Home

SCUMM VM question

woodenstool

In the FAQ, it says:

"You can find it on the download section on our homepage. You can download the latest version, which could be a little old. For the most recent cutting-edge in-development version, you have to compile it yourself from CVS or use the 'daily builds' linked from our download page."

So this means, we need a sufficent amount of programing knowledge/experience? I've not heard of such things as "compiling" or "CVS", and i don't really get entering command lines. Do we need to know these things to correctly use SCUMMVM? Yeah, i know quick and easy is out there, but we have to get the main SCUMM VM to work first, right?

You can just install Q&E in the same directory as ScummVM and you're ready to go. I believe - and I'm sure benny will correct me if I'm wrong - that you even can just install Q&E and click the 'Daily Build' button to get ScummVM.

Originally posted by woodenstool

In the FAQ, it says:

"You can find it on the download section on our homepage. You can download the latest version, which could be a little old. For the most recent cutting-edge in-development version, you have to compile it yourself from CVS or use the 'daily builds' linked from our download page."

So this means, we need a sufficent amount of programing knowledge/experience? I've not heard of such things as "compiling" or "CVS", and i don't really get entering command lines. Do we need to know these things to correctly use SCUMMVM? Yeah, i know quick and easy is out there, but we have to get the main SCUMM VM to work first, right?

No, you don't need any programming knowledge to use ScummVM, you can download pre-compiled binaries from the ScummVM-site. Just go to the download-section and look under 0.6.1 Release binaries for the latest official release, or if you want to download the latest CVS version (compiled daily from the latest source code) look under CVS Builds. The daily builds are however more likely to contain bugs than the release version.

so i only need to d/l the first one on the list right? windows installer? And once the program is installed, i can immediately d/l the quick and easy? will scummvm or quick and easy show up on my add/remove programs list? How can i uninstall it?

and the purpose of quick and easy is so that i don't have to type any command lines and such?

Sorry for being so paranoid, but i'm paranoid.

Yes, you just download the first one on the list (assuming you are a Windows user). Quick & Easy is not included but you don't *need* it to use ScummVM. ScummVM has a built-in "front-end" which easily lets you run the games without any command line-usage.

Additionally, read the readme.

Archived