Home

Doom vs Dark Forces

Katarn07

Doom or Dark Forces?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Doom or Dark Forces?

• Doom
    • Dark Forces

Dark Forces was the first game to introduce a lot of new stuff. Like jumping, spiral staircases, secondary fire modes, you have to actually use some weapons mindfully in order to solve some puzzles, slippery floors, mission goals.

The interaction level in DF was never seen untill then, which combined with a rich SW ambiance made the game a very immersive experience.

I think the show that DF caused on most of us comes from the fact that we never played something like it before.

I hardly find as much pleasure on playing games now than I did back then, when every new game presented us a new experience.

If we include source ports into this vs. thread then I deffinitly prefer Doom to DF. The source ports add mouse aiming and improved graphics, even 3d models if you wish.

If we're talking about when they were first released? It's a bit of an unfair comparison. DF came out... what? 2 Years after Doom? I prefer Doom in that it gives you more visceral constant 1,000 against 1 action, yet I prefer Dark Forces for all of the more modern gameplay aspects. Things like actual objectives beyond reaching the end of the level, cut scenes and a large arsenal of weapons. The AI was also very good in DF for it's time. You could sneak through dark areas without the enemy noticing but boom, turn on your light and you give your position away.

I think the biggest turn off for me was the lives and no saving feature. It felt to much like super marios. Doom was a big step in making you feel like you were in the game by only giving you a single life.

BTW, has anyone modded DF so that you can save your game? Would be very cool.

Katarn07, Doom 3 isn't so much a sequel as remake of the original Doom. Doom 3 is an amazing game, but fans of the original dooms who expect the same gameplay will be disapointed. Doom 3 is a horror game with a slow methodical pace where you never fight more than 3-5 enemies at once. A big turn off for those who remember the rooms full of enemies in the originals. It's still an awesome game especially if you have a rig that can handle it.

Dark Forces, it had much more depth than Doom and since it's Star Wars, instant win. Don't get me wrong though, I enjoyed Doom and Doom II (I disliked Final Doom and haven't bothered with Doom 3) but they were rather flat games with simple level design and even simpler gameplay.

The storyline was practically non existant in Doom while Dark Forces had a solid storyline that flowed well with the gameplay. Every mission was important to the storyline and drew you into a dark world while every Doom and Doom II level had nothing to do with the plot and was just there. This isn't usually a problem for me, for example Unreal is one of my favorite FPS' and it's levels rarely have anything to do with the plot but having mostly plot relevant levels is a plus. Another level problem, the levels in the Doom series are much too brief, even for their age. You can finish Doom Episode 1 in fifteen minutes or less on Nightmare, and that's about eight levels not counting the bonus one.

Doom was great back in the day and I loved it back then but these days it's a rather shallow game and there's no real point in playing it anymore except for nostalgia or trying out those wonderful mods that make it fully 3D. 3D mods or not, Dark Forces is a solid game that brought many things to the genre and tells a solid story at the same time and every level was an unforgettable experience for me. I can't say the same for Doom despite the fact that I liked it when I played it because I've forgotten almost every level entirely and the kicker is I replayed both Doom and Doom II with the 3D model mods just last year.

• 1 month later...

And on that note...

Well, since I apparantly voted on this poll somewhere in time, I guess I'll just add my 2 eurocents.

Let me start by saying that I think DooM was id's finest hour and that I still play the game (and its sequel) through either the Legacy or jDoom/Doomsday ports.

That said, Dark Forces is my clear favourite.

For one thing, it was the one that got me into PC gaming.

Sitting on a shop shelf, DF was originally just another item to add to my "wanted birthday gifts" list back in March '96.

Having played the first level a few days later though, I was hooked and remained hooked to FPS games in general and Star Wars related action games in particular for a good few years.

Secondly, DF added so much to the DooM formula that it's an unbelievable shame its role in the evolution of the FPS genre has been so overlooked.

Consider the following:

- DF has a story, that plays out in both the in-game cutscenes and the gameplay, with real characters

- DF contains mission based gameplay, with objectives to complete

- There is more environmental interactivity, some of it puzzle oriented

- Each mission plays out against a different environment, with a unique dominating colour scheme for each planet

- The game provides an inventory, with tools to use in a variety of circumstances

- Some of the weapons have secondary firemodes

- DF's world design resembles believable locations and architecture, much more so than DooM's

- Jan Ors adds a feeling of comradery and also provides a lot of tension in the Imperial City level

- The final level of DF culminates in a much more exciting end fight than the one in DooM (where you can just blast the boss enemies from afar IIRC)

- More variety in movement: vertical look/aim, crouching, jumping, I think even (mine) explosion based jumping is possible

There's probably more, but this is what comes to mind right now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hell yes to DF!

