stuff, it looks like in general the greens and blues of the film HAVE been saturated more.

I would chalk that up to the "restoration" process. Perhaps they ended up undersaturated and were digitally "enhanced" to have more color, or maybe they were that way "all along" and we were just used to seeing the faded version (sort of like Vader appearing a bit blue in the old versions).

Archived