Home

sequel, engine?

TheBlueFlamingo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Kurgan, above all i think the unreal engine is the most solid choice for the next game. We've seen it in action and know what it's capapble of, plus like you said the tools are already there for modding so learning to make levels and the like shouldn't be very hard as there are tutorials out i believe.

The thing i like most is that you don't need a 3+ Ghz computer to run the game and it still looks awesome. Another plus is the big environments you can put into the game and you also can have multiple NPC's without loss of framerate.

Unreal Tech. That would be a great idea, considering it's massive modding resources in comparison to the id line games.

I think it might also be a nice idea to look into the X-Ray engine, the foundation for Stalker. It especially improves on the outdoor environments . . . .

sb_xray_12.jpg

I am still very impressed by the model rendering of [i[Doom 3[/i].

hmm, those are some good environments. I like doom 3's models too but they take up too many resources and don't leave a lot of room for much else. I thinka star wars game such as this would need to be on the scope of JK, an example would be Baron's Hed where you have to fight through the city to get to the palace at the middle. That level takes me a while to get through plus killing all the stormtroopers everywhere.

i don't agree that unreal engines have more modding support than others, but the new one blows everything else away.

then again, who knows what carmack will do with his next engine. it could possibly be far better than the new unreal warfare.

TerrainShot.jpg

SoftShadows.jpg

HDRGlow.jpg

Graphics are secondary to gameplay but game engines have come far and there are many out there that can do what the q3 engine did and better. Unreal 2's engine, for instance.

Yeah when it all comes down to it, that, i think would be the best choice, plus i don't think the graphics look dated yet. Luca$art$ should tap the developers of Republic Commando to do the next Jedi game after they're done. They can use the basic saber system Raven used, though i think it can be enhanced some. Also i think everyone has at least the requirements to play Unreal 2.

I'm not really in for your idea of keeping the JO/JA saber system...

I imagine holding mouse button 1 while pressing left/right/up/down, that should be the basics for performing attacks with your Lightsaber, and I think there should be many combinations.

I just want to see a game where the saber fights look cool, KOTOR is the only one so far I liked the saber moves with... JO and JA are kind of unrealistic.

Aren't JK games always PC-friendly? I mean all of the JK series have been running on every pc and if you take this new Unreal engine, then the title "PC-friendly" will be long gone.

Maybe they should use UT2k4 engine since then, the siege mode will be massed with servers, also UT 2004 engine has a good quality for mod making too.

I imagine holding mouse button 1 while pressing left/right/up/down, that should be the basics for performing attacks with your Lightsaber, and I think there should be many combinations.

That is how the saber system works.

each direction send the saber in a specific direction.

Press left saber moves right to left. From the left postion you can combo into any other direction. Out of seven.

Seven Cardinal Directions, and each direction combo's into the other seven.

I should know, I'm making a new saber style.

I'd love to see it on an engine that'll actually do the lightsaber combat right. Honestly, if a developer can take Doom3 and get it right, good. If they can do it on the Source engine... great. If they can do it on the Cry engine... great! But give us the massive environments, give us the lightsaber combat that actually looks and feels like the movies, and give us a deep storyline (toss in some good physics, too) - with those elements, I'll be happy, no matter which engine it comes on.

If it ever comes. As Kurgan aptly pointed out, it's possible there'll never be another actual "Jedi Knight" series game - which isn't to say there won't be more games of similar style, but the series may well be done...

I think the next Jedi Knight game should be something revolutionary as opposed to a click-move saber system. The game series otherwise doesn't have a great deal else to offer in comparison to other titles.

I always imagined the possibility of a saber system based on mouse movement. The player uses the keyboard , joystick, or other input hardware to move their body physically. The Left button could be used to rotate the saber to the left; the right would do the opposite. Movement of the mouse would be for performance of a swing. The saber system in this sense would be truly dynamic. There would be no special moves. To block from the swing of another lightsaber, the player would have to move the saber to block accordingly. To block from blaster fire, it wouldn't necessarily be "auto-block." The player would have to move the saber into the general direction of the blaster fire, but a determined force sensitivity could allow for an intermediate "auto-block." The saber would move into a more precise position yet would initially require the saber to be in a general block position.

Problems: dual sabers would be impossible.

Go with any engine that could enhance the saber experience. This is a Jedi Knight game after all.. . .

Originally posted by sushiman

Aren't JK games always PC-friendly? I mean all of the JK series have been running on every pc and if you take this new Unreal engine, then the title "PC-friendly" will be long gone.

Maybe they should use UT2k4 engine since then, the siege mode will be massed with servers, also UT 2004 engine has a good quality for mod making too.

thats the unreal engine 3, and it won't be out till late 2005-2006

Originally posted by JDKnite188

I think the next Jedi Knight game should be something revolutionary as opposed to a click-move saber system. The game series otherwise doesn't have a great deal else to offer in comparison to other titles.

I always imagined the possibility of a saber system based on mouse movement. The player uses the keyboard , joystick, or other input hardware to move their body physically. The Left button could be used to rotate the saber to the left; the right would do the opposite. Movement of the mouse would be for performance of a swing. The saber system in this sense would be truly dynamic. There would be no special moves. To block from the swing of another lightsaber, the player would have to move the saber to block accordingly. To block from blaster fire, it wouldn't necessarily be "auto-block." The player would have to move the saber into the general direction of the blaster fire, but a determined force sensitivity could allow for an intermediate "auto-block." The saber would move into a more precise position yet would initially require the saber to be in a general block position.

