Home

Doom vs Dark Forces

Katarn07

Doom or Dark Forces?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Doom or Dark Forces?

• Doom
    • Dark Forces

Doom 3 has come out and it doesn't look to be anything like I hoped. I plan on getting it eventually or maybe I'll just rent it for the XBOX. Haven't decided. All in all, JO/ JA seem like much superior sequels.

But what of the original Doom when compared to DF? Which did you prefer playing back in the day?

Doom was better for jumping in, blasting some daemons for 5-10 minutes and basically getting a quick fix.

Dark Forces was more in depth - you'd make a point of sitting down and playing it for a good couple of hours. The research base (I think it was level 4 - the one where you sneak through the canyons and go down an airshaft into the base) is still one of the best levels of any game ever made.

Possibly?

It certainly added a lot of tension to the games - as you're reaching the end of the level, your health is looking low and a phase 1 Dark Trooper pops out:

Aaaaaaaaaarrrgggghhhh!!!

I really did poop myself the 1st time that happened. The atmosphere of the game really sucked you in. DF2: Jedi Knight was the last in the series that made you feel like you were in that world.

Doom is more of a shooting gallery than an in depth proper adventure. I still say that Doom's shotgun is the best weapon in any game ever!

I grew up on DF. It was my first game that wasn't bundled with my PC. I grew up on the controls and the save system and actually have no complaints with any of it even when I replay it to this day.

Originally posted by Codja X

DF2: Jedi Knight was the last in the series that made you feel like you were in that world.

I ain't going to bash JO anymore, but I agree that and even JA which I thought was much better (save for the length) didn't even do justice to the darkness of the originals. But Mysteries of the Sith was just as dark as DF and JK. If you don't have it, get it.

That Phase 1 coming was one of the best things ever in a game also. I remember me and a friend trying to play it together over the phone and I stumbled across him first. It scared the crap outta me. I dropped the phone and the batteries flew out the back.

Did Doom have any scary moments like that or was it monsters being turned to blood and gore?

[q]

That Phase 1 coming was one of the best things ever in a game also. I remember me and a friend trying to play it together over the phone and I stumbled across him first. It scared the crap outta me. I dropped the phone and the batteries flew out the back.

[/q]

:D I was still living at home when I played this and when my parents heard me should "F*CKING HELL" they thought i'd badly hurt myself or something and came in to see what was the matter. Good times:)

Doom was pretty scary, but in a more grotesque horror rather than suspenseful. The one thing that made Doom scary was the sound - you could here a Cyberdemon for ages before you saw it and when it did appear it was like:

"Oh Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!" as you run away backwards empting all your ammunition into it. This was quite a regular occurance though. With Dark Forces, you heard the noises of the Dark Troopers through the breifing on level 2 and it gradually built up the suspense over several levels until BOOM!

This metal endo-skeleton thing with glowing red eyes and a massive blade comes jumping at you, your blaster fire just bouncing off his sheild as you run away from it, frantically trying to find the key for the rocket launcher. Good stuff!

I liked MoTS a lot, especially towards the end in the Sith temple - completely dark (in atmosphere as well as literally) - you get a true feeling that this is someplace evil and completely impregnated with the dark side.

That for me was one of the biggest let downs in JA - the final mission on Korriban and its the old mausoleam [sic] of Marka Ragnos AND IT'S A NICE SUNNY DAY! Hardly suspense building!

But back on topic - I love Star Wars, DF drips in SW atmosphere and therefore I do prefer it.

Originally posted by Codja X

That for me was one of the biggest let downs in JA - the final mission on Korriban and its the old mausoleam [sic] of Marka Ragnos AND IT'S A NICE SUNNY DAY! Hardly suspense building!

I was sorely disappointed with Korriban's appearance. I was hoping it would be like Mordor from Lord of the Rings, with nothing but blasted volcanic rock, magma lakes, towering black obelisks and spires and a toxin-choked black sky. There was also no grotesque guardian creatures corrupted by the Dark side's influence. Heck, they could've at least put a rancor or two in there. The whole "Egyptian archeological dig" theme didn't really work for me.

Korriban appears in a very similar way in Knights of the Old Republic - like an old dig, but the crypts themselves are very creepy, which more than makes up for it.

The strange thing I find is even though DF was in VGA, blocky, lo-res graphics, it still made you feel like you were in the Star Wars universe. The very same point can be made for the 1st X-wing game as well. You weren't playing a game - you were there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't played Doom before, but if I had after playing DF, I would've just gone back to DF. Wasn't DF the first game where you could actually look up and down to some degree at least? In Doom the enemy placement wasn't 3D, it was from the front or back or the sides. The most revolutionary gaming moment I remember from playing DF was the first level (Secbase) when I got shot by a stormie from the room above me. I can't wait for the DF JA mod to come out. 3 level demo in 3 weeks *prays* to bring DF into the world with better graphics!

Doom had multiplayer (although back in the day it was difficult or expensive to line up an actual game unless you were lucky enough to have a home lan).

On the other hand Dark Forces was a deeper game (and harder too). You could jump, aim (up and down anyway), crouch, and all the weapons had secondary fire modes. Plus there were some 3-D objects.

DF and Doom both had extensive mod communities and tons of free mods to download.

On the other hand in the modern day, Doom & Doom2 have the source ports and other things and now full internet play (Doomconnector for example) free.

Dark Forces on the other hand really hasn't improved any since that time. There are still a lot of mods, but the addons for Doom can make the game have almost modern graphics.

It really would be cool if LucasArts would either release the source for DF or else a patch for 3D acceleration, higher res, etc. like they did for a few of their other games (X-Wing, TIE Fighter, XvT, Outlaws). And maybe even a multiplayer patch (rumor has it that multiplayer was worked on for the game, though no idea how far along it was or if the code even still exists).

Overall both are fun games to play, but with DF you're stuck with the primitive graphics, there's no way to improve them (though the Mac version I'm told is a bit easier on the jaded modern eyes).

You're right, I should have said "half the weapons."

Fists didn't have a different secondary fire either.

It wasn't until MotS that they truly had a second firing mode (or option) for each weapon (and some had more than 2, though like in the case of the ST Rifle you had to get the scope for that to happen).

Secondary fire modes were a new thing back then.

Codja X

Doom was better for jumping in, blasting some daemons for 5-10 minutes and basically getting a quick fix.

I must agree. Doom gave you something that no other game really ever has. It was refreshing to get a quick fix of mindless destruction and killing. I done blowed up $#!^ lots of times, and yet Doom never grew old for me.

Dark Forces, albeit vastly superior in every concievable manner, never truly supplied that in the same way.

But because I'm a total freak with Star Wars, DF has my vote for better game overall.

DF was better than doom in the respect that, df was a great storyline driven game. Unlike doom, df had a gradual evolution of a fantastic story. Doom was just ready, set, frag..with the only evolution being the degree of difficulty. The best fps comparison should not be doom v df, but Duke Nukem vs Dark Forces. Both games had great characters, complicated levels with secret areas, and were story driven. Duke was also a direct rip-off of Bruce Campbell's character of "ASH" from the Evil Dead movies, which made him ultra cool. DF was STAR WARS...'nuff said. Doom doesn't even deserve being mentioned in the same saentece with DF from this day forward. Long live Ash and Kyle...Hail to the King baby!!!!

• 1 month later...

In it's day, Doom was THE game. The demo was widely available as shareware on bulletin boards way before the internet was widely used. I downloaded it on a 2400 baud modem. Wow, how times have changed!

I remember there was a Star Wars Doom mod, and the stormtroopers and Darth Vaders replaced the demons. They still growled.

But when Dark Forces came out, in my mind, it blew Doom away!!!

Hi,

I'm kind of dissapointed. I first played DF about 1 year ago (I'm a late bloomer as far as gaming goes!), but I wasn't even startled when the first phase trooper appeared. I guess I'm just spoiled.....

The game that scared me spitless was MOTS when you first see the statues come alive at the sith temple. When that happend I just about screamed. What with the living statues, the vornskrs, and undead guardians, those last few levels were terrifying.

I'm just hoping that I can still play the classics like those when I get my new computer!

The Saxman

• 8 months later...

It really would be cool if LucasArts would either release the source ...

I doubt that LucasArts has ever released any core source code of their games. What games are you refering to? Ballblazer, Koronis Rift or Eidolon? Lol.

We are talking about Luca$Arts and not idsoftware, right? So you have to pay a $hitload of money if you want to see any sources.

Archived