Home

The Official Doom3 Thread

RpTheHotrod

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just got the pc version a week or so ago. (couldn't get it at the time because my graphics card wasn't up to it, and i'd been waiting for the price to drop)

I have to say i'm not that impressed so far. The graphics were pretty amazing for the first 20 miutes or so, but its amazing how quickly the amazment wears off.

I played it for a few evenings, then forgot about it and went back to playing invisible war on the xbox.

Usually I get obsessed with games and play them through to the finish (even the rubbish anoying ones) so the fact that i just kind of forgot about it isnt a great sign. Maybe i'll try playing it again tonight... and maybe it'll get better as it goes. But I suspect the level design and setting is going to remain the same throughout, so there won't be much variation there.

I played it the night I got it, and it was scary. In fact the game had me so wound up, I couldn't get to sleep. I been forcing myself not to play it, just so I can get to sleep at night. Not too difficult of a game to learn, and it doesn't take very long until all hell breaks loose.....literally. The graphics are impressive, but if you own Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay, like I do, you have seen these graphics before.

I have yet to play Co-op on live yet, but I am sure it will be butter.

The original versions of Doom are there, but there is no jump on the original Dooms. Also, the repetitous music on those games is extremely annoying.

Originally posted by Darth Groovy

The original versions of Doom are there, but there is no jump on the original Dooms.

If you want to play the original doom you can download jDoom, it has 3d models for all the mosters etc, detal textures, dynamic lights, mouselook and jump. you just need the origonal .wad

Originally posted by toms

I just got the pc version a week or so ago. (couldn't get it at the time because my graphics card wasn't up to it, and i'd been waiting for the price to drop)

I have to say i'm not that impressed so far. The graphics were pretty amazing for the first 20 miutes or so, but its amazing how quickly the amazment wears off.

I played it for a few evenings, then forgot about it and went back to playing invisible war on the xbox.

Usually I get obsessed with games and play them through to the finish (even the rubbish anoying ones) so the fact that i just kind of forgot about it isnt a great sign. Maybe i'll try playing it again tonight... and maybe it'll get better as it goes. But I suspect the level design and setting is going to remain the same throughout, so there won't be much variation there.

It gets much better around the Communications levels...the first few levels are somewhat bland compared to the rest of the game. The expansion pack is much better about staying interesting throughout the game...in fact, I'd say it's better than Doom 3. It keeps adding new and interesting things one right after the other, whereas Doom 3 is a bit more drawn out.

Here's shot of a large bit of Hell from Resurrection of Evil:

Shot00001.jpg

Still haven't gotten around to going back to doom 3. Finished Invisible War last night so maybe i'll get around to it sometime.

I don't have a clue what level i'm at as so far they have all looked the same and all had names like "alpha" and whatever. Nothing to differentiate them at all.

I've met the Pink "dog" demons, but nothing badder than that.

The problem I have with it is that it doesn't seem to involve much skill (either in terms of twitch gameplay, tactics, planning, weapon choice or anything).

Things pop out so randomly from previously empty areas that it stops being scary and starts being annoying. Plus they tend to appear so close to you that you just end up backtracking and shooting with whatever gun you ave to hand. Reminds me of the annoying bit in the ST elite force demo where borg kept teleporting in right infront of you. That was cheap and annoying too...

Archived