Problems: dual sabers would be impossible.

Go with any engine that could enhance the saber experience. This is a Jedi Knight game after all.. . .

I actually had a few theories about a system like this in some earlier posts. I thought that the saber should move exactly the way you move the mouse so that if you hold down the left mouse button and do a clockwise or counterclockwise move such as a block, the game would act accordingly. Really the mouse would be the only true movement that would translate into a virtual environment in terms of a sword or saber. So in theory, this would work as a revolutionary idea, however implementing it ingame is another story.

Another idea i had for dual sabers would be to have two mice or mouses but i think moving forward would be too cumbersome so scratch that idea. Unless they implement virtual reality into games, which i think is a ways off.

Originally posted by BloodRiot

I can believe the Havok system is good... but plz don't say that and give Deus Ex 2 as an example... the physics in that game suck a big one.

Er, didn't I use DX2 as a bad use of physics? Maybe I wasn't clear. I do agree that it's poorly done in that game. Shooting someone in the foot can make them fly through the air for example.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

I actually had a few theories about a system like this in some earlier posts. I thought that the saber should move exactly the way you move the mouse so that if you hold down the left mouse button and do a clockwise or counterclockwise move such as a block, the game would act accordingly. Really the mouse would be the only true movement that would translate into a virtual environment in terms of a sword or saber. So in theory, this would work as a revolutionary idea, however implementing it ingame is another story.

Another idea i had for dual sabers would be to have two mice or mouses but i think moving forward would be too cumbersome so scratch that idea. Unless they implement virtual reality into games, which i think is a ways off.

I agree with Tyler, a mouse-controlled saber would be the most realistic way of controlling your lightsaber. It doesnt sound practical, but if they really put effort into it it could become a revolutionary swordfighting engine. I'm not sure how they would integrate movement with saber swinging on the PC, since you would need the mouse to move AND swing your saber, but maybe something like Tyler suggested, hold the mouse button and you move your saber.

My main point, though, is that they should make their OWN engine, instead of using one from another FPS. Espeically since the Jedi Knight series isnt a "traditional" FPS. Sure they're shooting, but a lot of times (multiplayer especially) saber fighting is used more than shooting, so they should create their own engine to reflect that.

Die by the Sword had mouse "sabering".

Its called VSIM developed by Treyarch.

Its also crap. Even a mouse can't convey the precision needed to make it look "realistic".

In essance the JKA system uses the keyboard for its way of "mouse sabering". I beleive most of you just want to create your own combo anims. Not being satisisfied with the current 5 styles of single saber. And dual and staff.

I beleive the blocking needs to be tweaked. That is where you'll get your realism. Currently the blocks seem "hard" impact. Where as in the movies they all seem to have a "soft" impact against each other.

It'd also be nice to have a way of dynamically twirling the saber mid move.

Originally posted by keshire

That is how the saber system works.

each direction send the saber in a specific direction.

Press left saber moves right to left. From the left postion you can combo into any other direction. Out of seven.

Seven Cardinal Directions, and each direction combo's into the other seven.

I should know, I'm making a new saber style.

That's not how I meant, unfortunately I cannot really explain well enough

The way i'd implement attacks is by pressing a combination of buttons along with mouse movement. So if you press up twice on the keyboard along with a straight movement of the mouse plus holding down the left mouse button you would do a lunge. I would keep the blocking system the same but i think a big key to success here would be hit detection so as nothing can be passed through without explanation.

I think that the top part of your lightsaber should be the point in which control is measured so if you move the mouse in small circular patterns the saber would act accordingly making those small circular patterns. Basically the tip of your saber is the little arrow you use the mouse with. I havent played Die by the sword but i would be interested in seeing how they implement their system of sabering and perhaps add or subtract that which is unecessary or benficial to the system. maybe then post ideas on how to better or innovate that system and how it would work in the star wars sense.

Yeah i heard about that, too bad i thought they might have really had something with that. From what i have read it was similar in theory to the ideas that i had posted. I think my imagining this new system actually came from what i read about in some of the interviews for Obi wan when they were prepping it for development on PC. I think someone at Luca$art$ should really look into this, especially with the new management, they could have another potential "greatest game ever" on their hands a la JK.

Now I kinda agree with both of you...

I definitely think the blocking needs to be more movie-like, as keshire said, but i think that you should have more control over the sayber, as Tyler said. Maybe a parry system? Perhaps a button you press, and if you time it correctly you block oncoming moves. If you block fast enough, it could look like the movies. Then again, that might not work well with the "make your own swing" thing. Ah, I dont know, leave this to the developers

:confused:

As a side note, LOTR: return of the King for the PS2 has something like this, you can use one of the analog sticks to swing your sword, and it has a parry button. I dont think its complex enough for a JK game though.

you can use one of the analog sticks to swing your sword

But thats the thing. PC's don't have multiple mice. You have the keyboard, and the mouse. One can be used for free-look the other for attacking.

And do you want to use the keyboard for free-look?

As far as saber styles and blocking goes. I have lots of projects that I'm working on to round them out. But the lack of coders in the community limits my progress.

I do think it would work if the keyboard commands were switched over the to mouse using the same exact system though. Even if Free-look would be comprimised.

Archived