I was sorely disappointed with Korriban's appearance. I was hoping it would be like Mordor from Lord of the Rings, with nothing but blasted volcanic rock, magma lakes, towering black obelisks and spires and a toxin-choked black sky. There was also no grotesque guardian creatures corrupted by the Dark side's influence. Heck, they could've at least put a rancor or two in there. The whole "Egyptian archeological dig" theme didn't really work for me.

Now that would've been cool, at least have some of the locals come to life while you're trying to get out of the catacombs.

• 3 months later...

Dark Forces was actually the first full FPS game that I played.

I got an Intel system pretty late, probably around 2000 or so, so I missed out on all the "classics". When I got my system, my friend put a bunch of demos on it, Half-Life Day 1, Jedi Knight, Heavy Gear II, etc. Before that, I'd played Doom for all of about 2 minutes and DF for maybe 5 minutes at a friend's house. (not because I didn't like them, but because I didn't want to be rude and hog his computer)

I loved the demo for Jedi Knight and immediately bought a copy off eBay, MOTS included, but I didn't want to play it until I'd played DF first. I finally got a copy, installed it on my W98 system and played through the whole game. I would have preferred true mouse control, like more modern games, but I ended up using a joystick in place of the mouse. I was never once bored or felt like I was wasting my time. After finishing it, I moved on to the later Jedi games, which I also enjoyed.

A couple years ago, I decided to play Doom/Doom 2. First I tried playing the originals, but they just seemed too primitive, plus they kept crashing on me. I then downloaded a copy of JDoom and used that to play through the games with full mouse control. Before I was even halfway though the first game, I started to get bored. All the levels started to look the same after a while. I eventually finished both games, but it started to become more of a chore than a game.

Recently I played through Heretic using JHeretic and I started to get the same feeling about halfway through. The novelty of the various creatures wears off and then it's just trudging through similar levels killing dozens of identical creatures.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even with modern ports and full mouse control, Doom still gets boring, while DF holds my interest from start to finish.

• 4 months later...

I think DooM was better for Marchin' in and killin' while DF was better for a good story. DooM, to me, did not even have a story line. I still like DooM better but I have only played the DF demos.

I still play DooM and DF2(demo) with my brother. Mostly DooM legacy. Is anyone up for a match of some DooM deathmatch?

All in all I enjoyed DooM better. And for those who say that DooM does not support up and down looking, it does with most source ports. Like Legacy and DoomsDay, JDRP, Risen3D (Which I never got to try).

I think DooM was better for Marchin' in and killin' while DF was better for a good story. DooM, to me, did not even have a story line. I still like DooM better but I have only played the DF demos.

I still play DooM and DF2(demo) with my brother.

You should play the full DF games. There are some nice levels in both, and some great moments in DF2. Like having to move around a roof while TIE bombers are dropping bombs on you, or finding your way off a crashing ship that's tilted at about a 45 degree angle while crates and things slide around.

All in all I enjoyed DooM better. And for those who say that DooM does not support up and down looking, it does with most source ports. Like Legacy and DoomsDay, JDRP, Risen3D (Which I never got to try).

Developement on Risen3D may have stopped, but you can still download the last version that was released. I don't have the URL handy, but I know they put up pages to download it from.

I would say that Dark Forces and Jedi Academy are the best. They're just so uber cool!! :twogun::nod:

Yes they are, but you can't deny that the DOOM series has had a lasting legacy on the gaming industry, as DOOM lead to QUAKE which is now one of the biggest names in the FPS gaming world with the release of the impressive QUAKE 4 - still you can't use lightsabers in this which is always fun! Out of the JK series, my fav. is definately Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes they are, but you can't deny that the DOOM series has had a lasting legacy on the gaming industry, as DOOM lead to QUAKE which is now one of the biggest names in the FPS gaming world with the release of the impressive QUAKE 4 - still you can't use lightsabers in this which is always fun! Out of the JK series, my fav. is definately Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast.

Quake 4 was actualy a very good game. Because it utilised the Doom3 engine so well. Plus the story of your character playing as a marine who was in an asylum was also very good.

Anyway Doom 3 was also a good game. But the original doom games really did it for me. But DF1 and 2 actualy had a STORY. So that is what I would have to settle with

• 4 weeks later...

Dark Forces, as I wasted many an hour on that game. I've played several versions of Doom back when I still had a Mac. DF was also first game I ever remember using mods with, which was kinda nice b/c there were only something like 14 levels in the original game.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived